Seller Financed Deal - What am I missing?

Seller Financed Deal - What am I missing?

Aaron RamPro Member
Investor · Stamford, CT · Member since 2011 · 52 posts · 20 votes

Hi all,

Posted on biggerpockets my first deal back in 2011, this forum gave me the confidence to get it done. Amazing what this community has turned into. This is my first commercial deal and 2nd seller financed deal. I would appreciate any advice on anything I may be missing with putting this together or should neogotiate before finanlizing.

Negotiated so far:

Property: 9 Unit - 7 Apartments + 2 Commercial Garages (4 unit apt building + 3 unit apt building w/ commercial garage attached + standalone commercial garage on same lot)

Background/Why owner is selling: A seasoned builder of 50 years, the owner purchased the property in the 1970s for around $8,000.00, later developing three apartments and two commercial structures. They acquired the neighboring four-unit in the 1990s for $150,000.00. With everything paid off, they’re looking to slow down but are hesitant to sell due to capital gains considerations.

Purchase Price: $1,750,000.00

Downpayment: $400,000.00 - Will do a 1031 - Selling two of my SF properties for the downpayment (bought for 120k + 146k back in 2017 & 2015). 

Seller financing: Note for $1,350,000.00  - 7% amortized over 30 years with balloon payment after 7 years, interest only. ( I am trying to get the first year at 6% to stabilize then go to 7% remaining 6 years)

Property Condition: Above average. Properties built with steel beams, both roofs less than 10 years, all heating systems under 5 years etc. Walking through, I can see that owner is the type that spares little expense with his own properties. 

Value: I am paying current market value. I will evaluate per building. No 4 unit multifamily has sold in the last 2 years. They are rare. Reviewing comps it would sell quickly at $800,000.00  (conservatively). The 3 apt + 2 Commercial Garages is a unique property. Doing my best to comp, it would be around $1,000,000.00. 

Leases in place: 2 apt Leases will expire in 2026. All others are month to month or expiring this year.

I used a spreadsheet I typically use to analyze a financed deal. Here is a screenshot. Appreciate any advice at all.

Things to note: I have a well qualified plumber tenant for the bigger under house garage already. The garages will have 3% increases year over year once leased. The rent increases are with no added renovation besides typical unit turnover. I expect to outperform these numbers.

1Reply
34 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Devin PetersonBusiness Member
    Lender · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2022 · 2k+ posts · 667 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Aaron Ram:

    Hi all,

    Posted on biggerpockets my first deal back in 2011, this forum gave me the confidence to get it done. Amazing what this community has turned into. This is my first commercial deal and 2nd seller financed deal. I would appreciate any advice on anything I may be missing with putting this together or should neogotiate before finanlizing.

    Negotiated so far:

    Property: 9 Unit - 7 Apartments + 2 Commercial Garages (4 unit apt building + 3 unit apt building w/ commercial garage attached + standalone commercial garage on same lot)

    Background/Why owner is selling: A seasoned builder of 50 years, the owner purchased the property in the 1970s for around $8,000.00, later developing three apartments and two commercial structures. They acquired the neighboring four-unit in the 1990s for $150,000.00. With everything paid off, they’re looking to slow down but are hesitant to sell due to capital gains considerations.

    Purchase Price: $1,750,000.00

    Downpayment: $400,000.00 - Will do a 1031 - Selling two of my SF properties for the downpayment (bought for 120k + 146k back in 2017 & 2015). 

    Seller financing: Note for $1,350,000.00  - 7% amortized over 30 years with balloon payment after 7 years, interest only. ( I am trying to get the first year at 6% to stabilize then go to 7% remaining 6 years)

    Property Condition: Above average. Properties built with steel beams, both roofs less than 10 years, all heating systems under 5 years etc. Walking through, I can see that owner is the type that spares little expense with his own properties. 

    Value: I am paying current market value. I will evaluate per building. No 4 unit multifamily has sold in the last 2 years. They are rare. Reviewing comps it would sell quickly at $800,000.00  (conservatively). The 3 apt + 2 Commercial Garages is a unique property. Doing my best to comp, it would be around $1,000,000.00. 

    Leases in place: 2 apt Leases will expire in 2026. All others are month to month or expiring this year.

    I used a spreadsheet I typically use to analyze a financed deal. Here is a screenshot. Appreciate any advice at all.

    Things to note: I have a well qualified plumber tenant for the bigger under house garage already. The garages will have 3% increases year over year once leased. The rent increases are with no added renovation besides typical unit turnover. I expect to outperform these numbers.


    Aaron that’s a huge W! Congrats on all the success so far. I am a CT based investor myself, very hot market! My only question is does your SF note need a balloon? I try to leave balloon period out unless they explicitly asked for an end to the timeline. Given their age and position in life… mailbox money flow forever sounds like a good start to retirement to me!

  • Aaron RamPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Stamford, CT · Member since 2011 · 52 posts · 20 votes
    1y

    @Devin Peterson Thanks for the reply and nice to meet another CT investor. What market are you in? It has been tough to find attractive deals in Fairfield County. Relationships are key -this off-market deal was found through a longtime realtor friend and my last seller financed deal was through a landlord/client I worked with for several years. 

    Response to your question: This is the last of their portfolio that was sold off over time. Their family has no desire to deal with the property. They suggested 5-7 years and we settled at the 7 for the balloon. I should be able to payoff the note at that time easily with these numbers going in. Hopefully the rates are better.

  • Devin PetersonBusiness Member
    Lender · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2022 · 2k+ posts · 667 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Aaron Ram:

    @Devin Peterson Thanks for the reply and nice to meet another CT investor. What market are you in? It has been tough to find attractive deals in Fairfield County. Relationships are key -this off-market deal was found through a longtime realtor friend and my last seller financed deal was through a landlord/client I worked with for several years. 

    Response to your question: This is the last of their portfolio that was sold off over time. Their family has no desire to deal with the property. They suggested 5-7 years and we settled at the 7 for the balloon. I should be able to payoff the note at that time easily with these numbers going in. Hopefully the rates are better.


    From Middletown! But invest all over the state and in FL. There are a plethora of CT based real estate Invetsor meet ups you should get involved with. Let’s connect and I’ll share the list with you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Stamford, CT · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 33 votes
    1y

    Hey @Aaron Ram, fellow Stamford-based investor here. Love to see a seller financed/1031 exchange combo deal. 

    Where is the property located? I was thinking Stamford at first, but the projected rents seem low for the area.

    I have one comment on the financing, you mentioned a 30-year amortization but then also mentioned interest only, which one is it? If it is indeed I/O, I would just make sure you have enough NOI to cover the refi with some conservative debt sizing assumptions. I see you did a loan sizing down below on your sheet, but I'm thinking that's on current NOI and not on a 7-year projection. (And if that's the case, you should be fine in 7 years).

  • Aaron RamPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Stamford, CT · Member since 2011 · 52 posts · 20 votes
    1y

    @Elio Campiolo Jr  Nice to meet you Elio. Great to see more Stamford investors on here.  

    Sorry I've been relying on chatgpt a bit much. It is 7% interest only with balloon at end of 7 year term.

    Monthly Interest: $7,875.00

    Annual Expenses: $50,000.00

    ---------------------------------

    The NCF in year 1: $26,000.00+

    2nd year is when it really takes off at $80,000.00+

     Thank you for the advice on looking at refinance a bit closer.  The property can just about cover the refi in year one.  I looked at the rental trend over the past 10 years, I should be fine in year 7 for the refinance unless rates are totally out of this world.

    Your right those rents would be really low for Stamford. This in a desirable town further North.

  • Aaron RamPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Stamford, CT · Member since 2011 · 52 posts · 20 votes
    1y

    @Devin Peterson Definitely always down to network. I have been to quite a few meetups in the past. However, most tend to get very watered down with sales pitches etc.  Still open to them of course. 
     

  • Meriden, CT · Member since 2018 · 700 posts · 501 votes
    1y

    @Aaron Ram - congratulations.  I'm a local investor, flipper, and property management company owner.  I'd love to connect.  DM me if interested.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.