Part investment and primary question in regards to a lender

Part investment and primary question in regards to a lender

Homeowner · Key Largo FL and Palm Harbor FL · Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 7 votes

I'll try to be short here. The scenario is moving from one area of Florida to another. Will sell primary to buy another primary but as life goes one will not sell at the same as I want to buy nor do I want to be rushed. Also own a secondary with thoughts of perhaps selling it as well. If I find what I want before the current primary sells it would seem the only option is to do a HELOC as I intend to repay it within a year or less. I would think a conventional "temp" loan would be foolish cost wise with closing costs as they will be and interest rates or maybe interest rates would be better. Not sure.

If I do the HELOC I could essentially pay cash for either the new primary or most of it or pay cash for another secondary and basically swap out secondary's in essence and wait to find the perfect primary. Intention is to later rent out the new found secondary after getting the new primary.

My question is two fold here. One is the scenario I propose a good idea both financially and tax wise if anyone knows. The other is what is the best way to do this financing with the least amount of output cost on closings, etc... Of course I could just sit and wait for the current to sell and then pay cash for my new primary. But....one of us has to go ahead of the other for work until the house sells and hopes are to not be apart for too many months with this transition and properties in play. With said scenario rent falls into the equation if no purchase is made soon which to me is literally throwing money away or giving it to someone else basically bleeding money with zero ROI later on.


Thoughts? Advise? Please let me know if I have not explained this clearly. There is so much math involved and I have myself doubting all the scenarios to see which is clearly the best way. Being both investor and primary buyer and seller is daunting today so I decided to reach out to see what opinions or thoughts are here. 

Thank you in advance for your responses!

0Reply
192 views

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Sanford, NC · Member since 2024 · 348 posts · 116 votes
    11mo

    You've thought this through really well, but I'd take a closer look before jumping into a HELOC. It can definitely work short-term, but since it's tied to your current primary, you're taking on new debt right before selling, and that could impact your debt-to-income ratio or cause issues if the sale drags out.

    A bridge loan might actually make more sense here, even though the costs are higher upfront. It gives you more breathing room if the transition between homes takes longer than expected, and it doesn't tie up your current property quite the same way a HELOC does.

    If you're confident your home will sell soon and you're comfortable with the short-term risk, the HELOC is fine. But if there's any uncertainty about timing, I'd lean toward a bridge loan or even negotiating a rent-back period after selling, just to keep things flexible.

    If you have enough equity in your current home, the HELOC gives you the freedom to move forward without rushing the sale and since interest is only paid on what you use, it keeps things manageable during the overlap period.

    The only thing to watch is timing and market conditions. If your current home takes longer to sell, make sure you're comfortable with the HELOC payments in the meantime. Also check if your lender charges any prepayment penalties or early closure fees.

    From a tax perspective, since both homes are personal residences (not investments), the main thing is tracking potential capital gains and how long you’ve lived in the current property before selling.

    You’re in a tricky spot, but balancing convenience and cost here will save a lot of stress later.

    • Homeowner · Key Largo FL and Palm Harbor FL · Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 7 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Deborah Wodell:

      You've thought this through really well, but I'd take a closer look before jumping into a HELOC. It can definitely work short-term, but since it's tied to your current primary, you're taking on new debt right before selling, and that could impact your debt-to-income ratio or cause issues if the sale drags out.

      A bridge loan might actually make more sense here, even though the costs are higher upfront. It gives you more breathing room if the transition between homes takes longer than expected, and it doesn't tie up your current property quite the same way a HELOC does.

      If you're confident your home will sell soon and you're comfortable with the short-term risk, the HELOC is fine. But if there's any uncertainty about timing, I'd lean toward a bridge loan or even negotiating a rent-back period after selling, just to keep things flexible.

      If you have enough equity in your current home, the HELOC gives you the freedom to move forward without rushing the sale and since interest is only paid on what you use, it keeps things manageable during the overlap period.

      The only thing to watch is timing and market conditions. If your current home takes longer to sell, make sure you're comfortable with the HELOC payments in the meantime. Also check if your lender charges any prepayment penalties or early closure fees.

      From a tax perspective, since both homes are personal residences (not investments), the main thing is tracking potential capital gains and how long you’ve lived in the current property before selling.

      You’re in a tricky spot, but balancing convenience and cost here will save a lot of stress later.

      Thank you Deborah for your input. Yes, I never jump anymore without having all my ducks in a row. I've learned many financial lessons the hard way in the past. Fortunately my current home is in a destination location sought out by those who want to have a home in paradise whether as a primary or secondary so not worried about it taking long to sell but it could so I agree I have to be comfortable with the HELOC idea. I did think of a bridge loan but as you said the costs are more. 

      After long discussions my husband want to turn our current secondary into a rental so for now that is off the table and will only focus on current primary to new primary. But also thought if we found a new found secondary that we might purchase that first, live in it temporarily giving us more time to find the primary we really want without feeling rushed finding a new one after the current primary sells but realizing that may be tough with DTI as any lender will see 2 existing mortgages until the primary sells. As a lender how is that perceived by most lenders? I mean if we have super excellent credit, reserves and a 20% down payment but the DTI won't look good until the primary is sold will a lender even look at us? I wonder. I do hate throwing money to the wind when avoidable! :)
    • Lender · Sanford, NC · Member since 2024 · 348 posts · 116 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Ruth Schrader-Grace:
      Quote from @Deborah Wodell:

      You've thought this through really well, but I'd take a closer look before jumping into a HELOC. It can definitely work short-term, but since it's tied to your current primary, you're taking on new debt right before selling, and that could impact your debt-to-income ratio or cause issues if the sale drags out.

      A bridge loan might actually make more sense here, even though the costs are higher upfront. It gives you more breathing room if the transition between homes takes longer than expected, and it doesn't tie up your current property quite the same way a HELOC does.

      If you're confident your home will sell soon and you're comfortable with the short-term risk, the HELOC is fine. But if there's any uncertainty about timing, I'd lean toward a bridge loan or even negotiating a rent-back period after selling, just to keep things flexible.

      If you have enough equity in your current home, the HELOC gives you the freedom to move forward without rushing the sale and since interest is only paid on what you use, it keeps things manageable during the overlap period.

      The only thing to watch is timing and market conditions. If your current home takes longer to sell, make sure you're comfortable with the HELOC payments in the meantime. Also check if your lender charges any prepayment penalties or early closure fees.

      From a tax perspective, since both homes are personal residences (not investments), the main thing is tracking potential capital gains and how long you’ve lived in the current property before selling.

      You’re in a tricky spot, but balancing convenience and cost here will save a lot of stress later.

      Thank you Deborah for your input. Yes, I never jump anymore without having all my ducks in a row. I've learned many financial lessons the hard way in the past. Fortunately my current home is in a destination location sought out by those who want to have a home in paradise whether as a primary or secondary so not worried about it taking long to sell but it could so I agree I have to be comfortable with the HELOC idea. I did think of a bridge loan but as you said the costs are more. 

      After long discussions my husband want to turn our current secondary into a rental so for now that is off the table and will only focus on current primary to new primary. But also thought if we found a new found secondary that we might purchase that first, live in it temporarily giving us more time to find the primary we really want without feeling rushed finding a new one after the current primary sells but realizing that may be tough with DTI as any lender will see 2 existing mortgages until the primary sells. As a lender how is that perceived by most lenders? I mean if we have super excellent credit, reserves and a 20% down payment but the DTI won't look good until the primary is sold will a lender even look at us? I wonder. I do hate throwing money to the wind when avoidable! :)

      You're absolutely right to think it through carefully. Most lenders will look at your full picture through credit, reserves, down payment, and overall financial strength not just DTI in isolation. Having excellent credit and strong reserves definitely helps.

      In some cases, a lender can use an estimated rental income from the property you're planning to keep (or list for rent) to help offset that mortgage in the DTI calculation. Documentation like a signed lease or market rent analysis can make a big difference.

      If you find that perfect secondary home first, there are ways to structure the financing to make it work smoothly until your current primary sells. 



      After long discussions my husband want to turn our current secondary into a rental so for now that is off the table and will only focus on current primary to new primary. But also thought if we found a new found secondary that we might purchase that first, live in it temporarily giving us more time to find the primary we really want without feeling rushed finding a new one after the current primary sells but realizing that may be tough with DTI as any lender will see 2 existing mortgages until the primary sells. As a lender how is that perceived by most lenders? I mean if we have super excellent credit, reserves and a 20% down payment but the DTI won't look good until the primary is sold will a lender even look at us? I wonder. I do hate throwing money to the wind when avoidable! :)Thank you Deborah for your input. Yes, I never jump anymore without having all my ducks in a row. I've learned many financial lessons the hard way in the past. Fortunately my current home is in a destination location sought out by those who want to have a home in paradise whether as a primary or secondary so not worried about it taking long to sell but it could so I agree I have to be comfortable with the HELOC idea. I did think of a bridge loan but as you said the costs are more.

      After long discussions my husband want to turn our current secondary into a rental so for now that is off the table and will only focus on current primary to new primary. But also thought if we found a new found secondary that we might purchase that first, live in it temporarily giving us more time to find the primary we really want without feeling rushed finding a new one after the current primary sells but realizing that may be tough with DTI as any lender will see 2 existing mortgages until the primary sells. As a lender how is that perceived by most lenders? I mean if we have super excellent credit, reserves and a 20% down payment but the DTI won't look good until the primary is sold will a lender even look at us? I wonder. I do hate throwing money to the wind when avoidable! :)
    • Homeowner · Key Largo FL and Palm Harbor FL · Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 7 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Deborah Wodell:
      Quote from @Ruth Schrader-Grace:
      Quote from @Deborah Wodell:

      You've thought this through really well, but I'd take a closer look before jumping into a HELOC. It can definitely work short-term, but since it's tied to your current primary, you're taking on new debt right before selling, and that could impact your debt-to-income ratio or cause issues if the sale drags out.

      A bridge loan might actually make more sense here, even though the costs are higher upfront. It gives you more breathing room if the transition between homes takes longer than expected, and it doesn't tie up your current property quite the same way a HELOC does.

      If you're confident your home will sell soon and you're comfortable with the short-term risk, the HELOC is fine. But if there's any uncertainty about timing, I'd lean toward a bridge loan or even negotiating a rent-back period after selling, just to keep things flexible.

      If you have enough equity in your current home, the HELOC gives you the freedom to move forward without rushing the sale and since interest is only paid on what you use, it keeps things manageable during the overlap period.

      The only thing to watch is timing and market conditions. If your current home takes longer to sell, make sure you're comfortable with the HELOC payments in the meantime. Also check if your lender charges any prepayment penalties or early closure fees.

      From a tax perspective, since both homes are personal residences (not investments), the main thing is tracking potential capital gains and how long you’ve lived in the current property before selling.

      You’re in a tricky spot, but balancing convenience and cost here will save a lot of stress later.

      Thank you Deborah for your input. Yes, I never jump anymore without having all my ducks in a row. I've learned many financial lessons the hard way in the past. Fortunately my current home is in a destination location sought out by those who want to have a home in paradise whether as a primary or secondary so not worried about it taking long to sell but it could so I agree I have to be comfortable with the HELOC idea. I did think of a bridge loan but as you said the costs are more. 

      After long discussions my husband want to turn our current secondary into a rental so for now that is off the table and will only focus on current primary to new primary. But also thought if we found a new found secondary that we might purchase that first, live in it temporarily giving us more time to find the primary we really want without feeling rushed finding a new one after the current primary sells but realizing that may be tough with DTI as any lender will see 2 existing mortgages until the primary sells. As a lender how is that perceived by most lenders? I mean if we have super excellent credit, reserves and a 20% down payment but the DTI won't look good until the primary is sold will a lender even look at us? I wonder. I do hate throwing money to the wind when avoidable! :)

      You're absolutely right to think it through carefully. Most lenders will look at your full picture through credit, reserves, down payment, and overall financial strength not just DTI in isolation. Having excellent credit and strong reserves definitely helps.

      In some cases, a lender can use an estimated rental income from the property you're planning to keep (or list for rent) to help offset that mortgage in the DTI calculation. Documentation like a signed lease or market rent analysis can make a big difference.

      If you find that perfect secondary home first, there are ways to structure the financing to make it work smoothly until your current primary sells. 



      After long discussions my husband want to turn our current secondary into a rental so for now that is off the table and will only focus on current primary to new primary. But also thought if we found a new found secondary that we might purchase that first, live in it temporarily giving us more time to find the primary we really want without feeling rushed finding a new one after the current primary sells but realizing that may be tough with DTI as any lender will see 2 existing mortgages until the primary sells. As a lender how is that perceived by most lenders? I mean if we have super excellent credit, reserves and a 20% down payment but the DTI won't look good until the primary is sold will a lender even look at us? I wonder. I do hate throwing money to the wind when avoidable! :)Thank you Deborah for your input. Yes, I never jump anymore without having all my ducks in a row. I've learned many financial lessons the hard way in the past. Fortunately my current home is in a destination location sought out by those who want to have a home in paradise whether as a primary or secondary so not worried about it taking long to sell but it could so I agree I have to be comfortable with the HELOC idea. I did think of a bridge loan but as you said the costs are more.

      After long discussions my husband want to turn our current secondary into a rental so for now that is off the table and will only focus on current primary to new primary. But also thought if we found a new found secondary that we might purchase that first, live in it temporarily giving us more time to find the primary we really want without feeling rushed finding a new one after the current primary sells but realizing that may be tough with DTI as any lender will see 2 existing mortgages until the primary sells. As a lender how is that perceived by most lenders? I mean if we have super excellent credit, reserves and a 20% down payment but the DTI won't look good until the primary is sold will a lender even look at us? I wonder. I do hate throwing money to the wind when avoidable! :)

      Deborah- I actually just got deflated after attempting to do just that. Because of the 2 current mortgages soon to be 1 the DTI is to high. The idea of DSCR is good but the numbers given to me created a higher monthly output over temporarily renting so that doesn't work either. So perhaps I need to find another lender or program that can work. Time to shop around! Thank you again for your input.

  • Frankie VozziBusiness Member
    Member since 2025 · 335 posts · 82 votes
    11mo

    Hey Ruth I sent you a Dm, Happy to help!

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11mo

    @Ruth Schrader-Grace there are loans that will not hold your departing residence against your "debt to income" ratio.  Meaning, you can buy another primary home without the other home holding you up.  Not every lender has them but they do exist.

    • Homeowner · Key Largo FL and Palm Harbor FL · Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 7 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Andrew Postell:

      @Ruth Schrader-Grace there are loans that will not hold your departing residence against your "debt to income" ratio.  Meaning, you can buy another primary home without the other home holding you up.  Not every lender has them but they do exist.


       Andrew-Shy of a bridge loan there doesn't seem to be but appreciate the thought. But I will keep looking for a solution. Thank you.

    • Andrew PostellPro Member
      Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Ruth Schrader-Grace:
      Quote from @Andrew Postell:

      @Ruth Schrader-Grace there are loans that will not hold your departing residence against your "debt to income" ratio.  Meaning, you can buy another primary home without the other home holding you up.  Not every lender has them but they do exist.


       Andrew-Shy of a bridge loan there doesn't seem to be but appreciate the thought. But I will keep looking for a solution. Thank you.

       @Ruth Schrader-Grace these absolutely exist.  We write them.  Not bridge loans.  30 year fixed loans that won't hold your primary against you.  It's a different loan, so not a lot of lenders have them.

    • Homeowner · Key Largo FL and Palm Harbor FL · Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 7 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Andrew Postell:
      Quote from @Ruth Schrader-Grace:
      Quote from @Andrew Postell:

      @Ruth Schrader-Grace there are loans that will not hold your departing residence against your "debt to income" ratio.  Meaning, you can buy another primary home without the other home holding you up.  Not every lender has them but they do exist.


       Andrew-Shy of a bridge loan there doesn't seem to be but appreciate the thought. But I will keep looking for a solution. Thank you.

       @Ruth Schrader-Grace these absolutely exist.  We write them.  Not bridge loans.  30 year fixed loans that won't hold your primary against you.  It's a different loan, so not a lot of lenders have them.


       Andrew,

      Sent you a message.

      -Ruth

  • Lender · Cary, NC · Member since 2021 · 122 posts · 29 votes
    11mo

    Hi Ruth, 

    I am with The One Brokerage and have access to a Buy Before You Sell program. I am also happy to run a quick quote on your DSCR scenario.

    Lets connect!

    Cheers, Kate

    • Homeowner · Key Largo FL and Palm Harbor FL · Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 7 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Kate Nixon Taylor:

      Hi Ruth, 

      I am with The One Brokerage and have access to a Buy Before You Sell program. I am also happy to run a quick quote on your DSCR scenario.

      Lets connect!

      Cheers, Kate


       Kate,

      Sent you a message

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10mo

    Hey @Ruth Schrader-Grace – a little late to the party on this one, but I think you’re in a great position if you can figure everything out from the lending side. Being able to buy a new primary home while renting out your current one or secondary home that you mentioned is actually a dream scenario for many investors just starting because it lets you avoid the costs of getting a traditional investment property loan. The key is finding a lender who can help you qualify for this scenario you're going for, and you might need to line up a renter first and count that rental income toward your qualifying income (like Deborah said above).

    From a tax perspective, if you sell your current primary home and buy a new one while keeping your secondary and turning it into a rental, there are some key tax points to keep in mind. When you sell your primary, you could exclude up to $500K of gain if married and you’ve lived there at least 2 of the last 5 years, which is a huge benefit. Once your secondary becomes a rental, it opens up new tax advantages. You can start taking depreciation, deduct expenses like repairs, insurance, and property management, and offset rental income against your other income. It’s important to keep detailed records from the day it becomes a rental, because it changes how gains are treated if you sell it later. Thinking ahead and planning with a CPA is key and can help you strategize, save, avoid surprises, and even reinvest if you want! Happy to connect.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
    • Homeowner · Key Largo FL and Palm Harbor FL · Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 7 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Ashish Acharya:

      Hey @Ruth Schrader-Grace – a little late to the party on this one, but I think you’re in a great position if you can figure everything out from the lending side. Being able to buy a new primary home while renting out your current one or secondary home that you mentioned is actually a dream scenario for many investors just starting because it lets you avoid the costs of getting a traditional investment property loan. The key is finding a lender who can help you qualify for this scenario you're going for, and you might need to line up a renter first and count that rental income toward your qualifying income (like Deborah said above).

      From a tax perspective, if you sell your current primary home and buy a new one while keeping your secondary and turning it into a rental, there are some key tax points to keep in mind. When you sell your primary, you could exclude up to $500K of gain if married and you’ve lived there at least 2 of the last 5 years, which is a huge benefit. Once your secondary becomes a rental, it opens up new tax advantages. You can start taking depreciation, deduct expenses like repairs, insurance, and property management, and offset rental income against your other income. It’s important to keep detailed records from the day it becomes a rental, because it changes how gains are treated if you sell it later. Thinking ahead and planning with a CPA is key and can help you strategize, save, avoid surprises, and even reinvest if you want! Happy to connect.


       Ashish,

      Never too late to reply! However a turn of events now has us deciding to sell the secondary and buying a rental closer to the new primary in essence starting from scratch as opposed to turning the existing secondary into a rental. 

      I am curious how to avoid heavy tax ramifications from selling both in the same year. Yes the 500k exclusion for primary is slightly helpful but hoping to have enough cost basis to offset the remaining capital gain. Same for secondary.

    • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
      CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Ruth Schrader-Grace:
      Quote from @Ashish Acharya:

      Hey @Ruth Schrader-Grace – a little late to the party on this one, but I think you’re in a great position if you can figure everything out from the lending side. Being able to buy a new primary home while renting out your current one or secondary home that you mentioned is actually a dream scenario for many investors just starting because it lets you avoid the costs of getting a traditional investment property loan. The key is finding a lender who can help you qualify for this scenario you're going for, and you might need to line up a renter first and count that rental income toward your qualifying income (like Deborah said above).

      From a tax perspective, if you sell your current primary home and buy a new one while keeping your secondary and turning it into a rental, there are some key tax points to keep in mind. When you sell your primary, you could exclude up to $500K of gain if married and you’ve lived there at least 2 of the last 5 years, which is a huge benefit. Once your secondary becomes a rental, it opens up new tax advantages. You can start taking depreciation, deduct expenses like repairs, insurance, and property management, and offset rental income against your other income. It’s important to keep detailed records from the day it becomes a rental, because it changes how gains are treated if you sell it later. Thinking ahead and planning with a CPA is key and can help you strategize, save, avoid surprises, and even reinvest if you want! Happy to connect.


       Ashish,

      Never too late to reply! However a turn of events now has us deciding to sell the secondary and buying a rental closer to the new primary in essence starting from scratch as opposed to turning the existing secondary into a rental. 

      I am curious how to avoid heavy tax ramifications from selling both in the same year. Yes the 500k exclusion for primary is slightly helpful but hoping to have enough cost basis to offset the remaining capital gain. Same for secondary.

      Hey @Ruth Schrader-Grace,

      Glad to hear things are moving forward! For your primary, the $500K exclusion (if married) should help reduce the tax hit. Just make sure you meet the 2-out-of-5 years living requirement.

    • For the secondary, you’re right to focus on cost basis, renovations can help lower your taxable gain. If you rent it out before selling, you can also take depreciation, but remember, depreciation recapture will apply when you sell.

      If you do plan to rent it out, do it for at least a year or 2 to clearly establish it’s “held for investment.” Then a 1031 exchange could let you defer taxes on the secondary property’s sale if the proceeds go back into reinvesting into another rental.

      Definitely worth chatting with a CPA to map out the best approach for you. Let me know if you need more info!

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.