Newbie to BP - Need some advice on loan consolidation

Newbie to BP - Need some advice on loan consolidation

Investor · CA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 0 votes

Hello Experienced Folks

I am newbie to BP. I have made some investments in CA in the past (own 4 SFH including primary). In restrospection, I made several mistakes though I am not yet at a loss owing to investing at the right time.

My loan agent (who was with a broker company but recently joined Wells Fargo) is trying to sell me into refinancing and doing a cash out on my primary SFH in order to do loan consolidation. I am quite confused on what to do and need some advice from the experienced folks. Can you please help ?

My primary has two loans:

1st at 420K at 3.625% 27 years left out of 30 year fixed

2nd at 72K at 4% 7 years left out of 10 year fixed

I have 3 rental SFH:

Two have loan amount 212K at 4.75% 30 year fixed (recently refinanced)

Third has loan amount 193K at 4.75% 30 year fixed (recently refinanced)

All three rental SFH have value >= 275K (in that ballpark, not more than 300K)

Primary has value > 1M

Her advice is to do a 700K loan on primary, pay off 1st and 2nd, and pay off one of the rentals or use for next purchase cash down, so as to do loan consolidation (as per her it is hard to get loans when you have too many financed properties).

I am looking to do my next investment (around 425K with 100K down, 4 plex), and I don't really need to do refi to achieve it.

Does her advice have value to me ?

My biggest concern is that none of these three rental properties I really want to keep long term. 2 of them I plan to sell in 2-3 years as they increase in value (which I believe they will), and 3rd possibly a bit later or soon after. So, why should I pay them off ? But I may be thinking less rationally, so seeking advice from the number gurus on the forums.

Looking forward. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to provide all data.

0Reply
18 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Malden, MA · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 63 votes
    10y
    I'm curious to here responses for this one
  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    10y
    Adhyas Avasthi , what is the cost to refinance to the consolidated loan? How well do you know the mortgage person? Good enough that they are not trying to use you to meet a quota?
  • Lender · Rockville, MD · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    I agree with the previous post, you have to watch your closing costs. I'm not familiar with California closing costs but if I was doing your scenario in Maryland I would do the consolidation and have the bank cover all closing costs. Not rolled into the loan ... actually receive a credit at closing offsetting the fees. 

    If you can do a no cost loan for 700k below  4% and pull cash that wouldn't be a bad deal.  It just depends what your comfortable with on your primary residence .. you have 27 years left on the first trust and 7 years left on the 2nd with decent rates. 

    I don't think there is a right or wrong answer , just be mindful of the fees.

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    @Percy N. @Jeff Fink I know the loan agent very well (did more than a dozen loans/refi with her in the past) and trust her. She is offering me < 4% at 0 cost (it is really 0, I have done a lot of these with her in the past). If I go up to 4%, I can actually make money to pay for property taxes etc.

    My biggest concern is risking my primary to derisk a rental which I want to sell in a couple of years anyway. But, if I don't do that, I am feeling I will walk away from a good deal when the rates are low and I can potentially consolidate at least two loans into one.

    Yeah, I guess there is no right or wrong answer here. Hmm. Confusion does not end though.

  • Lender · Greeley, CO · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Your lender is advising you to keep you financed properties at 4 or less. Once you go over that mark (5 - 10) your allowable LTV's decrease on new purchases, your reserve requirements go up and your risk is higher so your new interest rates will reflect that.

    The best interest rate is going to be on your primary. So if you have an opportunity to use that equity now is the time to free it up. Your LO is offering a really decent deal with the 4% no closing costs on what appears to be a jumbo loan.

    If you are planning on purchasing another property right now this is the way to go.

    You mentioned that you were planning on selling a couple properties in the next 2 - 3 years. If that is the case you haven't hurt yourself by keeping your financed properties under four today. Remember you do not know what can happen 2 - 3 years from now and how those events may impact your current holdings.

    I think your loan officer is doing a good job and it is what I would and have recommended to my clients in similar situations.  

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Laura Winkel

    I do plan to invest some more, so seriously considering more cash out.

  • Lender · Greeley, CO · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    This is kind of a perfect storm market for what you are doing. If you can manage to stay under the 4 financed units and take advantage of rising values, and low interest rates and purchase properties with a modest amount of needed repairs, you should are managing your growth appropriately. ( at least from my perception of what your real estate strategy is)

    Equity is a perception unless you use it. If your goal is to pay off your primary and live there happily ever after without a mortgage that's one thing. If you plan on eventually selling it too and retiring with your loot to tour the would or what ever then you need to use that equity. You kind of become your own bank to a certain extent.

    You also may want to consider shorter loan terms on future purchases.(investment property) This may work for you depending on your exit strategy and when those plans are to be implemented.

    Discuss those with your lender and I bet once the numbers are run you will see your options in a much clearer light.

    Good Luck to you. I am a new member here and you are the first I have spoken with. I hope anything I said helps. What a great site!!!

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    It is indeed helpful. I have sent you a contact request.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.