Stated income HELOC?

Stated income HELOC?

Residential Real Estate Broker · Plantation, FL · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes

We'd like to get a HELOC to be able to have money to put down with a HML in order to be able to purchase a property to fix and flip.

We have about $150k in equity in our personal home.  We have credit scores in the mid-700's and low debt.  However, we are both self-employed and take all possible deductions so income does not show to be very high.

Does anyone do stated income, no doc or low doc HELOC's?

1Reply
104 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 16 votes
8y

Thanks for your fatherly advice, but I did not Lie to the IRS, and I did accurately report my income taking full advantage of my allowable deductions.  If you would like to add a constructive recommendation on how I can get a loan, thats fine , otherwise your keep your condescending tone to yourself.  I am fully aware of the tax laws for real estate professionals!!!

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Melvin ListBusiness Member
    Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 381 votes
    9y

    @Ana Huffer I stated HELOC will be very tough to find but you may be able to do a new first with bank statements.

    C2 Financial
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Were you able to get a lender? I am in a similar situation. I have a person who wants to do a partnership with his paid off personal residence (but is self employed with subpar credit), we would be splitting the profits 50/50, I will be doing the rehabbing. We are looking to get a HELOC (to provide the down payment for HML), flip right after rehab, and continue to flip for a year. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to get a property under contract for the flip soon.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Plantation, FL · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    We have our accounts in a credit union. I spoke with our contact there and he said they could do it. We are in the process at the moment. Should be done soon! We have excellent credit and low debt so I think that helped. 

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    @AnaHuffer how did it work out with your credit union?

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Plantation, FL · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    We got approved but with the condition that we had to show tax returns. We couldn't just use bank statements. So no HELOC for us.

  • Paradise, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    8y

    I'm hopeful that bank statement loans don't come back as a trend. Granted, when those loans go bad, it's job security for me but, it's just a lose lose situation when someone gets a loan without a review of real income. I don't' want to repeat 2008.

    It never ceases to amaze me that someone (for example) has $500K or $600K in "revenue" for the year but then only claim $15K in taxable income? "it's a legitimate deduction I'm allowed to take" is often the response. Great. I get it and they may be right but, that doesn't mean you then get to disregard that deduction and count it as income on the lending side. That's way beyond having your cake and eating it too!

  • Rental Property Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    Im having the same problem, trying to get a HELOC on my owner occupied property. I only want 50K with 150k equity . Im 1099 and have rental income of 3k/month but every bank wants a W2 income or tax returns that show a large net profit. Im trying a bunch of credit unions but so far nothing.

  • Paradise, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jake Langley:

    Im having the same problem, trying to get a HELOC on my owner occupied property. I only want 50K with 150k equity . Im 1099 and have rental income of 3k/month but every bank wants a W2 income or tax returns that show a large net profit. Im trying a bunch of credit unions but so far nothing.

     Start accurately reporting your income on your taxes and your situation might change? No bank wants a tax return that shows a large net profit. They want a tax return that shows an accurate reflection of your income so, if your tax return shows a small net profit or, a profit too small to qualify for a loan, that's either your actual income or, you lied to the IRS.

  • Rental Property Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    Thanks for your fatherly advice, but I did not Lie to the IRS, and I did accurately report my income taking full advantage of my allowable deductions.  If you would like to add a constructive recommendation on how I can get a loan, thats fine , otherwise your keep your condescending tone to yourself.  I am fully aware of the tax laws for real estate professionals!!!

  • Paradise, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jake Langley:

    Thanks for your fatherly advice, but I did not Lie to the IRS, and I did accurately report my income taking full advantage of my allowable deductions.  If you would like to add a constructive recommendation on how I can get a loan, thats fine , otherwise your keep your condescending tone to yourself.  I am fully aware of the tax laws for real estate professionals!!!

    So, if you didn't lie to the IRS, then, what you reported to them is exactly what your income is. Just accept it and get over yourself. I love how hurt people get when they don't like what they hear. You heard what you needed to hear if not what you wanted to hear. Constructively speaking, quit taking full advantage of all of the deductions allowable or, claim enough income to qualify. You can't have it both ways. Maybe you should grab a blanky and seek a safe zone if that's too harsh of the truth?

  • Rental Property Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    I have had enough of your **** RON- go somewhere else and Troll !!!

  • Paradise, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jake Langley:

    I have had enough of your **** RON- go somewhere else and Troll !!!

     "Troll"? That's laughable.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ron S.:
    Originally posted by @Jake Langley:

    I have had enough of your **** RON- go somewhere else and Troll !!!

     "Troll"? That's laughable.

     @Ron dude im sorry but you're just flat wrong Sir.  There are many legit ways you can have stable, consistent, positive monthly cashflow and have a year end tax loss. Section 179 expense, capital loss carry forward, or passive deductions on Schedule E, to name a few. In a simple *conceputal only* example, say your s-corp consistently generates 100k a year, and you decide it will invest in an oil and gas rig. Lets say the IRS allowed you to take 200k of that investment (which is spent on new equipment/construction) as a loss (rather than depreciate it)- then your return this year would show -100k in income, and your return next year would show $0 in income, even though you actually made 200k in income during that period!!! Do not confuse actual income with taxable income.

    By the same concept, my business could make 100k this year, but sell securities it has held  long term and take a -100k loss, resulting in zero taxable income. I decide when to sell those securities. If i want to get loan approval, then i could sell the day after the loan is underwritten so i can show 100k of income. In this respect, i can easily "manipulate" my tax returns while doing absolutely nothing wrong or illegal. In short, the banks are dumb dude. Your average underwriter doesnt know how to read a form 1120S. They'll probably ask for K1s, but understanding the K1s is another story...

  • Pinole, CA · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    depending how much faith you have in your next flip I would go private money for heloc. and flip. no question asked money on demand aslong as the flip is profitable

  • Paradise, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Kline:
    Originally posted by @Ron S.:
    Originally posted by @Jake Langley:

    I have had enough of your **** RON- go somewhere else and Troll !!!

     "Troll"? That's laughable.

     @Ron dude im sorry but you're just flat wrong Sir.  There are many legit ways you can have stable, consistent, positive monthly cashflow and have a year end tax loss. Section 179 expense, capital loss carry forward, or passive deductions on Schedule E, to name a few. In a simple *conceputal only* example, say your s-corp consistently generates 100k a year, and you decide it will invest in an oil and gas rig. Lets say the IRS allowed you to take 200k of that investment (which is spent on new equipment/construction) as a loss (rather than depreciate it)- then your return this year would show -100k in income, and your return next year would show $0 in income, even though you actually made 200k in income during that period!!! Do not confuse actual income with taxable income.

    By the same concept, my business could make 100k this year, but sell securities it has held  long term and take a -100k loss, resulting in zero taxable income. I decide when to sell those securities. If i want to get loan approval, then i could sell the day after the loan is underwritten so i can show 100k of income. In this respect, i can easily "manipulate" my tax returns while doing absolutely nothing wrong or illegal. In short, the banks are dumb dude. Your average underwriter doesnt know how to read a form 1120S. They'll probably ask for K1s, but understanding the K1s is another story...

     and under your scenario, you will not qualify for a loan on any traditional underwriting matrix. The lender is going off taxable income.

  • Rental Property Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 36 votes
    7y

    I am surprised there is not a more robust discussion on this topic.  Had I not had access to stated income loans back in the day, I would not now have millions in equity.  In fact, I might still be renting.  

    I found one lender that may do stated income HELOCS. I have not called to confirm.  Has anyone heard of or done business with this company: nshomefunding?

    https://www.nshomefunding.com/products/stated-income-loan/

    Their terms do not make clear whether their advertised stated income loan is available as a HELOC or just as a 'lump sum on day 1' loan:

    • Approved property Types: Residential properties such as; Investment Condos, SFR, 2-4 Unit.
    • Commercial properties such as; Multi-family, Mixed-Use, Retail, Office, Warehouse, self-storage, & Auto Repair
    • Self-Employed or Salaried Borrowers.
    • Up to 70% Loan-To-Value.
    • Minimum Fico Score is 650.
    • 3 & 8 Year Fixed Rate ARM programs available each with principle & interest payments amortizing over 30 years. No Balloon Payments!
    • No Tax Returns, No W2s & No Pay Stubs needed.
    • Asset Verification IS required for Purchases, but NOT for Refinances
    • Can close in the name of an LLC or Corp.
    • Loan amounts ranging from $100,000-$3,000,000. (Exceptions made for higher loan amounts on a case by case basis)
    • Conditional Loan Approvals issued within 24 hours
  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Possibly hard money.


  • Rental Property Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 36 votes
    7y

    Here is a helpful article about the state of stated income loans in 2019:

    https://mymortgageinsider.com/stated-income-loans-make-a-comeback-7284/

    I know someone with a HELOC for $650,000. He says he got that loan about 3 years ago based solely on equity.

  • Lender · Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ivan Gurrola:

    Were you able to get a lender? I am in a similar situation. I have a person who wants to do a partnership with his paid off personal residence (but is self employed with subpar credit), we would be splitting the profits 50/50, I will be doing the rehabbing. We are looking to get a HELOC (to provide the down payment for HML), flip right after rehab, and continue to flip for a year. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to get a property under contract for the flip soon.

    HI Ivan,

    Your other partner might be able to get a stated bank statement product loan if hes been self employed for 2+ years in the same business utilizing just deposits in his business and personal bank statements. This could be an option to obtain funds to do your JV deal given his credit and self employed scenario.

    Have you considered this? 

  • Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    That's not necessarily hard money, @Sam Shueh. It's more like "soft" money.  

    However, lots of "stated income" lenders portray themselves as that, but when the time comes to collect docs, they request bank statements with two years seasoning. That's not true stated income. It's important to look out for bait and switch tactics in the beginning, so they don't hit you with it at the end. 

    I see scenarios like this all the time from investors who looked for a stated income product, only to be hit with request for bank statements at some point. While it's understandable that these programs are niche and not for everybody, it's important to know that there is a definite need for them. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.