LLC name change affect on lending, business history, & credit

LLC name change affect on lending, business history, & credit

Randallstown, MD · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hello,

I formed an LLC about 4.5 years ago which I have used for buying and flipping property. I never thought about building business credit until about this week when I came across someone selling services to do just that instagram, and decided to look at what I could do on my own. Anyway, I started researching things you can do to build your business credit history, and one thing I saw mentioned, including on BP, is that lenders (mainly banks I believe) dont like when your LLC is in one of the categories considered "high risk", one being real estate investment. Also, it was recommended to not have words such as "property", "investments", "real estate..." etc in your LLC name, as it can be/is a red flag to lenders and can make it a challenge to get lending.

Of course my LLC name is ____ Investments, haha. Before starting some of the tips for building business credit ie: duns number, some net30 accounts, 411 listing, etc, I wanted to change my LLC name now, before starting the process.

I debated on just doing a new LLC, but I didnt want to lose my 4.5 years of seasoning that my current LLC has. I then looked into just changing my current LLC name, which I see that you can do, as well as keep the same EIN. I thought perfect, my business will still be considered almost 5 years old, until I saw that some banks consider an entity name change as basically "starting over", which means I might as well keep it simple and do a new LLC if this is the case.

Any thoughts? Am I overthinking things and should I just keep my current LLC name and not risk losing out it 4.5 year formation history?

Thank you,

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan Taylor SmithBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · Durham / Raleigh (Triangle), NC · Member since 2015 · 840 posts · 801 votes
7y

Hello @Chike O. - That's not my experience... At least not here in North Carolina. I've changed two business names. One due to acquisition of / merger with another company, and the other due to change from INC to LLC. In both cases, on the NC Secretary of State Website, it showed the same company start date, with just a merger or amendment notation and I never lost favor with creditors due to the change.

J.T.

Blue Chariot Realty & Management4.915 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan Taylor SmithBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Durham / Raleigh (Triangle), NC · Member since 2015 · 840 posts · 801 votes
    7y

    Hello @Chike O. - That's not my experience... At least not here in North Carolina. I've changed two business names. One due to acquisition of / merger with another company, and the other due to change from INC to LLC. In both cases, on the NC Secretary of State Website, it showed the same company start date, with just a merger or amendment notation and I never lost favor with creditors due to the change.

    J.T.

    Blue Chariot Realty & Management4.915 Reviews
  • Lender · Arlington, TX · Member since 2018 · 465 posts · 184 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chike O.:

    Hello,

    I formed an LLC about 4.5 years ago which I have used for buying and flipping property. I never thought about building business credit until about this week when I came across someone selling services to do just that instagram, and decided to look at what I could do on my own. Anyway, I started researching things you can do to build your business credit history, and one thing I saw mentioned, including on BP, is that lenders (mainly banks I believe) dont like when your LLC is in one of the categories considered "high risk", one being real estate investment. Also, it was recommended to not have words such as "property", "investments", "real estate..." etc in your LLC name, as it can be/is a red flag to lenders and can make it a challenge to get lending.

    Of course my LLC name is ____ Investments, haha. Before starting some of the tips for building business credit ie: duns number, some net30 accounts, 411 listing, etc, I wanted to change my LLC name now, before starting the process.

    I debated on just doing a new LLC, but I didnt want to lose my 4.5 years of seasoning that my current LLC has. I then looked into just changing my current LLC name, which I see that you can do, as well as keep the same EIN. I thought perfect, my business will still be considered almost 5 years old, until I saw that some banks consider an entity name change as basically "starting over", which means I might as well keep it simple and do a new LLC if this is the case.

    Any thoughts? Am I overthinking things and should I just keep my current LLC name and not risk losing out it 4.5 year formation history?

    Thank you,

     I don't think that is much of any issue if you are mainly dealing with lenders that specialize in flips. Out side of that realm I don't know.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 658 votes
    7y

    This is true for the non secured credit lines at the business name, not secured by property loans.

    Another condition for that type of credit would be to not have any real estate in the company name.

    Obviously, if you want mortgages, this is not for you.

    I'd keep this company as is with all the real estate in its name and open another company for a non related business (service, retail, whatever) and keep building its business credit. In two years you'll be all set to apply for such a credit line IF you have enough sales/revenue (flips won't work here as well as rents)

    Should be some managing company for your other company which own real estate, like maintenance, landscaping, bookkeeping, anything which is not licensed activities

    DUNS number doesn't need to cost you any money: they count any credit in this EIN which you use (open lines but not used won't help).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.