Private banker reached out to me via BP

Private banker reached out to me via BP

Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 14 votes

Someone found me on Bigger Pockets saying they are a private lender. How do I protect myself so that I don’t get scammed? What should and shouldn’t I do?

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

I would just ignore them, don't even respond.  Real lenders do not seek you out.  You make the initial contact.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I would just ignore them, don't even respond.  Real lenders do not seek you out.  You make the initial contact.

  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Hey @Vera B.,

    DO NOT RESPOND to those people. Why do people think that if someone sends them a message that it is a real and legitamate offer?????

    Its kinda like those robo calls that you get. No one really wants to talk you in particular, they are just throwing a net out there to see what they can catch. When you respond and talk with them, they got you!!

    Go to your local real estate meet ups and talk with the lenders that are there. Ask them who they have done a deal with and talk those people to see how the experience went.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    BP  linkdin  facebook connected investor are all infested with faux lenders and this is exactly how they find you.

    you can play along send them the 500 to 800 application fee and kiss it good by .. just so you know.

    or U can save your money and find a real lender..

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lynnette E.:

    I would just ignore them, don't even respond.  Real lenders do not seek you out.  You make the initial contact.

     This. Every informative post by an escrow officer or Realtor or LO or accountant on this discussion form is in part being helpful, and in part lead gen. But we don't spam people, we post helpful stuff, and the investors go "oh that was a helpful post, that person is helpful, maybe they can help me!" as described in the film Inception (it feels like your idea for you to reach out to me). 

  • Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 180 votes
    7y

    @Vera B., if you pay me $800 upfront, I'll help you identify if they are a scammer........ I'm hopeful that everyone see that this is a joke.....

  • Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 180 votes
    7y

    @Vera B., if you pay me $800 upfront, I'll help you identify if they are a scammer........ I'm hopeful that everyone see that this is a joke.....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.