Funding 100% of Purchase and Rehab Cost

19 Replies

To clarify a previous posting, are there any hard money or private lenders that would typically fund 100% of both the purchase and rehab cost on a SFR property?

An example to clarify..

Say the ARV on a fixer SFR property is $200,000. Seller agrees to sell it for $70,000 and the estimated repairs = $30,000. So both the total cost of both purchasing and rehabbing the property = $100,000 or 50% of the ARV.

Although most HML advertise they will fund up to 65% of ARV or higher, which in this case would be $130,000; some will actually only offer to fund 80% of both the purchase and repair cost (in this case $80,000) and require 20% or $20,000 down at closing from the rehabber. This would then mean the HML is only offering to fund 40% of ARV not the 65%.

Are there HMLs or private lenders that will fund 100% of both the purchase and repair cost of $100,000, which is below the ARV of $130,000?

Hard money lenders (reputable ones), from everything I have read here on BP and learned elsewhere, will require you to invest between 30-40% of your own capital. The HMLs want you to have your own skin in the game so to speak. I dont know of any that would lend otherwise but I see a lot of people asking about particular companies that offer 100% inancing. 9 times out of 10 the deal turns out to be too good to be true. 

@kenneth G   

I have been shopping lenders for several weeks now and I am finding inflated points and junk fees eat up a lot of my profit (22,500).  I just refuse to pay anyone so much money for something I have put the time and labor into. I am looking into an open line of credit through my bank secured by my home.  

Best of luck

Nadine

@Account Closed undefined

You are buying the property for $70k.  You are asking a lender to give you $100k up front and trust that you will make repairs instead of walking away with a $30k payday and dumping the property on them.  That is a risk no lender I know will take.

100% financing is a myth perpetuated by people that sell seminars to newbies.

The closest thing to 100% I have come to with rehab included has been partnering with someone with the money as a finance partner while putting all the sweat equity into the deal.  While still using a conventional lender, the partner puts up all the needed money while sitting back and watching the other partner do all the work and then split the proceeds 50/50. Everyone makes money, so it's a great deal for all parties involved and effectively accomplishes the same thing.  I have not found anyone yet to do this for a buy and hold but it could be a strategy for you on a flip.

@Neil Aggarwal :

You are buying the property for $70k.  You are asking a lender to give you $100k up front and trust that you will make repairs instead of walking away with a $30k payday and dumping the property on them.  That is a risk no lender I know will take.

100% financing is a myth perpetuated by people that sell seminars to newbies.

Most of the HMLs typically hold repair cost in escrow, which seems like the industry norm. They typically release repair cost funding in batches. I think 40% of ARV is absurd -- grandma can take more risk than that.

By the way, I would say don't make haste to cast the rehabber as the prey here. Most of the horror stories that I often hear are about supposed lenders disappearing with what was supposed to be down payment/deposit money so when upfront money starts getting excessive, you have to be careful.

A certain Harbor Group is an example of such a company that did cause many members on here to loose thousands of dollars. Simply arresting them won't return the money.

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/92/topics/22247-fraud-warning-

http://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-releases/2014/board-member-sentenced-to-10-years-imprisonment-for-his-role-in-10-million-advance-fee-and-gold-mine-investment-schemes

Account Closed

100% financing is very limited. There are only 2 sources I know of. One operates in 11 states and their requirements are very strict. The other requires 50% share in resale profits and only operates in CA. You also have to have significant experience in rehab projects.

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

Ask yourself the question.. would you lend someone 100% of a deal? How does it benefit the lender by making a loan at 100%? If something goes bad, you walk, and the lender is caught holding the bag. The #1 myth in investing is that the lender wants your property. NOT TRUE! If I make an out of state loan, do you really think I want to travel to complete the deal if you walk? Your money (skin) in the deal is the lenders protection. At 100% funding you might walk if things go bad, all you have at risk is a paper profit at that point. If you have your own money in the deal, and stand to lose your actual hard earned cash, you'll think 2x about walking from a deal or missing payments. 

It depends on the deal as I am sure you already know. If someone asked me for 100% of $75,000 to fix and sell a home they bought in the 70's worth $300,000 today, would I give him 100% of the money? Would be crazy not to especially at today's hard money rate. Someone else might look at the same deal and say they still need some skin money.

There isn't a need to exaggerate risk to justify some of the excessive fees and requirements. A good deal is a good deal and a bad deal is always bad. There are just some deals where a 20% down requirement just does not fit. Some risk are perceived not real. 

If we take hard money out of the equation and look at the traditional mortgage market, some lenders are still stuck on a similar 20% down mindset and some aren't. Its an extreme form of pessimism. You take calculated risk. One size doesn't always fit all. It is starting to sound like most HMLs are asking for FHA insurance.

So, your lending 100%of rehabbing only correct?

At Zinc we look for min 10-20% down from borrower funds.  Some of the companies advertising the 100% will want a Joint Venture and control of the rehab control fund.

Nothing wrong with Joint Ventures, depends on where you are at with your investing career.

We're regulated by the Bureau of Real Estate here in California. As of 2013, bill SB978 actually regulated the max ARV lenders can lend on (believe it's 80% ARV). It also stipulates repairs or construction over $100,000 must use a third party fund control. All that great stuff. I bet you anything this will vary greatly by state as well as which regulatory agency a lender falls under.

In some cases when an investor is buying a great deal, after all is said and done, they eventually do get almost 100% financing simply because they bought a great deal and because repair money is released from escrow. 100% financed deals, like Tom said, typically come in the form of a joint partnership here in California.  

Copelon Kirklin had the best answer IMHO.

I know of lenders that'll fund 100% with some fantastic terms but their footprint is typically local only and the client needs to show a track record of successful fix & hold/rent or flip.

So it is not a myth but it is elusive.

If a rehabber is processing a dozen or so properties / year these local lenders or even true hard money work fine.

For contractors processing entire reo data tapes a credit line works best.

http://michaellewisgroup.com/sfr-port-docs.html

I agree with ken v. A lender funding you at 100% is very risky. Regardless of what the margins are in the ARV things can go wrong and it's not uncommon. Nothing is 100%. In your first particular deal I can go as high as 60k on the 70k and 100% of the rehab. But you will pay for it in interest (14.25%) and points (4). Keep in mind your rehab cost will be reimbursed after you submit invoices and proof of work done. I've never seen anyone do 100%

Originally posted by @Copelon Kirklin :

Account Closed

100% financing is very limited. There are only 2 sources I know of. One operates in 11 states and their requirements are very strict. The other requires 50% share in resale profits and only operates in CA. You also have to have significant experience in rehab projects.

Out of curiosity, what company does 50% resale?

can credit under 600 get a hard loan for 70% of ARV? asap?

Originally posted by @Belinda Vargas cruz :

can credit under 600 get a hard loan for 70% of ARV? asap?

Depends on the lender.  They all have different rules.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here