FIXING DODD-FRANK/SELLER FINANCING

FIXING DODD-FRANK/SELLER FINANCING

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes

I'd like to get ideas from BP members on the topic of seller financing under the new laws.

Not looking for smart comments from several we already know don't like the changes but here's the fact:

It's the law and we need to follow it.

The CFPB is accepting comments from the public. I'd think it would be naive on our part to think that any regulator dealing with this issue would not be aware of the largest RE investor site on the internet, don't you?

I have kept saying "prudent lending practices" I realize about 5% here understand what that is, we can touch on that later.

But where do you feel you could actively participate in:

1. Gathering supporting documents and information for extending credit. We will assume you'd have a list of documents and simple instructions.

2. How important is a balloon payment to a seller in 3 years, in 5 years and 7 years. There may be some acceptable ways to ensure the ability to meet such requirements.

3. Would you use a standard note and deed of trust or mortgage if one existed?

4. Would you use a standard Lease-Option allowing the option price to be financed if one existed?

5. Would you agree to use a mortgage servicing company, your choice as to who?

6. Would you be willing to (or pay the servicing company or split servicing fees under certain circumstances with a borrower) to complete an annual report of payments and loan activity to be held on file?

7. Would you be willing to attend a class of instruction of 20 hours supervised by the state and pay a fee similar to that of a real estate agent?

8. Would you be willing to obtain a license for RE dealers similar to that of an RE agent?

9. How many RE financing deals would you really expect to do as a seller or buyer?

10. As a seller/lender, would you agree to LTV and CLTV requirements or an equity amount established by a borrower to extend or modify any obligation under certain default instances that would be reasonable and that would require performance of a borrower?

What are your real concerns? Be reasonable keeping in mind the reasoning behind all the changes. Constructive input.

I'd be interest in compiling the information and supporting suggestions for modifications and exemptions that may be allowed by the CFPB.

The BP community could have thousands of justifications and in support to allow modifications, I'm sure that big brother will listen if requests are reasonable, keep within the purpose of the law, place sufficient safeguards in business to be conducted and that can be managed or overseen with little or no additional costs.

Any takers? Any suggestions? I'd like to see an attempt at some constructive measures rather than folks crying about, and trying to circumvent, the laws.

1Reply
307 views

Most Popular Reply

Dion DePaoliPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y

This is constructive but I am not entirely sure I follow. I will just comment on your numbers.

1. A more standardized list of particulars would help educate the public and could help curtail less, to some degree, abuses. However, can a simple list be created or does it instantly turn into a 100 page underwriting book?

Some of this could be counterbalanced with a standard set of documents. Then of course the documents to collect can simply be included. Perhaps with standardized definitions and utilities. As a for instance of the need and the low level of competency, many private loans I have reviewed fail to clear the borrower's identity. What documents can a private person use to do such a thing and are those documents then required to be held in file? It's possible but it needs to remain 'skinny' but adequate.

2. The balloon problem, while I understand it, seems to be more of a political response to mortgage problems rather than a solution. Let's not forget our neighbor to the north uses a 5 year balloon as a part of their promissory notes on a regular basis. They suffered seemingly less than us in the mortgage crisis. Certainly it is easier for them since they have a system which deals with it, everyone does 5 year balloons as a standard. I think balloons have a practical place in lending, which includes short term balloons. I suppose there is not much need for anything less than a 3 year balloon. I would also presume a 5 year would be the more prefered term. Opening these back up, would require having more active participation from private lender/sellers. They can mandate 15 year or 30 amortization, remove any interest only feature. If the market has some folks willing to extend this, then the borrower will not be left in the cold for a refinance, which I think is more of what they were trying to deal with.

3. This is a No Brainer. They need to standardise the documents across all the states. This will give them greater regulatory control I think as well since it will eliminate poorly written documents and or predatory documents. A full standard loan packet, just like conventional lenders use. Free to download and easy to use.

4. No Comment

5. This really needs to be mandated and minimal standards of servicing for this type of requirement should be looked at. For instance, I know of some servicers which offer services but the services are so limited that a private lender really stands a higher chance of breaking a collection law than not. I hate to say it, but FCI comes to mind. Anyone can board a loan, they are willing to take the loan on and as a function trying to keep the cost low, they are pretty hands off. This really leaves the private guy to fend for himself in terms of the creation of borrower correspondence and enforcement of remedies. That then turns into violations pretty quickly. The market needs small servicers for small lenders. The small servicers need some help covering the services gap between being a small servicer and being a large full service servicer. Perhaps require the servicer to provide template documents which the private person downloads from their website or similar. Education maybe?

In addition, they need to clean up who is the direct line of contact. The public needs a better understanding of the difference between the investor and the servicer. I think this becomes confusing for folks. To some degree the public may want a more private lender opposed to being put into a securitized trust. The investor needs to be able to correspond and make decisions but through the servicer so the loan gets back that personal touch. I am sure the servicers who accommodate the little guys don't want to see their burdens increased but this is a growing problem. Folks use a servicer like FCI and then FCI doesn't really help them service, it is more like renting their license.

This likely needs more in depth review and a series of proposed solutions.

6. This too is an issue. Borrower servicing history is obtained from the current servicer but there is no mandate to hold that servicing history from previous servicers and owners as a permanent part of the file. Honestly, I think this is pretty dumb and creates issues in the secondary market and primary market. If I buy Bill's loan and Bill bought it from someone else, usually he doesn't have the old servicing file and payment history. So we are constantly starting over on each file. This can be used to hide factors of the borrower's history to create a sort of dupe on me the new investor. It also eliminates the ability for a new mortgagee to relate to past events in the borrowers file which may be relevant such as hardships. The entire servicing history and payment history needs to be completely portable from investor to investor and servicer to servicer. This actually will help deal with the idea that many private loans and small servicers do not report to any credit agency. So then, this history can also be used for such underwriting situations, perhaps a small fee for the report if you are a credit extender to offset the administrative costs.

The servicer should be required to give an annual report. That too is a no brainer. This will help keep borrowers on top of their accounts to some degree and will give them a better chance to actively manage their loans as a consumer.
7. I don't know if I am on board with this idea. We have to be cautious of turning private folks into institutional folks. Did private lender/sellers crash the market? Certainly some bad apples are out there but the central idea I support is a push back to localized lending not lending with intent to distribute. If I want to sell my house and I am willing to offer financing to do so, it is impractical to expect me to decide such a thing and then go to a class in order to do one transaction. I would think this can be normalized better in a different way. To that regard, we want less of an obstacle/burden to the private person to lend not more. Frankly, the banks need some good private competition. If my tax dollars already act like a backstop for banks and GSE's, it seems like I am already "in the business".

The standardization of documents and perhaps procedures can offset this educational need since the professionals used in the transaction would have that education.

8. Don't like this idea.

9. I don't like the limitation here either. This number needs to increase not decrease. If they properly counterbalanced private folks in the marketplace with standard documents, standard procedures and standard professional services to use to close these transactions then who cares how many a person does? They will pay taxes on their gains and interest. Why do we want to limit credit to the public. This idea of pushing out the private guy creates a gaping hole which can only be filled by institutional lenders who frankly have not proven they can write a better loan than private folks.

Looking at it from a different angle, let's be honest, doing 12 of these deals a year doesn't make you an institutional lender. Perhaps I am unaware of the harm these transactions have done to the public over the years but again, to me, more harm has come from the institutional folks rather than the private folks. These types of restrictions just create market place ruled by the same class of titans.

10. 100%. A standard can be set and implemented. This is wise and offsets the lack of underwriting skill a private person would have. However, caution here, as too high of a barrier and it just pushes the private guy out again.

In general, I have am a huge fan or private loan creation and ownership. In the past I put together some presentations around this idea and used scenes and ideas from "It's A Wonderful Life". Sounds corny, but if you think about (or rewatch, tis the season) George Bailey comes to find toward the end of the movie the greater good he serves to the community opposed to Mr. Potter. As a nation, we want local credit extensions. A more hands on approach to credit in a local market only serves to help the community not hurt it. The large institutional lenders have no need nor duty to really serve the public, they serve their shareholders. The fact that we actually have discussions about how broken mortgage servicing is a clear sign to this. If they wanted to fix it, they could, they don't.

Much of our national response to the mortgage crisis has not or will not solve the problem. Institutional originations are made with an intent to distribute the risk and those originators really only set out to earn fees. Creating a platform for more private folks to get involved will allow for more active participation in the loans being held by those folks. It can bring in more compassionate and responsive reactions to hardship and common sense approaches to credit extension. I don't have the numbers but would love to see them, which has more delinquencies and defaults, institutional loans or private loans? I am guessing, institutional by a fairly large percent. Since we don't have a system in place to monitor that, it is tough to quantify but that too speaks, to some degree, about the need and the direction we are pointing ourselves in. Gearing more toward institutional, where institutional actually caused the spike and the problems.

An interesting tangent that sits on the fringes of many of our conversations here. There is a market place here, around the idea. Where underwriters could earn a living underwriting private loans. I am all for a person getting a license for such and then offering that service to the public for private originations. Same thing with Mortgage Brokers. The mortgage brokers trying to take advantage of this space, in my opinion, seem to be trying to be predatory. For instance Bill, the guy who wanted to charge 4.0% in a recent thread. A cap on that fee to private folks and a clearly defined service role would be beneficial and I would think, fairly easy.

There is also a poor understanding of the professionals that a private lender/seller should use. So clearing that up will help as well. Often times, I see folks turn to title companies as the service provider, they are not my idea of qualified for such matters. In contrast, attorneys are not always either.

The general approach I have always walked away from with regard to regulation on these matters is protect the public by making a 'gatekeeper' who is properly licensed. This can be done by using Mortgage Brokers and Underwriters setup to help serve the private folks. License them but the let the private folks have more market autonomy, we want and need their capital in the market not to mention their prudence. I will care more about a $50k loan if I only have $60k to invest than Bank of America which has billions. If I put my money in BOA, they use my money to make the loan anyway, so why should they get the monopoly of being able to use my money? It ends up in the same place, a loan to a borrower. Only they care less and I care more.

OK, that is enough for now. Not sure if that is what you are looking for or not.

See this reply in the discussion

66 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley Sorry I let you down! Just found this. Looks like you have a great thread going though, and I'm not sure who else would add too it. I've been trying to track down some info on vacant lots today, so... sorry ;)

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks Karen!

    ATTENTION ALL TECHIES like @Brandon Turner and others...

    Let's look at #1, processing and collecting data.

    I would think there would be some way to go to a site and click on forms (as we do here I suppose) but, can a number be assigned when a form or batch of forms are down loaded?

    What I'm after here is if Brandon was doing a SF deal, could he down load a package of forms with each form having a registration number (making it harder, lets add a state identifier and year) say, CO-2014-31234678, then if I did a deal it would print on my forms MO-2014-31234679?

    Thinking along the lines of what the Great State of Texas requires, that all RE sales on residential be on the TREC purchase agreement.

    A regulator would love that, standardized form, with a registration number that can be tracked for audit and review examinations.

    Okay, I'm looking for a carrot for the CFPB, I'd think it would be possible to order the loan package from a site managed by them, a small fee like $5.00 would probably cover it.

    Processing has issues however; 1. Government can't really infringe on free enterprise, there is an available loan processing industry out there, so government can't compete. 2. Audit concerns means that an individual seller can't or shouldn't collect the documents to show the ability to pay if you really want to reduce the possibility of fraud, obviously the borrower can't. 3. Third party documents can be "touched" by a lender or seller, such as an employment verification completed by an employer or pay stubs, tax returns or deposit account statements.

    Seller financed transactions that have been underwritten have and will have a better chance of working than those made between individuals regardless of their intentions.

    Again, to our tech types, banks and institutional mortgage lenders use AUS. AUS is the Automated Underwriting System. Data is inputted and it spits out an approval. This system, while cursed by loan officers, provides approvals and limits the liability of a lender on several fronts. But, it doesn't mean manual underwriting can not be accomplished, when done manually the lender accepts more liability and compliance issues.

    I don't think AUS would work for SF notes, perhaps in a few cases, but a similar system with wider parameters may well be adapted. I can suggest parameters, conditions, assessments and flow of work, but I can't come close to knowing how a program or system would operate.

    But, if there were a system and standardized forms that would be a great improvement and compliance made easier.

    This could really lower the liability "claimed" by mortgage originators. I think a fee structure being the same or more than a conventional loan is gouging. One thread mentioned an MO charging 4 points on a SF deal, I just wondered if he wore a mask.

    While investors can find a RMLO, many have very limited experience, they take a 20 hour course and take a test. These folks are not the broker, but employees. I believe the lack of knowledge contributes to their assumptions about the risks they assume. But, then there will be those that have a better idea and realize investors don't have a choice and simply rip them off. So, there is now a system that builds in a predatory practice potential.

    Standardized forms and systems can work to justify reasonable fees to be charged my MO, while it needs to be profitable, it needs to be fair as well.

    I'd probably process a SF deal, complete the standardized form, note and stamp it with my seal for $500 all day long. It may go to $750, but not more as that's one point origination on a $75,000 loan which any MO would do all day long.

    So, #1, 2 and 3 lean to compliance, the reduction or risk and pricing for services.

    All, IMO, Please comment folks, what are your thoughts?

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley

    Why not take the on-line idea one step further. After "Brandon" registers with the site {The Bigger Pockets Bill Gulley Financing Service}, he is guided through filling out the required forms on-line.

    A unique sequence number could be assigned at the time the process is started.

    The user (Brandon) could interrupt the process of completing the forms {to go get additional information, walk the dog, etc}, saving his current state to be resumed at that point later on.

    The system would allow the user to upload additional documents, pictures, etc, to be used in the prepared documents themselves, or as appendices.

    Once complete, the forms can be printed or sent to the borrower electronically ... or, better yet, the borrower could be invited to log into the system and provide his/her information to complete the {virtual}paperwork.

    The system could automatically forward the completed documents to any required agency or chosen servicer.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    ROTFLMAO, "Bigger Pockets Bill Gulley Financing Service....."

    I don't think so.

    But other thoughts, absolutely, you're in the area of possibilities Roy.

    But, let's figure this out, Joe is selling to Bob, both are motivated to do the deal. What keeps Bob honest in providing information? Or, what keeps Joe from predatory practices like selling a 50K house for 70K?

    Absolutely, the AUS can be done in that manner, there is no reason to use paper, until the end product is used.

    I know you can copy hard documents into a system, but the hard document is a "source document" in auditing so you can't do away with that really.

    That #8 that got so much negative attention, if we could view that as a voluntary permit, would allow some leeway making it easier but....

    I really don't see a way that the government will "approve" any transaction, they won't go there and there will have to be some mediator or facilitator being involved.

    I like the "forward to any servicer" part too, that would be a preferred way I'm sure. A seller should retain a file as well and probably hard source documents.

    Not to let any cat out of the bag, but I'll bet mortgage servicers that accept private contracts will enter the origination process market. I'd have to think it's in the planning stage if not already provided by some.

    I'd like to compile the ideas here and what investors are willing to live with into a submission to the CFPB for clarification and possible structure for exemptions or considerations on this matter.

    If I were 40, I'd get back in the game, originating, servicing and even providing guarantees on SF deals.......but, I'm not 40! :)

  • Real estate investor · Las Vegas · Member since 2013 · 798 posts · 171 votes
    12y

    predatory practices like selling a 50K house for 70K?- this is the problem w/ this whole law. It will prevent many people unable to buy a home from doing so, it restricts the way people can sell their property unnecessarily, and forces people to use (and pay for) services that they dont need (apprasials, etc). This law isnt protecting anyone! It was pushed by people representing the loaning industry to cut the side deals. Does an apprasial really prevent people from getting ripped off? No. You cant sell a 50k house for 70k to someone that doesnt think it is worth 70k. And if this is a law that is enforced (doubtful), streamlined processes will be created, most likely via the lenders that will have the knowledge/ability and another path to collect fees.

  • Investor · Midwest, USA · Member since 2012 · 204 posts · 33 votes
    12y

    Where are these rules actually published??

  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    The CFPB extends beyond the mortgage/SF realm into pretty much anything having to do with finance. All the regs are on the website here:

    http://www.consumerfinance.gov/regulations/

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Bill Gulley:

    @Dion DePaoli I also had similar structure ideas of separate entities as employed by the MH guys. Ken Rishel (can' @ him) spoke to a clearing house I believe.

    Regional origination operations? Note purchase-repurchase arrangements? Put the thinking cap on!

    Bill I didn't follow what structure you referred to on this. Can you elabroate?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    @Dion DePaoli , vague I know. I'm not sure what @Ken Rishel was suggesting but he made a comment as to the MH dealers entering into a sophisticated relationship I believe involving various entities for compliance in doing business.

    If you can inject funds from a qualified lender then affiliate relationships could just fund purchases and portfolio notes with affiliate relationships, such as conduits with affiliate banking relationships, could be rather simple to convoluted.

    I think that a centralized origination and servicing operation could be established. If I had a SF deal that was regulated,I could just turn it over to the originators to do the deal. May be possible for me to assign the note and gain a separate obligation payable to me from that origination/servicer.

    I've not given much thought to conduit financing but I'd think it could be worked out.

    Maybe Ken could bring us up to date on the progress being made my the MH industry as to any arrangements, modifications or exemptions.

    Obviously one small investor can't become a compliant lender, but 200 banding together certainly could.

    The original questions, that are getting lost here, lend to the possibility of investors acting together as well.

    I'll toss out too, that a servicer is in a position to advance funds due under an obligation and in the event of default could, by agreement, assume the obligation, continue paying and secure the collateral to pay off the obligation, somewhat similar to PMI but it's not an insurance arrangement. :)

  • Investor · Midwest, USA · Member since 2012 · 204 posts · 33 votes
    12y

    Say I buy/sell/rent homes on a regular basis and in any given year my strategy is to sell 5 to 10 of them with owner financing. What do I need to do to comply?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Larry, if selling to owner occupied SFD buyers you'd need to comply with the Dodd-Frank/SAFE Act. Just search for the Act and you'll see threads on compliance issues. Search for Dodd-Frank 2014. The link to the CPFB is provided above as well. We need to stay on topic as to the original questions and options in operations that might be available to investors.

    What we are looking for here are solutions, data that might be used in that goal. :)

  • Investor · Vincennes, IN · Member since 2013 · 223 posts · 108 votes
    12y

    I would imagine if there was a need, which there is, a business could be made out of originating seller financed transactions. Just look at how many businesses are popping up in regards to crowdfunding. Of course the business platform would have to be profitable, yet economical to be utilized. I would gladly pay a fee to remove the origination and servicing of a transaction.

    With such a system, who would set the qualification parameters of the borrower? One reason seller financing is offered, is because the borrowers wouldn't typically qualify for traditional financing. If they would need to qualify the same way, there really wouldn't be a reason to seller finance.

    Also, whose responsibility would it be in case of a default? The originator/servicer or the seller?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Well, I would set the parameters, of course! (LOL)

    Much of that remains to be seen as the demands of the market should prevail. The basis for that is related to those initial questions asked initially. What do investors want and what are they willing to do in order to develop a systematic approach to seller financing.

    We could talk about what "prudent lending" is again, but how about what it should not be in seller financing. The initial effort is not in underwriting according to strict standards as in secondary market lending, it's more about how can the transaction be made or done with a higher degree of success?

    While many of the assumptions and assessments made in conventional financing certainly apply this analysis it is not about meeting as many hurdles at the time of origination as is the case in cash lending operations. These are equity funded obligations and different aspects apply to these obligations than to cash disbursements.

    The goal is to ensure borrowers succeed in time, that they are willing and able to overcome those financial difficulties that keep them from obtaining conventional financing. Any prudent lender considers matters that relate to future performance but it is more critical when you accept lower thresholds related to credit and ability of a borrower. Lenders have called this "common sense underwriting".

    It's not so much about not meeting a certain aspect normally considered, like the time on the job a borrower has but what is an acceptable variance from the norm.

    You certainly can't lower standards to the point where sub-prime lenders operated a few years ago, to approving anyone who could fog a mirror. Not everyone is capable of buying real estate nor is ownership always the best solution. Seller financing is best for those who could obtain a conventional loan and choose seller financing for other reasons. Then seller financing is useful for those "near miss" borrowers, those that fail to qualify due to time on the job or a past bankruptcy issue where such issues can be cured in time. It's also applicable when a property doesn't qualify.

    The reason we have loan standards fall on several fronts, requirements by security investors that fund the mortgage industry, historic data that has shown to support success, standardization for compliance and as to the ability of loan officers to make better decisions and measure their performance as well as for marketing aspects for loan products that meet reasonable demands.

    The area most lacking in seller finance underwriting is education for originators where variances from a standard norm remains prudent in keeping with the ultimate goal. The problem here is that I have never seen any system or program that can replace experience. You just can't get a young or even an older originator that has specialized in niche financing to make sound underwriting decisions that vary from the norm. Good judgment can't be learned out of any manual, it's a learned talent over time.

    I know two originators locally that have had just a few years of experience and who obtained the originator's license to work under a broker or bank. Neither one has experience or depth of knowledge to underwrite or make good loan decisions on loans that veer off from structured loan programs. Consider that a bank can hire someone out of college and have them attend a 20 hour course, memorize answers and pass a test to originate a mortgage.

    Our law makers and regulators, IMO aren't getting the big picture that flexibility in seller financed loans is necessary and they also have difficulty in allowing flexibility in decision making as it can't really be defined other than by saying "prudent lending practices" and that is something that has evolved over decades, it can't be taught nor easily defined to address every situation. There needs to be a balance that can be easily communicated and measured to regulate their actions.

    Hopefully, by seeing what investors really need to conduct business and what they might be willing to accept, some standardization can be developed that government will accept. Better education will be a key component. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    "...I know two originators locally that have had just a few years of experience and who obtained the originator's license to work under a broker or bank. Neither one has experience or depth of knowledge to underwrite or make good loan decisions on loans that veer off from structured loan programs. Consider that a bank can hire someone out of college and have them attend a 20 hour course, memorize answers and pass a test to originate a mortgage....."

    I agree adequate training is a MAJOR issue...

    while at a local branch (not ours) settling a parents' estate/RE property issue the 'kid' (who graduated political science 6 months ago, but was fully trained by the Bank), began to lecture me on refinancing some of the free & clear properties we held. He then advised me to invest the large cash reserves on hand into an annuity the Bank was currently pushing.

    My wife had to hold me back.....

  • Investor · Vincennes, IN · Member since 2013 · 223 posts · 108 votes
    12y

    I will say I have zero experience in mortgage origination and have to admit I get lost easy following some of this. I do though have a teeny bit of tenant verification experience.

    Here is our scenario where I see prudent lending falling short. We could qualify someone to rent, say a $500 a month home. This person may never qualify for any sort of loan, whatsoever, but they can and will have to pay $500 for housing somewhere. I can qualify them to rent, but I can't qualify them to finance that same home. (Granted there would need to be factored in the additional cost of home ownership vs renting)

    Now wouldn't a seller financer have more incentive to see this person succeed at home ownership than the originator, due to having their own skin in the game? Not saying I wouldn't be willing to have the process sourced out somehow, just would like a say into how it is done.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Matt, sorry it's difficult to follow, I'll try to explain a little better.

    Well, a seller wit good intentions, yes, the problem is intentions can't be measured. A seller has a greater financial interest in the failure of a borrower, as many investors demonstrated by taking the down, collecting payments, going to foreclosure, rinse and repeat. Pretty much why seller financing has been clamped down on in the first place.

    So, no, I don't see sellers being trusted to continue as they have in the past.

    Ownership is riskier too. A renter should already be paying toward maintenance, the issue is paying the $1,000 deductible for a new roof, paying $1,500 for the busted furnace, it's the ability to cover unforeseen large expenses with ownership.

    The ability to pay in financing includes these aspects as opposed to qualifying a tenant.

    You may not be aware that the SAFE Act exempts non-profit housing organizations like Habitat for Humanity. I've devised rental programs that moved into an ownership interest that later moved into a note and deed of trust. Special provisions can be made so that if larger unexpected expenses arise, the organization can advance funds and add that to the note.

    In fact, that may be something that could be devised in cases where high ratios or lower assets could be an issue as well as in lower income/priced deals.

  • Investor · Vincennes, IN · Member since 2013 · 223 posts · 108 votes
    12y

    Yes, I realize we can't continue as in the past. Actually I just wanted to gripe a bit.

    Appreciate your posts trying to make sense of it.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    No more gripping rants....LOL

    Speaking of non-profits, actually I do see a way around the SF issues, probably.

    If I have a house, say it's free and clear, I can sell with seller financing to a non-profit. They could then sell to a client of theirs and do so by financing it.

    No, not a wrap, but allowing them to originate and qualify their client.

    But:

    The non-profit can't be related to me, its board of directors should be related to me.

    The N/P should have a valid housing mission in the community

    The mission of the N/P would need to allow business to be conducted that profits to the extent that amounts made would promote the overall mission.

    If you have a N/P in your area, something along these lines might work. I do see how it could be said it was a method to circumvent the law, however the N/P being independent and unrelated would help that, as well as any additional assistance made by the N/P, showing that it is a valid transaction.

    A seller of the property may also work out tax deductions for qualified organizations off setting gains.

    Lots of possibilities working in non-profits.

    But that's getting off topic again but still could be a solution..

  • Real Estate Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2013 · 415 posts · 84 votes
    12y

    1. I agree with many previously mention of standardized forms and at minimum standard information to be gathered and filed.

    2. Not entirely necessary for myself to have a balloon payment , however just like what I see many banks doing and is an ARM in which it would be a nice option for a seller to be able to raise the interest rate to keep with market rates. Of course it would have to have a base to go off of (LIBOR maybe) and a persons rate couldn't go up anymore than 1% in any 12 month period and could only go up say maybe a total of 5%??? Of course, all of this couldn't happen the very first year but say in 3/5/7 when the balloon would originally be set. IDK just an idea.

    3.Doesn't matter to me at this point in time.

    4.I personally don't let the option price to be financed at all. If a person can't afford the option $$ then they in essence couldn't afford a down payment therefore in my standards don't qualify.

    5.If we had to use a service mortgage company that would be ok, however, since I am small time , I would want to be able to pass the cost of doing so down the line and not have to absorb the cost. Really though this would be a benefit down the road when I want to be more hands off and also for investors that have a lot of OWC properties.

    6.Within reason, yes, really though this should be a simple 1 or 2 page doc that can be filled out in 15 minutes or less . Nothing complicated that you would have to pay someone hours up hours to complete.

    7.IDK. I am all for continuing education but at the same notion have been to some state education classes for my other business and it seems to be more of a way for the state to make more revenue and control more businesses than a true educational seminar. IMO

    8. Not sure . Need to think of the pros and cons a bit about this one.

    9. I personally would like to do as many as I could due to having dealt with banks for the past 12 years for my other business and personally . It seems like when you need/want money to grow a business you need to submit every doc under the sun and then also go through a bunch of hoops to get a deal done. Just always seemed like a bunch of hassle . Also it is sad when you talk with a banker and know more about certain financing structures than they do.

    10. LTV yes, I always feel a person should have skin in the game that way it is harder for them to walk from a deal. If I understand this second part correctly... a Loan Mod??? I'm not sure I would want to modify a loan that I may have written for someone to purchase one of my properties. I have never had a bank willing to modify any of my equipment loans, nor should they. A deal was a deal. When a piece of equipment has an engine go out and its virtually only worth scrape metal without the engine I have never ran back to a bank and said I cant afford this payment anymore because the engine is blow so we are going to have to modify this loan so I can afford a new engine. Yes, I know I went off on a tangent here, however, IMO a deal is a deal and if you can't pay for it sell it or liquidate it and move forward. Life happens to good and not so good people.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Aaron, good points and thanks for getting us back on track.

    The ARM approach is pretty much secondary market. personally I'd like to see an adjustment allowed with a greater rate cap tied to a longer term before an adjustment. IOW, After three years the rate may go up say 1.5% and stay there or go up 2% after five years, perhaps either could then adjust annually after that at the secondary market schedule.

    The idea here is not so much as higher interest earnings, but a shock rate that motivates a borrower to refinance.

    Where the law makers/regulators missed the boat was in denying a balloon payment until half the principal has been repaid. The only rule is that the loan be fully amortized and with income qualification, so a loan could be amortized for 15 years. Take a sale at 45K, 5K down, in about 8 years half has been repaid, the balance may be 22K. What's the chance of a borrower getting a 22 or 24 (including closing costs) first mortgage? I'd say slim and none due to minimum loan amounts. They borrower would have a better chance of getting 40K in three years!

    As to requiring any loan modification requirements, this would not be an easy thing to devise in all fairness. The hammer needs to used on those with a poor payment history and who are in default. Any basis for any modification needs to look at the initial terms and qualifications. My thinking, along the lines with conventional requirements, is that there will be loans made from MLOs that have poor judgment. It also depends on the equity established in a poorly originated note. I see this decision being made by or with the approval of a registered loan servicer, and who would oversee any modification. They would also have the same oversight to proceed with foreclosures.

    Just my initial thoughts, but some or many of these areas may not be something to fight over. I'm thinking investors really aren't interested in getting too involved in the origination, but more toward a standardized, simplified system that would be affordable and passed on, in whole or in part, to the buyer. :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2013 · 415 posts · 84 votes
    12y

    Can we brainstorm here a little?

    Say for some reason @Bill Gulley wants to sell me a house and finance it ;)

    How would a person go about doing this? Is there going to be a new business model out there that just does loan originating and underwriting? I would have to think that Bill wouldn't be able to talk with me on the deal because it will be a conflict of interest unless he has no affiliation/influence on the deal whatsoever with the underwriters, correct?

    Wouldn't then the issue be that if I would be able to qualify for under this underwriting, I too would be able to qualify under traditional aka conventional underwriting standards? This would defeat the purpose of going owner financing for the most part due to most wanting to sell owner financed know they can get a better rate of return on their money this way vs many other investments??? I understand many do it for the tax implication of collecting all profit all at once so there still is a little bit of reason for them to do it but not a lot, that I can think of.

    Or... would the owner be able to have some leniency on the underwriting? Which then we fall back into the conversation of subprime.....

    Not to get political but it seems like just more and more regulation...

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    So far, you'd need the intention of living in the property, if my loan is commercial it's exempt.

    Next, the owner can certainly discuss and negotiate, but they can't develop the terms but then they are forced to accept them either, so in reality, I see the seller, the buyer and the MLO all sitting there together, the MLO must approve the deal and it needs to meet certain requirements, debt to income ratio of 43%, restrictions of balloons, fully amortized, if adjustable rates are agreed to then those restrictions will apply. It's not that a borrower needs to qualify for a secondary market loan, it's that it's not the wild west where anything you dream up will be allowed to fly. :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2013 · 415 posts · 84 votes
    12y

    Ok, fair enough.

    So where does a person find a private MLO? lol Or will this be a new business for people to develop?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Finding one seems to be an issue and why there needs to be some allowance. I have spoken with a few in my area, they either can't due to corporate issues or they don't feel comfortable in trying to do it and there is the market/profit/demand issue.

    I think some regional originators and processing centers could solve the issue, having enough business to keep the costs reasonable and providing servicing as well. But, no one asked me. :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2013 · 415 posts · 84 votes
    12y

    Well @Bill Gulley if I could do my idea (aka if I had your knowledge) I could see someone making a VERY profitable business by hosting an online MLO . You could be stationed where you live currently. Turn around and set up conference meetings with the buyer and seller at the same time via skype or some other system . Go through the whole process, fill out the docs and then overnight the docs and have them sign the docs and have them notarized... Like I said if I had any idea how to do this I think it would help a ton of investors through this headache and could be reasonably priced plus have a huge amount of workload.

    Just an idea ;)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.