Advice on best salary compensation for RE Investing

Advice on best salary compensation for RE Investing

Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes

As the title states I am interested in hearing opinions on what people on here think is my best option for salary compensation to allow for long term wealth and RE investing. I currently work a J.O.B. that i enjoy where I have the choice to be paid through an Indexed Universal Life Insurance Policy or just a standard paycheck. The job offers no IRA or 401k options but I can place money into a Roth IRA or a Roth 503B if I choose. By participating in the IUL I am able to reduce my taxable income while taking a loan against the cash value. I was told I can withdraw up to 80% of the cash value without worry of defaulting on the policy and undergoing a taxable event. My work pays all the premiums for the policy so I don't pay the costs like individuals would have to if they chose to do an IUL. I am also eligible for a state pension but the money paid out eventually in this pension would not include the money placed in the IUL. So my question is what would people on here do? Would you elect to put a large portion of pay into this IUL which will hopefully build cash value and I could loan against to invest in RE or would you elect not to participate and opt for higher taxes out of your paycheck but have a higher state pension amount in the end which could mean less money for RE investments? My tendency is to utilize the IUL to help build cash value while investing in RE since my company is the one paying the premiums while I'm working. Is this a risky or a smart strategy? What am I missing? I have some friends who said stay away from IUL but I feel this situation may be different since the company pays the premiums? Just don't want to end up getting screwed in the future because I was naive to something from the start and felt this community would be best to help advise me. Thanks in advance for any insight/advice.

0Reply
11 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Broward County, FL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
    5y

    Personally, I would go all the way with the IUL as it will lower your earned income and is protected against creditor. You can also store away way much more money than in an IRA or 403. Last, life insurance usually are not counted for financial aid tuition purpose for your kids.

    However, be aware that by lowering your earned income, you are lowering your social security wages for retirement and will also look less suitable for a lender who relies on w2 income.

    Just make sure that the insurance carrier used by your employer is a highly rated one as your main risk is that the insurance company does not honor its contract with you. Also, verify the way the policy is structured to have it maximum overfunded, where the death benefit is minimized with the maximum allowed premium going mainly to the cash value.

    Regarding rate of return of IUL, while appearing on the surface a little bit lower than the stock market, if you take into account the indexing feature that avoid any loss if the market crashes, you will find that it is very competitive with it. But where the life insurance shines, is during the disbursement phase where you can expect to take out around 7 to 8% every year until age 120 thanks to the loan feature that let the full value growths. With a regular retirement plan, it is not recommended to withdraw more than 3 to 4% every year if you want to make it last 30 years. And last but not least, the life insurance will give you heirs tax free a big lump sum, even if you pass away in your early years.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.