What interest rate do you charge for owner financing?

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ridgeland, MS · Member since 2009 · 106 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    I'm fairly certain you will see that this varies from person to person. I am sure it depends on if the borrower is putting oney down, if so, how much, etc.
    As for our company, we are normally in the 8-10 range.

    Hope that helps.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2008 · 885 posts · 316 votes
    17y

    It entirely depends on the circumstances, downpayment, credit score, their desperation to buy, your desperation to sell, property condition, economic condition, etc.

    That being said, I just closed on an owner finance property on Friday. I charged 7%. Was lower than I like to get, but he was a strong buyer and was already locked into a 5.75% mortgage. The bank saw value in him, and so did I.

  • Wholesaler · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 369 posts · 75 votes
    17y

    11.25% - 12%

  • Real Estate Investor · marathon, OH · Member since 2008 · 33 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    Be sure not to go above your state's usury law.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jeff F:
    Be sure not to go above your state's usury law.
    What would that be Jeff?
    In the 80's banks were charging 15%-18%. Did that go over the user law?

  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 495 votes
    17y

    Jeff is right you don;t want to go over "state's usury law" when seller financing your properties. In creating a secure and saleable real estate note you want to make sure you are charging at least slightly over market rates with out over charging. The norm for land contracts is 10%. Mortgage notes with less than normal rates will be discounted more if the note is sold.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    17y

    I currently hold two notes from sales. One is at 8% one at 9%, 15 year terms with 5 year balloon.

    :cool:

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    My question was not answered. I am not asking what rates you are currently receiving. I was asking what would be above adn beyond a states usery law?
    I pointed out an example of notes in the mid to high teens for interest rates back in the 80's. Today, you have HML writing notes for 18% as well. Granted those are usually short term.

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2012 · 43 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    I am just wondering if rolling all my rentals over into owner financing is a good strategy for retirement and cashflow?  Other than non payment causing a foreclosure there seems to be alot of positives netting around 9.9% on 30yr notes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.