Buying a house for mom near me.

Buying a house for mom near me.

Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 1 vote

Hello all. My wife and I will be buying a house for my older mother in the near future, in the next year or so. She’s currently in Texas and I’m in Virginia. Her property and house is in my name, but I don’t plan on selling because it’s the only thing I have from the family when she passes. I’ll try and put a renter in it although it’s barely livable, plus mom is on a fixed income of only social security. My wife and I were thinking of using an fha loan, but some of our options are limited. I’ve found some houses with renters already in place, but fha prohibits purchasing a house with a renter already in place. I like the idea because it gives me a little time to prepare mom and have someone else fit the bill for me. My question, without calling a ton of local lenders and asking is are there any conventional loans out there with low or no down payments? We don’t have a ton of money to throw down. Thanks in advance.

V/r,

Johnny

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @John Legg there is a lot going on here.  If you are buying a property, but not living in it...then that would be an investment property by definition.  So ANY low downpayment options are out.  Now, if you buy the property, and add your mom to the loan, that is different.  And that might be the right course to take here depending on her credit, etc. I would certainly speak to a local lender on what the right loan type would be here.  A good lender should be able to provide some guidance without checking eveyone's credit...that is, as long as you have an idea of what it currently is.  Get income information for both you and your mom and credit score's and incomes and be ready to and talk this scenario through with a mortgage professional. 

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Andrew Postell, thanks! This explains why our broker needed her info for the fha. She has bad credit and lives on a fixed income, which is why fha was the first option. Not that it’s a bad option, just looking for more data tho

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.