Buying Commercial Building and Renting it to myself

Buying Commercial Building and Renting it to myself

Sackets Harbor, NY · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 4 votes

So I am renting a building for $650/month, the building is for sale. I'm thinking about buying the building and I think I can get it for about $50K. Yes, you read that right. $50,000. I can pay the building in cash, and own it out right. The building is in rough shape but it current functions fine for the current business that's in there. I believe the business I have in there can easily do $275k - $300k in sales a year. I'm going to use a real estate LLC to buy the building and rent it to my current LLC that is in there. I think I can BRRR this place in order to get equity and buy more buildings.

What things should I be looking for when I buy it? I plan on making an offer on the contingency that the building passes inspection.

If running the numbers what should the building be sold for?

I have been learning about CRE for the last year, and this would be my first purchase. I'm trying to buy it before someone else does, and jacks the rent on me.

Any comments, suggestions?

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 150 posts · 54 votes
5y

Hey Ryan,

Looks like a great find however I recommend inspect the title and make sure is free of easements, encumbrances, and clouds. 

Hope this helps,

Sincerely

Claudio Salvatorelli

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 150 posts · 54 votes
    5y

    Hey Ryan,

    Looks like a great find however I recommend inspect the title and make sure is free of easements, encumbrances, and clouds. 

    Hope this helps,

    Sincerely

    Claudio Salvatorelli

  • Sackets Harbor, NY · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Claudio Salvatorelli

    Thanks! What’s a cloud? I mean, besides the obvious answer.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 150 posts · 54 votes
    5y

    Your welcome, 

    Basically, a cloud on title is any document, claim, unreleased lien, or encumbrance that might invalidate or impair a title to real property or make the title doubtful. Clouds on the title are usually discovered during a title search.

    I found that exact definition in Investopedia all the credits are to them, Long story short, you should run a title search before investing in it, especially if you pay cash for it.

    Hope this helps,

    Claudio Salvatorelli

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y

    The net financial benefit should be positive over like a 10 year period as long as you don't lose focus on your business because of maintenance and repairs.  

    In addition to a good title search like Claudio mentions,  I like to call the city and make sure there aren't any actions pending against the property or changes in zoning, allowable uses, etc.  Those and utility bills won't show on a title report. 

  • Sackets Harbor, NY · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Steve Vaughan the great part about the property is I’m buying it from a government development agency. So they did die diligence before they bought it. They just sent me the environmental assessment they had done on the property about 3 years ago.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.