FHA loan question, what if I'm forced to move early?

FHA loan question, what if I'm forced to move early?

Real Estate Agent · Brandenburg, KY · Member since 2015 · 277 posts · 68 votes

I'm considering an FHA loan for my next property. It will be owner occupied. As a military service member, there's a possibility that I may be required to relocate prior to the FHA 1 yr occupancy guidelines. Is this an issue? Anyone experienced this or something similar?

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
10y

Nah. If you can show that you had orders dated after the deal closed, no one can question that you intended to live there for at least a year.

You don't have control over when you get ordered to crazy places far away from Ft Knox.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Maybe an expert can confirm, but I don't think it would be a problem for you to move in a year, but I doubt you could get another FHA loan that quickly.
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    Nah. If you can show that you had orders dated after the deal closed, no one can question that you intended to live there for at least a year.

    You don't have control over when you get ordered to crazy places far away from Ft Knox.

  • Real Estate Agent · Brandenburg, KY · Member since 2015 · 277 posts · 68 votes
    10y

    I don't have orders yet, but anything is possible. Just don't want the FHA police after me. :)

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy Jackson:

    I don't have orders yet, but anything is possible. Just don't want the FHA police after me. :)

    OK. Also know that you CAN have multiple VA loans at once. 90% of loan originators are too stupid to do the math, however, and I'm not licensed in KY or TX so I can't help you.

  • Real Estate Agent · Brandenburg, KY · Member since 2015 · 277 posts · 68 votes
    10y

    @Chris Mason

    Thanks for the reminder.  I considered it last yr but was told I had to borrow at least 144K.  I thought that was unusual.

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    My husband is active duty. We have always been told that personal properties require 12 months of occupancy unless something happens out of your control. We were told military moves under orders counts. I am nothing legal just what I have heard.

  • Real Estate Agent · Brandenburg, KY · Member since 2015 · 277 posts · 68 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Elizabeth Colegrove.  I've read plenty of your comments on numerous threads.  You always have sound advice for us military folks. :)

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy Jackson:

    Thanks @Elizabeth Colegrove.  I've read plenty of your comments on numerous threads.  You always have sound advice for us military folks. :)

    Glad I can be of help!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.