How Do You Come Up With Large Multifamily Down Payments?

How Do You Come Up With Large Multifamily Down Payments?

Investor · Traverse City, MI · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 20 votes

I'm looking to move into commercial multifamily in the near future and curious about a few things. With there being several barriers to entry, coming up with a large down payment being one of them, I'm wondering how many of you have done it. I don't think I'm interested in a real estate syndicate or fractional ownership.

I have a few properties of my own (a few single family, duplexes, and small multifamily) with some decent equity between all of them, but not nearly enough to provide a 25% down payment for a 2-10 million dollar multifamily property. 

What are some methods you've used, or heard of, for coming up with large down payments on commercial multifamily properties? Can private money be used for the down payment? If so, how does borrowing a down payment effect the rest of the deal? Can deals be structured in a way where the down payment is lowered? What do you recommend? 

Any ideas would be appreciated! 

1Reply
113 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

Hi @Adam D.

I have 1031 all my pricey San Diego rental properties, since 2015 and 1031 exchanged them for 7 apartment complexes and 109 front doors. I have basically traded in $50,000 cash flow for $160,000 cash flow and rising every day. Of course, love the cash flow, but more importantly, I am in the process of increasing the NOI dramatically, thereby increasing the value of the property exponentially. I have a 24 unit, 21 unit, 15 unit, two 12 units, 10 unit, 8 unit, and 7 little single family rental properties too.

I have done this on an $80,000 W2 earnings per year as a Catholic School Teacher.  In 3 to 4 years, I expect to 1031 exchange or refinance rinsing and repeating.   Ultimate goal to defer, defer, defer, defer, defer, and die with approximately 1000 front doors and 3 or 4 large apartment complexes, and $750,000 plus cash flow per year at death.  Then, my kid can inherit at a stepped up basis and then he can defer, defer, defer, defer, defer, and die and have about 5,000 front doors if he chooses to do so.  Also, when he inherits, if he keeps at least 50% debt and continues on this path, depreciation starts all over again for him too!!! 

Imagine if I reach even half my goals. WOW!! If I were you I would do the same. I have only invested together with my wife, mom, and dad on all of my deals but one. One deal, I took 2 of my friends along in an equity partnership on the 21 unit I mentioned above. So far, on that deal, after 12 months, we have replaced 15 out of 21 tenants with tenants paying $80.00-$100.00 a month more than the previous tenants and we have caught HUGE water and sewer waste, along with cut insurance costs by switching carriers etc... That one we only put $260,000 down and have already increased the NOI moving forward to $25,000-$27,000, increasing the value of the property $250,000-$270,000 after 12 months of ownership. The remarkable thing about it, is that we have not touched our reserves and only used our operating account to make ready those 15 units and other improvements. They were basic $1100-$1200 make readies when tenants moved out and a higher class tenant based moved in.

Now we have decided as a group to take some of our $60,000 in reserves off the table and start giving distributions as our operating account rises too after this repositioning is complete her in January-August of 2018.  We are expecting $36,000 cash flow minimum for the next 3 to 4 year period too, before refinancing and taking all of our money out tax free that we invested or 1031 exchanging $700,000 of equity with loan paydown into possibly a much larger 2.8 million dollar complex.  This complex a year ago we purchased for $900,000, we expect to pay down the loan to $550,000 and increase the value to about 1.2-1.3 million.  Not to mention the over $150,000 cash flow we expect to take in the next 4 years of ownership.

I love this stuff, when done right!!  Anybody that wants to talk shop, go to my profile and reach out to me.

What a country!! AMERICA!!!

Swanny

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Dallas TX · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 33 votes
    8y

    hey @Adam D. This video is for you, Listen to this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ejR3CwxCk, grant cordone explains how to scale even with no money down. hope it helps :-)

  • Investor · Traverse City, MI · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 20 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Chaithra Kumar:

    hey @Adam D. This video is for you, Listen to this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ejR3CwxCk, grant cordone explains how to scale even with no money down. hope it helps :-)

    Watched it. Yup that's exactly what we're talking about here. Owning, repairing, and managing all my properties myself it's tough to imagine sharing ownership. But to scale at the level of Grant, and many of the people in this thread, that's just what it takes--great video thanks! 

  • Investor · Ogdensburg, WI · Member since 2016 · 273 posts · 351 votes
    8y

    @Adam D.

    I put nothing down... I had a great deal of equity on an existing portfolio.  I used what was needed to secure the loan on the 20. I had enough equity to pull a couple of properties out of the group and meet the 80/20 criteria of the bank.  I then used one of the free and clear properties to secure the loan on the 22 unit. No money down. These are not ballon payment loans either. 5 yr arm 3.89 and 4.125 . Max rate of 8%, can only climb 1% a year. With loans on 20 yr the payment will never outpace the paydown..

    The crazy thing about the 20, was the bank used an in house appraiser... A year later the underwriters said they should really get an independent appraisal.. Bank picked up the tab on that.. Well in the first year of ownership I decreased expenses by 7k. (biggest thing being winning a tax assessment appeal 5k). I increased the income by almost 30k. The new appraisal only credited me with about 20k. They said the buildings were "out performing the market"  So the new appraisal came back almost 200k more than the purchase price... This allowed me to pick up another 4 unit also with no money down and without the need of an appraisal as this one was new.

    Riding off into the sunset!  

  • Ivan BarrattBusiness Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 764 posts · 953 votes
    8y

    @Adam D. Grant Cardone's books have some great content that will aid you in syndication. There's other material out there too. It's easy to find if you start looking. Keep reading, listening, etc until you know why syndication presents way bigger returns for the syndicator. Answer/Hint: value creation vs capital investment. 

  • Member since 2022 · 241 posts · 62 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Swan:

    Hi @Adam D.

    I have 1031 all my pricey San Diego rental properties, since 2015 and 1031 exchanged them for 7 apartment complexes and 109 front doors. I have basically traded in $50,000 cash flow for $160,000 cash flow and rising every day. Of course, love the cash flow, but more importantly, I am in the process of increasing the NOI dramatically, thereby increasing the value of the property exponentially. I have a 24 unit, 21 unit, 15 unit, two 12 units, 10 unit, 8 unit, and 7 little single family rental properties too.

    I have done this on an $80,000 W2 earnings per year as a Catholic School Teacher.  In 3 to 4 years, I expect to 1031 exchange or refinance rinsing and repeating.   Ultimate goal to defer, defer, defer, defer, defer, and die with approximately 1000 front doors and 3 or 4 large apartment complexes, and $750,000 plus cash flow per year at death.  Then, my kid can inherit at a stepped up basis and then he can defer, defer, defer, defer, defer, and die and have about 5,000 front doors if he chooses to do so.  Also, when he inherits, if he keeps at least 50% debt and continues on this path, depreciation starts all over again for him too!!! 

    Imagine if I reach even half my goals. WOW!! If I were you I would do the same. I have only invested together with my wife, mom, and dad on all of my deals but one. One deal, I took 2 of my friends along in an equity partnership on the 21 unit I mentioned above. So far, on that deal, after 12 months, we have replaced 15 out of 21 tenants with tenants paying $80.00-$100.00 a month more than the previous tenants and we have caught HUGE water and sewer waste, along with cut insurance costs by switching carriers etc... That one we only put $260,000 down and have already increased the NOI moving forward to $25,000-$27,000, increasing the value of the property $250,000-$270,000 after 12 months of ownership. The remarkable thing about it, is that we have not touched our reserves and only used our operating account to make ready those 15 units and other improvements. They were basic $1100-$1200 make readies when tenants moved out and a higher class tenant based moved in.

    Now we have decided as a group to take some of our $60,000 in reserves off the table and start giving distributions as our operating account rises too after this repositioning is complete her in January-August of 2018.  We are expecting $36,000 cash flow minimum for the next 3 to 4 year period too, before refinancing and taking all of our money out tax free that we invested or 1031 exchanging $700,000 of equity with loan paydown into possibly a much larger 2.8 million dollar complex.  This complex a year ago we purchased for $900,000, we expect to pay down the loan to $550,000 and increase the value to about 1.2-1.3 million.  Not to mention the over $150,000 cash flow we expect to take in the next 4 years of ownership.

    I love this stuff, when done right!!  Anybody that wants to talk shop, go to my profile and reach out to me.

    What a country!! AMERICA!!!

    Swanny

    This is awesome, going to message you!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.