Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 4 votes
I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge about refinancing a mortgage that was initially a primary residence that has now turned into a rental property.
In 2015, I purchased a condo on a physician loan 7/1 ARM, 0% down at interest rate of 3.5%. I lived there for 3 years and moved out of state. I kept the property and have been using it as a rental property. With the fixed rate time window closing in 2 years, I wanted to explore refinancing. My question is if banks will continue to finance it as a primary residence as it was when the mortgage was initially taken out or they will now look at this as an investment property and adjust rates accordingly.
Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
@Cameron Tope I think you mis-understood, the original loan is a "primary residence" loan and was originated as such. No one is proposing changes to that loan. The OP is planning to refinance after having moved out, that new loan will be originated under the guidelines of what the property is now which is an investment. So yes the bank can change rates/terms based on the use when you initiate the change by pursuing a new loan.
Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 21 votes
6y
@Naomasa Hase if you don’t occupy the property the lender will refinance it as a non-owner occupied loan. No need to worry with low interest rates there isn’t much difference. I’m currently refinancing both my investment and primary residence and the difference in the rate is .25%.
Of the LTV will weigh heavily on the interest rate quoted as well. Go for it!
@Cameron Tope I think you mis-understood, the original loan is a "primary residence" loan and was originated as such. No one is proposing changes to that loan. The OP is planning to refinance after having moved out, that new loan will be originated under the guidelines of what the property is now which is an investment. So yes the bank can change rates/terms based on the use when you initiate the change by pursuing a new loan.
Ahhh yes, I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification Matt!
Be sure there's no deed restriction on your original physician's loan. With an interest rate that low, they may restrict the type of usage on the property or whether it can be an investment property or not.