How to buy more than one 2-3 unit homes as owner occupied

How to buy more than one 2-3 unit homes as owner occupied

Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 1 vote

Hello All,

I am in the process of looking for my second 2-3 family house and have talked to three different banks about my options to finance it. All three of them have told me that because I currently own and live in a duplex and collect rent from the other half, that this next house must be considered an "investment property." By doing this it forces me to put 25% down plus 2 points instead of the 20% for being owner occuipied personal property.

My plan is to move into the next house, fix the apartments up while living in it and then move on to the next house and do the same thing. But by needing 25% down plus two points for each new property, that will greatly affect the deals of the houses I would be pursuing.

Can someone give me some advice on better financing options for my next house?

1Reply
11 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Buena Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 743 posts · 424 votes
    10y
    Shop around,tell the next bank what you're plans are and what the current bank is offering and tell them to beat it.
  • New Haven, CT · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    those are a in house rule for those banks that they are enforcing them upon you. Try shopping around and as long as you satisfy the ooc requirement you should be fine. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 129 votes
    10y

    @Joseph Schriever

    Hey bro, I'm in a similar situation.  I live in a duplex and rent the other side out.  I'm currently looking for my next property.  I have spoken to two mortgage brokers and because I plan to owner occupy they have said I can put 5% down. I would talk to some other lenders and stress the point you will occupy the residence.  Good luck!

  • Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Brandon Brown - Did you inform the mortgage brokers that you already own one duplex and are looking to buy another that you will owner occupy, and they said that is ok and you will only need 5% down??

  • Rental Property Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 129 votes
    10y

    I did.  I am using 75% of my rental income to qualify.  Only thing is I am looking at buying a single family home.  But it shouldn't matter if your looking at something with 4 units or less.  Also the Nashville market is hot and banks are wanting the business.

  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    10y

    I have lenders who would be happy to help. I just put one of my investors into his 9th home.. he lives out of state and had no problems. Hit me up if you'd like a copy of the list!

    Jw

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.