National hard money lenders manufactured new construction QUESTION

National hard money lenders manufactured new construction QUESTION

Lender · Lake Geneva WI, USA · Member since 2023 · 141 posts · 72 votes

I wanted to ask the lenders who are doing business across all 50 states, what challenges have you encountered with lending in new construction when it comes to manufactured homes? What deals are you passing on? What deals make you excited? How can you read a deal as a slam dunk and what does that look like for you? Location? Numbers? 

Why are most lenders afraid of manufactured new construction? 

Why do most lenders shy away from property type: manufactured, during refinancing into DSCR?

I would like to learn more, as I am gearing up for a new construction project myself. I am debating if I should go manufactured or not. I was speaking with one lender, but he did not like the prefab I had chosen. The other prefabs out there make the deal almost undoable to the point that it'd be better to go with a stick build at those numbers. 

For this instance, the area has comps supporting manufactured. There is demand for it and demand in this area for affordable housing, in a tourist area where plenty of people have vacant, second/third homes for seasonal fishing and hunting. (wisconsin)

How can I best position myself in this deal where the lender is comfortable and we have a solid prefab, but also workable to where I can keep my sale price competitive and build costs down.

This lot is within spitting distance of the lake. Perfect lake view. Manufactured housing all around. Plenty of comps and market data to support second/third house claim. Plenty of houses in the 400k range that sit over 80DOM because low buyer demand, low buyer ability. People want affordable housing, with the amenities, but is manufactured really going to scare off most lenders? What troubles will come after construction and attempting to sell? 

Thank you

1Reply
28 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Hi Jacob, great questions. I'm a lending manager with 120 loan officers under me and 2 of my great friends and colleagues specialize in manufactured lending 

    The reason most lenders don't do them is because:
    1. They are not familiar with the product type
    2. The outlet for the loan type in the secondaries market is limited
    3. Demand for the product has been low historically
    4. Not enough income for lenders compared to what else is out there for them

    The biggest thing is the lot but other factors like the actual manufactured unit being quality and up to code helps a lot.  Access to water, electricity, etc is kind of non negotiable if you want access to most lenders.  If you want me to take a closer look on something I am happy to!

    Hope this helps!

  • Lender · Lake Geneva WI, USA · Member since 2023 · 141 posts · 72 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sam Abazari:

    Hi Jacob, great questions. I'm a lending manager with 120 loan officers under me and 2 of my great friends and colleagues specialize in manufactured lending 

    The reason most lenders don't do them is because:
    1. They are not familiar with the product type
    2. The outlet for the loan type in the secondaries market is limited
    3. Demand for the product has been low historically
    4. Not enough income for lenders compared to what else is out there for them

    The biggest thing is the lot but other factors like the actual manufactured unit being quality and up to code helps a lot.  Access to water, electricity, etc is kind of non negotiable if you want access to most lenders.  If you want me to take a closer look on something I am happy to!

    Hope this helps!

    Thank you for the reply Sam, that is good to know.
  • Lender · Lake Geneva WI, USA · Member since 2023 · 141 posts · 72 votes
    1y

    seems all the lenders are ignoring my question

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hi Jacob, 

    There are DSCR and Hard Money Lenders that will finance a manufactured home as long as it is not in a rural area, and there is no land lease. The home also needs to be built after 1975.

    New construction might be more of a challenge. I would suggest looking at commercial banks or credit unions in the area to see if this is available. 

    The reason why many lenders shy away from Manufactured Homes In general, is because there is not a lot of business for it for them to feel comfortable lending on it. It may also be because it is a riskier asset type, may be harder to foreclose, etc.. I would give it some time for lenders to catch up on this type of property. I am seeing more lenders starting to offer manufactured home loans, that normally did not. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Lender · Lake Geneva WI, USA · Member since 2023 · 141 posts · 72 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Erik Estrada:

    Hi Jacob, 

    There are DSCR and Hard Money Lenders that will finance a manufactured home as long as it is not in a rural area, and there is no land lease. The home also needs to be built after 1975.

    New construction might be more of a challenge. I would suggest looking at commercial banks or credit unions in the area to see if this is available. 

    The reason why many lenders shy away from Manufactured Homes In general, is because there is not a lot of business for it for them to feel comfortable lending on it. It may also be because it is a riskier asset type, may be harder to foreclose, etc.. I would give it some time for lenders to catch up on this type of property. I am seeing more lenders starting to offer manufactured home loans, that normally did not. 


     I appreciate your insight, at 100% of its value

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.