Best market for a newbie?

Best market for a newbie?

Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 133 posts · 88 votes

So I am in the planning stages of starting my real estate investing career and obviously a very important piece is planning the right market to start in. My strategy is to buy and hold small multifamily units that are cash flowing and, ideally, appreciating as well. I have looked at some markets and realized that they are flooded. I want to get into a market that is profitable - that is affordable, with high rents. My starting range is properties in the 100-120k range. Does anyone have suggestions?

The markets I was originally looking at were Phoenix, Houston and LV. However, it seems like they are very competetive markets. For me to be successful out of the gate, I'm thinking I need a market that isn't as busy. I have a couple other ideas, but I would love to hear what ya'll think.

Thanks!

0Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
13y

Welcome Tyson,

Others will argue but my rule of thumb especially for small SFR/MF is 2 hours travel distance (include airport wait time).

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Paul CoxPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Manassas, VA · Member since 2013 · 193 posts · 156 votes
    12y

    Great Dialog here...Thanks for getting it started Tyson and thanks for all the great responses...Learning more everyday!

    Paul

  • investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 26 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    Hey there @Ali Boone ,

    Thank you for all your helpful contributions on BP!  I'm curious to get your feedback as to which cities are currently good markets (for sfr rehabbers) to find deals on the mls? Or do you know of any colleagues that are having success working the mls, if so where? (As a measure of success I consider at least 1 acquisition per month).

    I understand many investors don't use the mls much or at all (as direct mail is preferred) which is proving difficult to find current answers for my question.

    In addition to Ali, if anyone knows of successful mls markets please post here or PM me, I greatly appreciate your help!

    Happy REI to you all!

    Jessica

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Jessica Stevens

    Unfortunately I don't work with MLS properties or rehab properties, so I can't help much. For rehabbing in general, it depends if you are flipping the rehab for resale or holding it for cash flow as to what markets are good. But for MLS, I can't say.

    Curious why you want only MLS properties?

  • investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 26 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    Thanks for your reply @Ali Boone 

    It will most likely be for fix/flip at least initially, as this is the method I've been exposed to and learning the ins/outs by local investors.

    I know it may sound a bit ludicrous to some (yes I've read the forums lol) but it's only for a starting point, I will also be implementing direct mail.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.