Townhouses or Single Family Homes?

Townhouses or Single Family Homes?

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hey guys. Newbie here. I'm thinking of buying my first rental property but I'm having trouble deciding to go with a townhouse or a single family home. I haven't looked into complexes yet, but want to start with at least 1 property to see if this is for me. I have around 50k to start so that should get me something around 250k.

I've read a lot of the articles on here, and know the importance of cash flow. Any advice/anecdotes would be appreciated. Thanks!

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 380 posts · 588 votes
5y

@Jason Bentz I view the 1% rule as a baseline on deals. It is a great figure to calculate, but sometimes you have to go with what your gut says. If you're unsure of a deal you can always put it on BiggerPockets and let other users chime in. Also, what is the ROI long term? Do you plan on holding on this to for a few years, ten years, 30 years?

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    @Jason Bentz the answer is... it depends. Many townhomes have HOA charges. But, some single families do too. In general you'll have less flexibility to do any value-add to a townhome because the footprint is fixed. Run numbers on both.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 380 posts · 588 votes
    5y

    @Jason Bentz Adding to what @Nicholas L. said, you need to find the right investment property that makes sense for you. I wouldn't hone in on one or the other, instead let your Realtor know you are interested in both. Once you have some options and are ready to make a bid then run the numbers and see what investment is going to give you the best cash flow. 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thank you both for the responses. I'm in the ATL market, and something around here is usually 250k but only rents out for at most 1500 a month. I'm not sure how much I should stick to the 1% rule, but this definitely comes up short. What are your thoughts there? @Tanvir Sattar @Nicholas L.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 380 posts · 588 votes
    5y

    @Jason Bentz I view the 1% rule as a baseline on deals. It is a great figure to calculate, but sometimes you have to go with what your gut says. If you're unsure of a deal you can always put it on BiggerPockets and let other users chime in. Also, what is the ROI long term? Do you plan on holding on this to for a few years, ten years, 30 years?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.