AirBNB Financing Possible?

AirBNB Financing Possible?

Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 25 posts · 8 votes

I've been toying with getting into AirBNB's. Has anyone had success securing a loan through a bank/CU for a purely AirBNB investment?

I know my W2 income is not enough to buy a standard single family home/condo investment unless there is a lease in place. 

Can I show a bank comparable AirBNB's? 

Any strategies or success stories?

I'm assuming I'd have to buy something with a tenant in it and covert it to an AirBNB or house hack and AirBNB the other half. 

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · National · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 101 votes
8y
Adam Ramsey there are some conventional methods out there to purchase a property, but as mentioned previously Airbnb revenue won’t go towards your income. There is some other options out there to grow your Airbnb business like Clear Banc, which loans up to 300,000 based on future booking revenue but for this you would need to already have a active listing set up for at least 6 months. Another option is Loftium which gives you a down payment loan to purchase a house, no interest rates, no repayment. They just require you to list one bedroom in the house on Airbnb and want to split that revenue.
See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Hey Adam, banks will lend on a purely airbnb property.  I have used conventional loans for all 5 of mine.  However, they will not usually look at potential Airbnb income.  You wouldn't necessarily have to buy something with a tenant in it, but you are on the right track with that thinking.  The idea of buying a duplex and living in one side and Airbnb-ing the other is a great way to start!

  • Investor · National · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 101 votes
    8y
    Adam Ramsey there are some conventional methods out there to purchase a property, but as mentioned previously Airbnb revenue won’t go towards your income. There is some other options out there to grow your Airbnb business like Clear Banc, which loans up to 300,000 based on future booking revenue but for this you would need to already have a active listing set up for at least 6 months. Another option is Loftium which gives you a down payment loan to purchase a house, no interest rates, no repayment. They just require you to list one bedroom in the house on Airbnb and want to split that revenue.
  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Adam Ramsey  Maybe a better question is ... how do I fund my Airbnb business?  You might take it from this approach.  There are a lot more options available to business lending than a single property that's Airbnb.  

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    Most will probably shy away from such, but if you have a good relationship with the bank, it's more likely they would be willing to pull the trigger.

  • Rental Property Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 17 votes
    8y
    Why would you need a loan? I'm assuming it's because you intend on buying and then starting your Airbnb correct? Their is a gentleman on bigger pockets that talks about renting a property and entering that rental unit with the idea of subletting. The key is coming up with a contract to present the landlord. Showing them your place your renting is going to be insured and guaranteed payment versus a regular tenant. This way you avoid paying taxes on the properties when you own them.
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Adam Ramsey:

    I know my W2 income is not enough to buy a standard single family home/condo investment unless there is a lease in place. 

    Can I show a bank comparable AirBNB's? 

    Any strategies or success stories?

    I'm assuming I'd have to buy something with a tenant in it and covert it to an AirBNB or house hack and AirBNB the other half. 

     Hi Adam,

    Assuming no overlays, rental income (as a traditional rental) can be 'counted' even on vacant real estate, for purchase transactions. No need for a lease if it is vacant AND it is a purchase transaction.

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Adam Ramsey

    Conventional financing will take a look at the comparable rentals in the area and provide a snapshot for the income approach, but those comparable rentals will be long term rentals.  You have to have a lender that looks at short term rentals if that is what you're going to be doing and if there is a market for it.  

    In many cases, the short term rentals will have a higher income number, even with a larger vacancy rate.

    Most banks, though, will only use the long term number.

    Stephanie

  • Sasha MohammedPro Member
    Lender · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2018 · 337 posts · 245 votes
    7y

    There are lenders that will allow you to utilize the STR (short term rental) income to qualify. They're far and few between, but it's do-able. Find a Broker who specializes in such loan-types, as most are going to be wholesale lenders and not accessible consumer/investor direct.

    Your original post, however, seems to be asking how you can PURCHASE using AirBnB income -- this, I haven't seen yet, personally. Most that are lending based on rents received will go off of the rental comps on the appraisal report for a purchase. Those numbers will be based on market conditions and will only include long-term rental income. That doesn't always mean the property has to be occupied with a tenant in order to purchase, it just means they won't be calculating off of STR income.

    If you can buy something vacant even in a strong rental market, you can refi it once you have a history of AirBnB income. 

  • Specialist · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 7 votes
    7y
    @Adam Ramsey hey Adam, we have closed with a lender who will do 80% LTV purchase/ 75% LTV refi based on Airbnb income. No income or tax return verification or personal DTI. Interested?
  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    What is the most advantageous way to structure your Airbnb investment properties for lenders? LLC? LLC and taxed as S corp? I have seen a few things.

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Adam Ramsey - I'd look towards a small portfolio lender.  Some may require it to be underwritten as if you were renting it by the month, but they'll have a lot more flexibility than most.  What I'm doing is buying them with hard money, getting them repaired and rented, then refinancing them with my commercial portfolio lender once I have a small tract record of rents.

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Michael Ablan:

    @Adam Ramsey - I'd look towards a small portfolio lender.  Some may require it to be underwritten as if you were renting it by the month, but they'll have a lot more flexibility than most.  What I'm doing is buying them with hard money, getting them repaired and rented, then refinancing them with my commercial portfolio lender once I have a small tract record of rents.

     Great advice.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Michael Ablan How long are you normally waiting to establish a rental record before refinancing? 

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt Grubb -  My lender isn't requiring any seasoning because of my track record and current portfolio.  I could see a lender requiring 6 months of proven results if this is your first time

  • Investor · Hercules, CA · Member since 2015 · 208 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Tommy Ishida  Hi Tommy!  I'm looking to refinance an AirBnb 10 unit building with 2 years of solid income.  Please share your lender contact.  Thank you!  -Leo

  • New Bern, NC · Member since 2017 · 246 posts · 173 votes
    6y

    @Adam Ramsey. Hi Adam. I have used a small local bank to finance two airbnb properties now. They would not do conventional loans on them, but they did offer commercial loans on them. I put 20% down on the first airbnb property earlier this year. I had enough equity in that property that my lender financed 100% of my second airbnb property I closed on in September by placing a second mortgage on the first property instead of using a down payment. My lender also used my airbnb earnings from my first property to help me qualify for the second property even though we've had it running less than a year. His financing has been way more flexible than conventional loans, and I have been pleasantly surprised with what he has helped us do.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.