Hot neighborhoods in southern Minnesota

Hot neighborhoods in southern Minnesota

Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 7 votes

We have a large chunk of money sitting in our high yield savings doing nothing that we would like to invest in real estate. We are looking for two properties to start- a multi-family and a single family home to get our feet wet.

We have a large family in southern Minnesota (in laws) so it feels like the best first place to invest out of state because of the connections and boots on the ground. Additionally, we have some out of work family members we’d love to support with work, rather than gifting cash. We live in San Diego so besides holding our personal house, we aren’t interested in competing in this expensive market despite all of my connections in this market.

Does anyone have any suggestions on cities/neighborhoods to focus on in southern Minnesota? Or any general guidance on investing that is Minnesota focused would be highly appreciated.

2Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Owatonna, MN · Member since 2017 · 221 posts · 152 votes
5y

@Shane Farmer hi Shane, I'm an investor and agent in southern MN. I'd be happy to connect!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Bloomington MN (bloomington, mn) · Member since 2016 · 451 posts · 263 votes
    5y

    @Shane Farmer you would have to be more specific. SW Minnesota has nothing for population or economy and SE Minnesota has a decent amount depending the area. I would also suggest not hiring family to do work. It almost always backfires

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Anshus thanks Daniel. You interested in taking us on as clients?

  • Realtor · Bloomington MN (bloomington, mn) · Member since 2016 · 451 posts · 263 votes
    5y

    @Shane Farmer depending on the area. I don’t work far south Minnesota. I don’t do anything south of lakeville but I could definitely have a conversation with you and see what you’re thinking. And if anything could try and refer you to a great agent that works more south than I do

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 254 posts · 228 votes
    5y

    @Shane Farmer I might suggest Mankato or Rochester suburbs, or southern suburbs of Minneapolis - St Paul. Good luck find a deal however, as I think with most decently sized economically strong metros you'll have a difficult time finding even 1% deals, unless you're willing to take on the challenges of the inner city, which are alright if you have local knowledge and the correct systems in place. 

    I echo Daniel's advice about working with family, tensions can build quickly, and I'd HIGHLY recommend building a team you can work with on a purely professional level. Don't want to be calling uncle Jim about pickup up the pace, and furthermore that the whole room was painted the wrong color, etc.. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lakeville · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Shane Farmer  Hi Shane. Small world seeing your post on here. We both went to USD at the same time. I’m an investor/realtor in the Southern MN area and specialize in rental properties. I would be happy to jump on the phone and give you my thoughts on the area and the market around here right now. I just invited you to connect to direct message my contact info.

  • Real Estate Agent · Owatonna, MN · Member since 2017 · 221 posts · 152 votes
    5y

    @Shane Farmer hi Shane, I'm an investor and agent in southern MN. I'd be happy to connect!

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Anshus we're actually looking anywhere along the 35 corridor south of MSP/St Paul OR suburbs of The Cities to
    help with the clarification.

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Noah Chappell Thank you. We're starting with family but fully invested in building out a team. It's just a way to get our feet under us as we start on our journey. We're not locked in to any area in particular so if there are areas where we could be finding 1% deals then we're open to it.

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Tyler Putrah wow, no kidding it's a small world! Yes, I'd love to jump on a call. Thank you for the offer. I'll accept the invite and we can connect from there.

    Shane

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Dillon Dale that would be wonderful! I'm really trying to build my contact and knowledge base back in MN now as we begin this process. I moved after I graduated HS so it's been a while since I've been able to get my finger on the pulse of the area.

  • Realtor · Bloomington MN (bloomington, mn) · Member since 2016 · 451 posts · 263 votes
    5y

    @Shane Farmer hey Shane in that case I would love to connect with you and see how I can help. I can provide you some good wholesalers in the area so you can get on some email lists.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.