How to find a general contractor to look at houses with?

How to find a general contractor to look at houses with?

Real Estate Agent · Wethersfield, CT · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 3 votes

Hi all,

I have for years been interested in flipping a house. I have a team in place to buy or sell property, but missing that all important member to fix a property.

Over the years I have learned how much some things cost, but still not comfortable looking at a property and estimating it's reno. How do I find a contractor willing to look at properties, and estimate a renovation for me? Are there steps to take, is that even a thing or do I have to just buy a property and find a contractor afterwards and hope for the best?

Thank you

0Reply
13 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brad HammondBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    5y

    Hey @Carlos Querido, finding a great contractor is really important in the process.  Ideally you would have one lined up before you give them a huge project like a flip.  Can you find smaller projects for them to do first?

    When you are walking around with a contractor, you will want to tell them in detail what you want to be done so they can give you an accurate bid.  If you are going to have a contractor come out a do a few bids but don't commit to them doing the work, you should give them $100-$200 for their time.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.