Investing from Abroad: Which Lenders Allow RON?

Investing from Abroad: Which Lenders Allow RON?

Investor · Ohio, USA · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 31 votes

Has anyone found a lender that allows Remote Online Notarization (RON) for closings?

I've been investing in real estate since 2020, and for most of that time I've been traveling the world as a digital nomad. My wife and I moved to Spain last year, where I'm pursuing citizenship, but I continue investing in U.S. real estate remotely through my LLC.

Last November, I purchased a property in Cleveland using a hard money loan. I'm now refinancing into a 30-year DSCR loan.

One challenge I've run into is closing documents. On my purchase, the lender wouldn't allow me to use Remote Online Notarization (RON). Instead, I had to go to the U.S. Consulate in Spain to have my documents notarized.

The experience was frustrating. Appointments were difficult to get, the consulate charges 50 Euros per notarized signature, and the process added roughly $1,000 (one wasted trip to Madrid) and two weeks (2 separate consulate appointments due to incomplete instructions) to my closing.

Ironically, during my second visit, the consulate staff were surprised I had to come back. They told me many people use RON and encouraged me to find lenders that allow it in the future.

Since then, I've asked several mortgage brokers and lenders I've worked with over the years, but I still haven't found one who can perform.

Has anyone here successfully closed with a lender that allows RON? I'm open to recommendations for lenders or mortgage brokers who have experience working with investors living overseas.

I'd also be curious if you've run into any limitations based on loan type, title company, or state.

I'd appreciate any firsthand recommendations or lessons learned.

1Reply
826 views

Most Popular Reply

Banker · MA · Member since 2026 · 120 posts · 32 votes
1mo

RON availability for overseas borrowers is genuinely inconsistent right now, and you've hit on one of the messier friction points in this space. The short version: it depends on the lender, the title/settlement company, AND the state where the property is located. All three have to be on board simultaneously, which is why so many lenders say yes in theory and then fall apart at closing.

For DSCR loans specifically, some non-QM lenders have started accommodating RON more reliably than conventional or agency products. The agency side (Fannie, Freddie) has been slow to standardize RON acceptance, so if a broker is pushing a conventional product, RON is harder to guarantee. Non-QM DSCR lenders have more flexibility in their closing instructions, which is where you're more likely to find a smooth path.

A few practical things worth asking upfront before you commit to a lender: (1) Does your specific title/closing agent accept RON? Sometimes the lender is fine with it but the title company they use isn't set up for it. (2) Is the property state RON-enabled? Ohio has been permissive, so that works in your favor. (3) Can they confirm RON approval in writing before you lock, because verbal assurances tend to evaporate at the closing table.

I work with DSCR loans regularly for investors in situations like yours, qualifying on the rental income rather than personal income, which also makes the overseas income documentation question simpler. On the RON piece specifically, I'd say your best move is to nail down the title company first, then find a lender whose closing team has actually done it, not just one that says they can. Getting a name of a specific escrow/closing officer who has completed a RON closing overseas is a better signal than a lender policy document.

James Driscoll

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Vijay FriedmanBusiness Member
    Miami, FL · Member since 2026 · 766 posts · 122 votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Remi Oguntoye:

    Has anyone found a lender that allows Remote Online Notarization (RON) for closings?

    I've been investing in real estate since 2020, and for most of that time I've been traveling the world as a digital nomad. My wife and I moved to Spain last year, where I'm pursuing citizenship, but I continue investing in U.S. real estate remotely through my LLC.

    Last November, I purchased a property in Cleveland using a hard money loan. I'm now refinancing into a 30-year DSCR loan.

    One challenge I've run into is closing documents. On my purchase, the lender wouldn't allow me to use Remote Online Notarization (RON). Instead, I had to go to the U.S. Consulate in Spain to have my documents notarized.

    The experience was frustrating. Appointments were difficult to get, the consulate charges 50 Euros per notarized signature, and the process added roughly $1,000 (one wasted trip to Madrid) and two weeks (2 separate consulate appointments due to incomplete instructions) to my closing.

    Ironically, during my second visit, the consulate staff were surprised I had to come back. They told me many people use RON and encouraged me to find lenders that allow it in the future.

    Since then, I've asked several mortgage brokers and lenders I've worked with over the years, but I still haven't found one who can perform.

    Has anyone here successfully closed with a lender that allows RON? I'm open to recommendations for lenders or mortgage brokers who have experience working with investors living overseas.

    I'd also be curious if you've run into any limitations based on loan type, title company, or state.

    I'd appreciate any firsthand recommendations or lessons learned.

    @Remi Oguntoye
    That's a frustrating experience, especially when you're investing remotely. One thing I've found is that the availability of RON often depends not only on the lender but also on the title company and the property's state. It may be worth asking potential lenders about their remote-closing process upfront so you know exactly what's supported before committing to a loan.

    DreamPoint Capital
  • Banker · MA · Member since 2026 · 120 posts · 32 votes
    1mo

    RON availability for overseas borrowers is genuinely inconsistent right now, and you've hit on one of the messier friction points in this space. The short version: it depends on the lender, the title/settlement company, AND the state where the property is located. All three have to be on board simultaneously, which is why so many lenders say yes in theory and then fall apart at closing.

    For DSCR loans specifically, some non-QM lenders have started accommodating RON more reliably than conventional or agency products. The agency side (Fannie, Freddie) has been slow to standardize RON acceptance, so if a broker is pushing a conventional product, RON is harder to guarantee. Non-QM DSCR lenders have more flexibility in their closing instructions, which is where you're more likely to find a smooth path.

    A few practical things worth asking upfront before you commit to a lender: (1) Does your specific title/closing agent accept RON? Sometimes the lender is fine with it but the title company they use isn't set up for it. (2) Is the property state RON-enabled? Ohio has been permissive, so that works in your favor. (3) Can they confirm RON approval in writing before you lock, because verbal assurances tend to evaporate at the closing table.

    I work with DSCR loans regularly for investors in situations like yours, qualifying on the rental income rather than personal income, which also makes the overseas income documentation question simpler. On the RON piece specifically, I'd say your best move is to nail down the title company first, then find a lender whose closing team has actually done it, not just one that says they can. Getting a name of a specific escrow/closing officer who has completed a RON closing overseas is a better signal than a lender policy document.

    James Driscoll

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Remi Oguntoye:

    Has anyone found a lender that allows Remote Online Notarization (RON) for closings?

    I've been investing in real estate since 2020, and for most of that time I've been traveling the world as a digital nomad. My wife and I moved to Spain last year, where I'm pursuing citizenship, but I continue investing in U.S. real estate remotely through my LLC.

    Last November, I purchased a property in Cleveland using a hard money loan. I'm now refinancing into a 30-year DSCR loan.

    One challenge I've run into is closing documents. On my purchase, the lender wouldn't allow me to use Remote Online Notarization (RON). Instead, I had to go to the U.S. Consulate in Spain to have my documents notarized.

    The experience was frustrating. Appointments were difficult to get, the consulate charges 50 Euros per notarized signature, and the process added roughly $1,000 (one wasted trip to Madrid) and two weeks (2 separate consulate appointments due to incomplete instructions) to my closing.

    Ironically, during my second visit, the consulate staff were surprised I had to come back. They told me many people use RON and encouraged me to find lenders that allow it in the future.

    Since then, I've asked several mortgage brokers and lenders I've worked with over the years, but I still haven't found one who can perform.

    Has anyone here successfully closed with a lender that allows RON? I'm open to recommendations for lenders or mortgage brokers who have experience working with investors living overseas.

    I'd also be curious if you've run into any limitations based on loan type, title company, or state.

    I'd appreciate any firsthand recommendations or lessons learned.

    I am investing in Cleveland & Columbus and happy to share my lenders.
    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    21h

    If you have someone that lives in the states, what has worked for some of my clients is having a POA to sign loan documents in the U.S. Alternatively you can structure the LLC where your partner that lives in the states is the PG instead of you. However if you want to remain as the PG, the POA works.

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.