Should I refinance, cash out refinance, or get a HELOC

Should I refinance, cash out refinance, or get a HELOC

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 7 votes

So I currently have three rentals, 2 houses and a condo. I want to convert the garage in each home to an ADU. I can do about 60 percent of the work myself. Since I can still do conventional I will be refinancing the condo (worth 240k, owe 140k) for a lower rate from 5% to 3 something. In terms of getting funds in order to do the ADU conversions. Is it a smarter idea to do a cash out refinance on the condo, or do a HELOC on one of the houses I have about 200k in equity in? I will be refinancing the condo either way in order to lower the payments and get a lower interest rate.

0Reply
9 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2019 · 391 posts · 140 votes
    5y

    @Eli Yachini

    If you plan to lower the rate either way in the condo I would think that the Cashout option is going to better suit your needs. That will depend however on how much cash out you want.

    The rates will differ on a rate/term vs a cash out. You’ll want to compare the two to see to find out if it’s worth it for the amount of cash vs interest savings.

    A Heloc would most likely be available as well after doing a max LTV Cashout if you wanted more.

    If you are interested in comparing the options feel free to reach out to me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.