Mortgage company not adjusting HELOC rate with prime rate

Mortgage company not adjusting HELOC rate with prime rate

Member since 2019 · 65 posts · 68 votes

I have a HELOC with an adjustable rate, which the terms clearly state is pegged to the prime rate plus 1.99%. I noticed they were quick to increase the rate when the prime rate was going up, but they have not reduced it since the prime rate started going down in 2019. This is a big difference! And yes, shame on me for not seeing this sooner...was only prompted to check after the biggest rate cuts last month.

So, how long does a mortgage company have to adjust the rate?  Can they simply change these terms at their discretion?  I assume "no" but I can clearly see they are not adjusting for the prime rate decreases.  And I can call them but I know the wait time will be very long (and I want to be prepared in advance).

Finally, is this a typical approach to HELOC rates (i.e. prime + 1.99%), or are better rates available?

0Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Neenah, WI · Member since 2019 · 154 posts · 105 votes
    6y

    It's a lot like gasoline prices.  Retailers are pretty quick to raise prices on the way up but slow to move on the way down. Banks/Mortgage companies are backlogged with Refinances and PPP applications so I would not expect any traction soon.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y

    there could be a floor in your rate that is quite common 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.