Can I get a HELOC on a property I just purchased?

Can I get a HELOC on a property I just purchased?

Investor · Athens, GA · Member since 2015 · 205 posts · 66 votes

Hi all 

I was wondering if it is possible/advisable to get a HELOC on a property immediately after purchasing it?

What I was thinking about doing is taking out the HELOC in order to make some improvements to the property using OPM and hang on to my cash.

Given that I am putting down 25% on the property it seems like I would have enough equity to get a HELOC but I'm not up to speed on how HELOCs work.

If there is a better option to accomplish the same goal that you can suggest I would love to hear it.  Thanks!

0Reply
9 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Jenison, MI · Member since 2016 · 158 posts · 79 votes
    9y

    It is possible I did it using my local community credit union. The rates are great 4% now was 3.5% they offered 80 90 and 100% LTV but it was on my primary only.

    suggestion call local banks!

  • Investor · Athens, GA · Member since 2015 · 205 posts · 66 votes
    9y
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.