Investing in building a residential house.

Investing in building a residential house.

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi, I am a newbie. Recently, I and my partners were able to get an investor who is willing to invest up to 0.6 million dollars. The investor is interested in buying land in NJ then build a residential one or two-family house then sell it. Then use the money to invest in buying another land to avoid sale taxes. I started by creating an LLC company. My next step is to become a general contractor so later I can give out some subcontracts to get the job done. currently, I am in the learning process. First question is where I could find a worthy land given the current market status? How to know if this land worth the investment or not? What I should be careful about while in the process of buying the land, during the construction, and selling the house? Any book, articles, Youtube videos, or websites recommendations that will be helpful for me?
In the end, any advice worth to know? Thanks very much !!!

0Reply
10 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Hudson County, NJ · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 110 votes
    5y

    @Seif Elkhouly

    Funny enough I am building something at the moment in North NJ. I am using a GC who I know which may be slightly different than your situation but for my deal I know the area and zoning so I was able to calculate and pull the trigger on the deal.

    Feel free for DM me and I can try to see how I can help you. 

  • Pomona, NY · Member since 2016 · 375 posts · 217 votes
    5y

    @Seif Elkhouly do you have any experience at all in real estate or construction? Is the investor giving you 400k or 6 million to work with? If your completely novice you just got really lucky finding an investor willing to front that kind of cash to a newbie. In the event you are a newbie then you best bet would be to team up with a builder for your first few properties. Theirs alot that goes into turning raw land into buildable lots. Unless you fine approved building lots then that takes alot of the guess work and headaches out of the process, expect to pay alot more for an already approved lot. Also find and vet agents in your area who are well seasoned and know what they're looking for in terms of good buildable salable land.

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y
    @Michael Gessner Thansk for your respond!! I had worked in construction as a helper for a guy who do pluming, tiles, kitchen, roofing,Sheetrocks. BUT I has no clue about foundation and framming or who I should hire. the investor willing to give up to 600000 dollars. Also,I found land that is salable but undersize so I will need to obtain a zoning variance, Is it risky to buy it and try to get exception? can I write in the land contract that if I was not able to get exception to get the money back?

    Also, I used zillow and got in contact with a real state agent but he gave me lands that I already had access to and had alot of issues. So how I can find more realstate agents and vet them. Thanks very much!!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.