Rental Property Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 231 votes
Attention!!!!
Landlords / rental property owners in affected areas of the Covid19 pandemic
The SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL) are available for rental property owners if your state has already made the application to the federal gov.
I know Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New York all have. Expect all states to eventually apply.
These loans will take a minimum of 3 weeks to get to you so start now! There will be a overload of applicants and this is first come first served. Be prepared and submit a complete package! Details outlined at the link above!
Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
I just submitted my application. The website is struggling. It wouldn't let me upload the files for certain things they require because the upload feature wasn't working. I even tried on internet explorer (somehow that was their preferred brower). But this loan may be huge for landlords with a lot of properties. I have 82 houses. If 50 don't pay the rent, that would be a loss of roughly 70k a month. That'll eat thru my reserves awfully quick.
But I saw on the front page of the loan request app that they spefically state that landlords with rentals can get the loan and they even give us the direct instruction as to some selections we need to make (i.e. economic injury - just as David mentioned in his initial post).
To me, I look at it as though they should be able to make some projections as to losses. Maybe a worst case of 50% collections for a period of 6 to 9 months? And then offer a loan up to that amount. Again, how they come with their numbers will determine how useful the loan will be. A 10k loan is going to do nothing for me. A 100k loan might be the difference in keeping all my payments with the banks current and still having enough money for repairs and the like so I don't lose my houses.
Honestly, a worst case scenario of this going on for 9 months and say 50 percent collections and no option to sell the homes because we couldn't evict the tenants could cause me to lose everything. Its just not a scenario we can plan for. I've always said that there could come a time when there simply weren't enough renters because everyone was able to buy again. Well, that would mean house prices would be huge and i"d just jump on the bandwagon and sell and take my profits.
But how in the world do you account for something like this? Little to rents coming in. No ability to evict the tenants to sell the property as an exit? That just doesn't exist.
But thats why I really believe the sba is going to be super aggressive in these landlord loans. If I can get thru this with all my payments being kept up and the only hit to me is a new loan/debt of say 200k at 3.75%..... guess what, I'll be tickled pink. I can factor that in as the cost of doing business and then show these banks how I was able to survive in one of the worst debacles ever seen.
Investor · Oak Park, MI · Member since 2014 · 299 posts · 47 votes
6y
For anyone that is trying to increase, I submitted the application and got this reply, not sure if they're trying to tell me that the COGS looks funny to them? not sure how to calculate that for real estate so just put an approximate cost to run my rentals. So it seems they want me to apply again, they're attaching the same forms I already sent to them! Confusing!
Rental Property Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 16 votes
6y
I have multiple rental properties that suffered rental loss. Would I be able to sell one of my rental properties after getting an unsecured SBA loan? Thanks BP!
Investor · Oak Park, MI · Member since 2014 · 299 posts · 47 votes
6y
Very bad sign, I resent my application and got, seems they're overloaded with applications, seems it's not looking good for us.
Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:
"<email address, biggerpockets blocks it>> The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Please try resending your message later, or contact the recipient directly.
Real Estate Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 8 votes
6y
AGhh.. Pulling my hair out here:
Has anyone gone thru with this loan and found out if A, it shows on your credit report (Personal) to affect your DTI? My Convo with the SBA rep, indicates that it SHOULD NOT, but they were "not completely sure"
Will they file the Lien under the company name, or go file liens on all assets?
We were in the process of mortgage application when this nightmare started, now I don't know if the SBA EDIL loan (if we take it) will affect that application or not. Anyone gotten futher into the loan process to know on the filing.
Springfield, OH · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
6y
I turned in all documentation on 5/26. Never heard anything back or got closing documents. Called SBA today and he approved immediately, just e signed documents. Anyone know how long it will take to get the advance and proceeds?
Has anyone gone thru with this loan and found out if A, it shows on your credit report (Personal) to affect your DTI? My Convo with the SBA rep, indicates that it SHOULD NOT, but they were "not completely sure"
Will they file the Lien under the company name, or go file liens on all assets?
We were in the process of mortgage application when this nightmare started, now I don't know if the SBA EDIL loan (if we take it) will affect that application or not. Anyone gotten futher into the loan process to know on the filing.
I asked the same question to four different tier 2 people and 3 of them said yes so thats what I'm currently going with.
I turned in all documentation on 5/26. Never heard anything back or got closing documents. Called SBA today and he approved immediately, just e signed documents. Anyone know how long it will take to get the advance and proceeds?
Hi Robert,
Did you talk to a Tier 2 rep? I thought they had no power to do to anything but give information, the loan officer makes things happen. I think it took about a week for me to get the money after signing docs.
Springfield, OH · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
6y
When I called I gave the guy who answered my application number. He mumbled something and put me on hold. After hearing I was # 525 on hold I hung up. Checked my email and loan was approved. Loan amount posted this morning, the advance has not.
Quincy, MA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 0 votes
6y
Question on the use of funds - if I get the funds from EIDL in mid July, can I use part of the loan amount to reimburse myself for the past operating expenses that occurred between Feb and July (like mortgage, insurance, taxes etc.)? Or can I use the funds only for future operating expenses that will occur after the loan amount is deposited in my account?
Also, I have to pay some income tax when I file on or about 7/15. I file Sched E (passive investment, no LLC). Can I pay part or all of the taxes with the EIDL? I saw that IRS debt is one of the acceptable uses of the fund. Not sure if regular income tax payment qualifies as an IRS debt.
Rental Property Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 231 votes
6y
Hey friends! I'm back!
I closed my account due to conflicts at work and the pressure of designing, implementing, and managing the PPP loan origination process.
I'm happy to see you all kept at it! What a wild ride it has been!
My personal update is I received a $1,000 advance grant about a month and a half ago. I received a $10,100 EIDL loan at 3.75 % over 30 years with the first year of payments deferred just a couple weeks ago. I had waited to take the loan but had tenant issues pop up and contractor issues and decided that the uncertainty was warranted.
I'm grateful to see so many were able to receive some relief from this program. I know its not perfect and it has been incredibly frustrating. Hopefully this helped more than the headache it caused.
As a landlord, does anyone know if the EIDL loan proceeds can be used for repairs and improvements to our property(s)?
This article states that, " EIDL funds can also only be used as “working capital” related to economic injury after Jan. 31. They can’t be used as capital for physical improvements..."
I am wondering this same question, I was in the middle of capital improvements for one of my short term rentals and this whole situation has thrown everything off. I am looking to finish my capital improvements and get back generating revenue on the property asap.
What are your thoughts around "working capital" for landlords and short term rentals. To me, capital upgrades are part of normal business, i certainly don't wait years to keep my places looking sharp, thats how I make money.
Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2009 · 196 posts · 32 votes
6y
What I have gathered is that as long as the loan proceeds are used for REPLACEMENTS and not IMPROVEMENTS or UPGRADES, then it's ok. In other words, if you replace a water heater, make sure you're replacing it with a like water heater. And yes, I agree, they are capital upgrades in our business.
NEW YORK, NY · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 6 votes
6y
I received my approval letter for my SBA loan for $60,000 30 day ago. I have 60 days from approval to accept the loan. I've been delaying taking the loan in order to time it with a large upcoming business expense.
SBA contacted me directly and said if I'd like to INCREASE the loan amount, I should do so in writing. I would like to increase the amount. Has anyone requested a loan amount increase? If so what details did you provide?
I received my approval letter for my SBA loan for $60,000 30 day ago. I have 60 days from approval to accept the loan. I've been delaying taking the loan in order to time it with a large upcoming business expense.
SBA contacted me directly and said if I'd like to INCREASE the loan amount, I should do so in writing. I would like to increase the amount. Has anyone requested a loan amount increase? If so what details did you provide?
Thanks!
You're supposed to send an email to them (dcs) and they will send you an email back with 2 forms to fill out and email to "pdc.reconsideration", I did this and it's been a month and crickets.
Investor · Oak Park, MI · Member since 2014 · 299 posts · 47 votes
6y
Has anyone gotten a response from a reconsideration to Increase letter? It's been a bit more than a month and nothing. I've asked them what about if I fill out another application and they always says don't do, it won't work but since there's no response I'm going to call bluff and just apply again, nothing to lose.
Real Estate Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 8 votes
6y
Same here, no response yet. I don't think filling out a new one will work, they already have an issue with duplicate addresses or phones if you have a multi business. Likely a new app will flag also. You could try calling, I have, but can't ever get
Same here, no response yet. I don't think filling out a new one will work, they already have an issue with duplicate addresses or phones if you have a multi business. Likely a new app will flag also. You could try calling, I have, but can't ever get
I've been calling about one-twice a week for months now, they're overwhelmed, basically they have no other answer other than "we don't know". Oh by the way, the cheated me out of the grant, they said in my initial application in early april I should have checked a box for the grant, WHAT BOX! I mean who would turn down free money??? unless it was in microscopic letters I didn't see this box, anyone else not getting the grant?
Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2009 · 196 posts · 32 votes
6y
My 2 cents on the EIDL from when it started to current: Understandably, the entire program was crafted in a emergency and shows its deficiencies. There is no uniformity in the use of the proceeds whatsoever. The advice you get from the SBA reps to any so-called expert attorneys and accountant varies widely from day to day. They are all trying their best to interpret the language in the loan agreement, but the agreement is the most byzantine and vague agreement I have ever seen. Worst of all, you cannot waive your liability or assume any protection based on a verbal statement made by any SBA rep, and an opinion from an accountant or attorney is just that: an opinion. As such, you ask 5 different people their take and get 5 completely different answers. Misinterpretation will run rampant; what you or your advisor deemed as being "good judgment" based on such and such argument, tax or case law is all well and fine, but may not be upheld in a court if it gets that far (doubtful unless you did something blatantly wrong).
I would just take whatever you were approved for, not change ANYTHING (because you will likely never get it done), set up a separate bank account for the proceeds, not touch the funds UNLESS (a) it's for an expense that is clear cut with zero ambiguity that you can point to the agreement and see it stated in the language, and/or (b) it's an absolute necessity to use it. If you need a reconsideration to raise the amount, you can request, but what happens if you hear nothing back and your 60 days is up? I'm waiting for a reconsideration to decrease the amount after I agreed to the full amount but didn't submit the loan agreement, have spoken to 3 SBA reps, got 3 different answers, none of which sounded credible, and another 2 weeks has passed with no response. It is like a bad joke.
Until and unless such time comes that the SBA makes amendments, revisions, or best of all, forgives the entire amount (which one attorney feels strongly may happen Attorney Explains: Will EIDL Loans be Forgiven? then I would err on the side of caution and use common sense I've outlined. I'd say take it and decide later if you need it and can justify using it on clear-cut expenses that ARE NOT SUBJECT TO INTERPRETATION BY ANYONE. If it turns out that you don't need the funds or can't use them on supported expenses as outlined in the loan agreement, then pay it all back. Case closed.