Using FHA Loan to buy Multi-family property with a partner

Using FHA Loan to buy Multi-family property with a partner

Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 2 votes

Hello everyone,

I currently live in Houston, TX. I would like to purchase a multi-family property in Austin, TX through financing. It seems to me that an FHA loan would be my best best because of the low down payment required and low interest rates. However, because I do not live in Austin and I do not plan to live there (at least not any time in the near future), is there a way I can still successfully apply for an FHA loan? I understand the FHA loan requires the buyer to live in the property for at least 1 year.

For example, I have a good friend who lives in Austin and I would trust him to live in one of the units of the property and manage it for me. Would it be possible for him and I to put our names on the deed or lien, and the requirements of the FHA loan would be satisfied if either of us is living in one of the units?

Any help would be much appreciated. I am very new at investing. :)

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 33 votes
9y

If non occupants are on the loan then your only option is a non-owner occupied loan.  Bigger pockets isn't here for people trying to cheat the system.

Using an FHA to buy a multi family is a good idea. Try Houston. Its fraud if you don't live in it.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    If non occupants are on the loan then your only option is a non-owner occupied loan.  Bigger pockets isn't here for people trying to cheat the system.

    Using an FHA to buy a multi family is a good idea. Try Houston. Its fraud if you don't live in it.

  • Investor · Towson, MD · Member since 2014 · 472 posts · 257 votes
    9y

    @Syed Rizvi @Eric Guiltinan

    HUD does allow for non-occupied co-borrowers on FHA loans but (typically) only when there is a blood or marriage relationship between the applicants.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Thanks, @Eric Guiltinan! Definitely not trying to cheat the system. Just trying to figure out how much flexibility there is in the FHA loan stipulations with multiple individuals on the lien :).

    Thanks for the advice, @Michael Cohen! I have a younger brother who will be starting college in Austin in a few months. Perhaps I can list him as a co-borrower on the loan and have him occupy one unit? Just wondering out loud now.

  • Investor · Mission, TX · Member since 2017 · 220 posts · 135 votes
    9y
    Syed Rizvi I would tread carefully. FHA is actually quite inflexible- the only loophole I've read is in the language for the regs it says the owner must occupy the "majority of the year" to me that's 6 months and a day. Not sure if my logic would work, but I would be very careful. Your brother sounds like a great option!
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    @Michael Cohen thanks for correcting me.  @Syed Rizvi, buying a place with your brother sounds like it could be a good idea.  Buying a place for yourself and using your brother (or your friend) as a way to get a low down payment loan to go through sounds like a bad idea.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Acuna

    @Eric Guiltinan

    Thank you for your input! I will definitely keep all of this in mind.

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    This is good to know because I thought that as long as ONE co-borrower resides in the home, it would be sufficient. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.