Troubles with refinancing out of private money loans

Troubles with refinancing out of private money loans

Leicester, MA · Member since 2016 · 137 posts · 36 votes

Hello, I'm at a loss and hoping somebody on here could possibly help in relation to refinancing multi units out of private money, short-term loans, or short term seller finance into longer term notes and to pull equity.

My Goal:

Acquire distressed properties in need of rehab. Rehab rent repeat BRRR method

My Problem and background:

Although I have access to private money. My problem is going to be with the refinance with a conventional Bank. 2007 I purchased a duplex with an old high-school friend. In 2010 they could no longer afford payments then filed bankruptcy. The relationship became sour all communication came to an end. There were multiple attempts on my end to resolve this problem before heading to a foreclosure. I have all documentation to prove the Foreclosure was out of my control and all attempts that were possible on my end to avoid it. Foreclosure finalized in June of 2016.

Last month I closed on a second mortgage on my primary residence. It took conversations with many different banks to find the right bank that would not automatically disqualify me because of the foreclosure and allow me to prove my case. I have a decent credit score, decent income, and a load debt-to-income ratio.

It is a different division of the bank that handles a full refinance of a multi-unit property versus a second mortgage on a primary residence that second division could not guarantee me a refinance loan due to the foreclosure making it very risky for me to move forward with purchasing any multi-units with private money.

I'm hoping somebody out there has a suggestion or some advice for me on how I can still do this without having to wait the seven years. That would not allow me to Utilize conventional loans to purchase multi-unit buildings until 2023.

0Reply
12 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Bernard Chouinard - On the duplex - If the numbers were good enough to own half, why didn't you just take the whole thing over? I've been in a partnership gone bad before and I paid to protect my personal credit. How as this out of your control?  Even if the partner was managing the tenant relationships and collecting the rents, you could have taken them to court to gain control of that fairly easily.

  • Melvin ListBusiness Member
    Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 381 votes
    9y

    @Bernard Chouinard was the home mortgage included in the bankruptcy?

    C2 Financial
  • Leicester, MA · Member since 2016 · 137 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    @melvin,  Jason and I were co borrowers on the mortgage and the deed. He filed bankruptcy, I didn't and no he did not include the house in his bankruptcy.

  • Leicester, MA · Member since 2016 · 137 posts · 36 votes
    9y
    @Patti Robertson the purpose of the duplex was not for an investment in fact it was before I knew anything about real estate investing. we bought the duplex so that we can split the mortgage he lived on one side I lived on the other the building was treated as a single-family home since it only had one Inlet of water and sewer but was truly a duplex. the relationship became sad where in all Communications came to an end I have sent letters offering cash to sign over the deed and multiple letters from several different lawyers trying to get them to work with us so that I could simply take over the building to save the foreclosure and then rent out the other half. these are all the documents I have to provide to my mortgage company for the second mortgage of my primary residence proving that the Foreclosure was 100% out of my control even with multiple attempts to try to prevent it.
  • Leicester, MA · Member since 2016 · 137 posts · 36 votes
    9y
    @Melvin List Jason and I were co-borrowers co-owners on the deed he filed bankruptcy but did not include the house. I do not know why he didn't include the mortgage the only reason why I know he filed bankruptcy is because of it public information. I'm curious if he couldn't include the mortgage because he's a co-borrower.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.