Land contract Seller Payback 80% if Buyer defaut

Land contract Seller Payback 80% if Buyer defaut

Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 8 votes

I just got off the phone with a seller who states that in a land contract, he would have to pay back up to 80% of payments to the buyer if the buyer defaults. Thus, he wants nothing to do with carrying the note. This is in OHIO, and I can not find anywhere that it states what he is saying. Has anyone run into this or have anything that states it or not? 

0Reply
24 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jake Bourgraf:

    I just got off the phone with a seller who states that in a land contract, he would have to pay back up to 80% of payments to the buyer if the buyer defaults. Thus, he wants nothing to do with carrying the note. This is in OHIO, and I can not find anywhere that it states what he is saying. Has anyone run into this or have anything that states it or not? 


     we have done a lot of land contracts in Ohio and I have never seen this. There are rules in Ohio where if the borrower has more than 20% equity or has held the land contract for more than five years then the lender must go through a judicial foreclosure as if it was a mortgage. 

    In Maryland there is a law if it is not recorded the borrower at any point can request all payments be reimbursed back to them. CRAZY

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Jake Bourgraf:

    I just got off the phone with a seller who states that in a land contract, he would have to pay back up to 80% of payments to the buyer if the buyer defaults. Thus, he wants nothing to do with carrying the note. This is in OHIO, and I can not find anywhere that it states what he is saying. Has anyone run into this or have anything that states it or not? 


     we have done a lot of land contracts in Ohio and I have never seen this. There are rules in Ohio where if the borrower has more than 20% equity or has held the land contract for more than five years then the lender must go through a judicial foreclosure as if it was a mortgage. 

    In Maryland there is a law if it is not recorded the borrower at any point can request all payments be reimbursed back to them. CRAZY


     Yes, I saw the 20% but not the other part so just looking to see if anyone has dealt with it in Ohio. 

    I prefer seller financing so I keep the deed. Whats the major difference in the two? 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jake Bourgraf:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Jake Bourgraf:

    I just got off the phone with a seller who states that in a land contract, he would have to pay back up to 80% of payments to the buyer if the buyer defaults. Thus, he wants nothing to do with carrying the note. This is in OHIO, and I can not find anywhere that it states what he is saying. Has anyone run into this or have anything that states it or not? 


     we have done a lot of land contracts in Ohio and I have never seen this. There are rules in Ohio where if the borrower has more than 20% equity or has held the land contract for more than five years then the lender must go through a judicial foreclosure as if it was a mortgage. 

    In Maryland there is a law if it is not recorded the borrower at any point can request all payments be reimbursed back to them. CRAZY


     Yes, I saw the 20% but not the other part so just looking to see if anyone has dealt with it in Ohio. 

    I prefer seller financing so I keep the deed. Whats the major difference in the two? 


    significant difference in a traditional mortgage where deed is transferred vs. a contract for deed. if I was the buyer, no chance I would do a CFD - I want title in my entity. I would recommend discussing it with an attorney to describe all the nuances.

    7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.