You Can Get 2 FHA Loans in Certain Rare Situations!

You Can Get 2 FHA Loans in Certain Rare Situations!

Roanoke, Vriginia · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Hello all! I currently own a town home that I want to rent out in order to house-hack my next purchase and begin my REI career. My main issue is that my current property is under a FHA loan. So, I emailed my original mortgage broker today. I was talking to him about my plans and I asked him what my options were. I thought I would have to refinance, but he told me that I may qualify for a second FHA loan! I couldn't believe it! Now this situation may not apply to many people, but I wanted to share just in case there are others in the same situation as me. In certain circumstances you can qualify for a second FHA loan under a relocation exemption. My lender said since I work over 50 miles away from my current residence that I should qualify for this! He also mentioned that the rules on this were kind of vague, but I should have a good chance of being eligible. I believe there are only a few more exemptions to the 1 FHA loan rule - such as an increase in family size, divorce/separation, and maybe one other situation. If anyone has any other relevant info to add, please share!

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y
Upen Patel knows all about these rules.
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Kristin Cofflin

    I was told the exact same thing by my mortgage lender and I actually pre-qualified for a second FHA loan last year. I decided against using an FHA though because I ended up buying a single family home and 5% down wasn't a stretch. I also was able to pay off the PMI.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Upen Patel knows all about these rules.
  • Roanoke, Vriginia · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Anthony Gayden That's awesome! Do you still own your first property? 

  • Roanoke, Vriginia · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thanks! @Max T.

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Kristin Cofflin Yes I still own it. It is a 4 plex in Tucson, AZ. I lived in it for a year before relocating to Omaha. That relocation made me eligible for a second FHA.
  • Upen PatelPro Member
    Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
    9y

    Hey! @Max T.. Thanks for the mention.

    @Kristin Cofflin Just because your current house is 50 miles from your job, doesn't mean that you are going to get an FHA exception. If this not a new job, then nothing has changed and you will not qualify. If it is a new job, then the decision will be based on the location of the new property and the typical commute time for your area.

  • Roanoke, Vriginia · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Upen Patel Thanks for the clarification! I did just get a new job in April, but I was also commuting just as long before this job. Does that matter? To clarify, when I purchased my town home (in late 2013) I only commuted 5 mins away, but soon after that I lost my job and started commuting over 1 hour each way. 

  • Upen PatelPro Member
    Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
    9y

    @Kristin Cofflin If you have already had the long commute then very unlikely to get the exception.

  • Roanoke, Vriginia · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the info @Upen Patel

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.