US Citizen just moved to California, Trouble Securing a Mortgage

US Citizen just moved to California, Trouble Securing a Mortgage

Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 4 votes

Hi everyone. 

Here's a little back story. I'm 29 and I just moved from Canada to Los Angeles. I'm technically self-employed as I own and operate a Tech Recruitment business. I am a dual-citizen (US and Canada), but have lived in Canada my whole life. I have strong credit in Canada (well over 750 closer to 800), but no established credit really in the United states. I'm looking at places between the 600-700k range, and willing to put down 80k USD. Even though I have US tax returns that show a good income (although it's lower than what I actually make, because as a business owner my dividends are higher than the net income I pay myself for tax reasons), because I don't have established credit here, I'm having a tough time securing the loan.

If anyone has any advice or help me get going, that would be appreciated. 

PS, as of now, I don't have any friends of family that are or can be co-signers.

1Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
7y
Originally posted by @Ali Taghikhani:

Hi everyone. 

Here's a little back story. I'm 29 and I just moved from Canada to Los Angeles. I'm technically self-employed as I own and operate a Tech Recruitment business. I am a dual-citizen (US and Canada), but have lived in Canada my whole life. I have strong credit in Canada (well over 750 closer to 800), but no established credit really in the United states. I'm looking at places between the 600-700k range, and willing to put down 80k USD. Even though I have US tax returns that show a good income (although it's lower than what I actually make, because as a business owner my dividends are higher than the net income I pay myself for tax reasons), because I don't have established credit here, I'm having a tough time securing the loan.

If anyone has any advice or help me get going, that would be appreciated. 

PS, as of now, I don't have any friends of family that are or can be co-signers.

 Pm me.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ali Taghikhani:

    Hi everyone. 

    Here's a little back story. I'm 29 and I just moved from Canada to Los Angeles. I'm technically self-employed as I own and operate a Tech Recruitment business. I am a dual-citizen (US and Canada), but have lived in Canada my whole life. I have strong credit in Canada (well over 750 closer to 800), but no established credit really in the United states. I'm looking at places between the 600-700k range, and willing to put down 80k USD. Even though I have US tax returns that show a good income (although it's lower than what I actually make, because as a business owner my dividends are higher than the net income I pay myself for tax reasons), because I don't have established credit here, I'm having a tough time securing the loan.

    If anyone has any advice or help me get going, that would be appreciated. 

    PS, as of now, I don't have any friends of family that are or can be co-signers.

     Pm me.

  • Mike TerryPro Member
    Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2015 · 293 posts · 278 votes
    6y

    Hi Ali,

    You and I are in a similar boat.  I moved from Canada to USA in 1993.  It does not take long to establish credit.  get a credit card, get a car loan... easy credit to acquire.  PAy those bills on time and after 6 months or a year you will have credit history.  I work in recruiting too.  I have no problem with mortgages now. Good luck.

  • Lender · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Ali Taghikhani

    Hello Ali,

    There are programs for you available using Canada credit . I am a wholesale lender so I would need to get you in touch with one of my brokers. Feel free to reach out.

  • Accountant · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 55 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Eric Figueroa hi Eric can you reach out to me, I’m looking to buy in south Florida and would like a bit more Information on lenders that will use Canadian credit score

  • Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Hey everyone, just to close the loop, I’ve partnered with the right person who fits my needs, and he responded In this thread. I’ll post an update as the journey unfolds to help people in my similar situation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.