Need a fix and flip loan under personal title

Need a fix and flip loan under personal title

Rental Property Investor · Chicago and mainly invests in KS remotely · Member since 2018 · 360 posts · 314 votes

Hi guys,

I'm under contract on a great deal. Purchase price 44K, estimated rehab budget 40-50K, ARV 150-180K. However I've hit a wall on lending because I'm in the US on a work visa so I can't show self-employment income. If I create an LLC and take out a loan and rent it out afterward, the rental income would look like self-employment income and my immigration lawyer advised me against going the LLC route. So I'm looking for lenders that can lend fix and flip loan under personal title. I spoke to Lima One and they will only lend to LLCs. Wondering if you guys can recommend someone else that can do this?

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y

Okay, we'll Rental income is not "self employment" whether as an individual or thru an LLC....both are passive. The. LLC is a pass through entity for taxes.....it's like it doesn't exist.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Not likely, but under your personal name it’s going to be taxed as “self employment” income anyway. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago and mainly invests in KS remotely · Member since 2018 · 360 posts · 314 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks:

    Not likely, but under your personal name it’s going to be taxed as “self employment” income anyway. 

    I won’t sell it within a year so I won’t have to pay self employment tax  I also claim investment not business for rental real estate on my tax return.. so I don think it’s self employment income  

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Okay, we'll Rental income is not "self employment" whether as an individual or thru an LLC....both are passive. The. LLC is a pass through entity for taxes.....it's like it doesn't exist.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago and mainly invests in KS remotely · Member since 2018 · 360 posts · 314 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks:

    Okay, we'll Rental income is not "self employment" whether as an individual or thru an LLC....both are passive. The. LLC is a pass through entity for taxes.....it's like it doesn't exist.

     Right, my immigration lawyer advised against it... to your credit I don't think he fully understands the real estate/tax side of the picture. I'd rather err on the side of caution and get a loan using my personal title and avoid complications.

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Commercial Capital Limited advertises foreign national loans.  Not sure if it will work in your specific situation.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 735 votes
    7y

    @Allen L. Unfortunately that is how they have to be. It's how they are exempt from Dodd-Frank. They can only lend to entities. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.