Building an addition: anyone have familiarity with Homestyle?

Building an addition: anyone have familiarity with Homestyle?

Dalton, MA · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 8 votes

I own a property in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. I will be building a separate living space and connecting it to the primary dwelling. Officially, it will be deemed an "attached accessory dwelling unit." I'm considering the standard Homestyle loan and am wondering if anyone has had experience using this loan to build either an attached ADU or an addition.

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Stephanie MedellinBusiness Member
Mortgage Broker · CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 642 votes
8y

@Amy Turnbull  If it's a one unit owner occupied property, there's a good chance you won't need reserves, but it will be up to automated underwriting.  If you do, it will most likely be either 2 months or 6 months reserves.

Stephanie Medellin, Loan Factory58 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Amy Turnbull:

    I own a property in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. I will be building a separate living space and connecting it to the primary dwelling. Officially, it will be deemed an "attached accessory dwelling unit." I'm considering the standard Homestyle loan and am wondering if anyone has had experience using this loan to build either an attached ADU or an addition.

    If you have the equity and don't need the ARV appraisal, you will get a better deal with a vanilla cash out refinance. Otherwise, yup, FNMA HomeStyle is probably the way to go.

  • Dalton, MA · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    I have had the property for only a year so I need the after repair value appraisal to fund the project. So many questions about this loan!

  • Stephanie MedellinBusiness Member
    Mortgage Broker · CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 642 votes
    8y
    Stephanie Medellin, Loan Factory58 Reviews
  • Dalton, MA · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Thanks, I've been over it and over it. So many variables i.e. will I have to have reserves? Think I'll just have to take the plunge!

  • Stephanie MedellinBusiness Member
    Mortgage Broker · CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 642 votes
    8y

    @Amy Turnbull  If it's a one unit owner occupied property, there's a good chance you won't need reserves, but it will be up to automated underwriting.  If you do, it will most likely be either 2 months or 6 months reserves.

    Stephanie Medellin, Loan Factory58 Reviews
  • Dalton, MA · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the replies here. I'm still hot on the trail of trying to find the most creative way to finance my ADU. Language in the Homestyle documents says I can do any kind of renovation as long as it is fixed to the property. So I think it will come down to whether an ADU is a renovation or new construction. Then there's the "one unit" thing. I believe an ADU or an addition (which is probably what I'll call it since that is a familiar term to lenders) is classified as a single unit.

    If you have any familiarity with this type of loan, please weigh in here! Thanks!

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    I’ve been learning about Homestyle loans recently and I wonder why non-owner-occupied multifamily properties are not eligible. What difference does it make to the lender if I live there full-time or not?


    Could I just use my own money to do the renovation conversion to a two or three unit property a few years after the original renovation is complete? What other ways can I accomplish getting from a SFH to a Multi using a reno-loan like this? Thanks.

  • Dalton, MA · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Rumor has it the Homestyle loan will accept detached ADUs--no longer necessitating the charade of "addition." Still, the requirement for an investment property to only have one unit continues to be a conundrum. It's almost like Fanniemae got this wrong when they went to print: you can have an owner-occupied 1-4 unit, but only a one unit investment property? Anyone in New England have a Homestyle lender to recommend who can help me?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.