Utilize the equity in my rental duplex, or should I trade?

Utilize the equity in my rental duplex, or should I trade?

Real Estate Broker · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 50 votes

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to either get pointed in the right direction for a lender, or get some feedback on a question of whether I should consider "trading up" out of the property I own.

I own a duplex in Richmond, Ca that I purchased in March of 2017 for $362,000. As part of my career advancement in real estate investing, I'm looking for access to more capital to reinvest and fund deals. I've been fortunate enough through my research and what I learned here on BP to have bought a solid investment property, which of course started with having the knowledge to identify and recognize the opportunity for what it was worth and act on it. The duplex currently grosses $3,600 per month. The property currently cash flows me about $790 per month after debt service and all expenses and the property management fee. Honestly, it's been a great property to own so far (I know the time is limited)  and the current tenants, on top of paying their own utilities, handle a lot of their own maintenance, too.

As an investor I'm in full acquisition mode and looking to acquire additional properties, deal permitting, and scale up swiftly. What I'd ideally like to do is tap into the equity in the property so that I can retain the property. Currently there's about $345k left on the loan balance. The issue then with refinancing and getting cash out is that the max LTV on a multi unit investment property is 70%, from what I understand. Similarly, the lenders I've researched that offer equity lines on investment properties are limited in their combined LTV. While I know the property has appreciated based on the market, I'm not sure what the property would appraise for, but I could tell you what I think investors would pay for it based on an NOI of ~$33,000 at the cap rates properties are trading at in the bay area.

So, if I can't borrow against my theoretical equity, the thought of selling and trading into a larger property had come into play to put that equity to work in a better way. I'm thinking that if I could trade up into another property that yields at least $800 of monthly cash flow, then that's probably worth it assuming I'll be rolling it into a larger property with either more scale or opportunity for appreciation. Let's assuming that after backing out commissions from a sale at $520k, I use that since price since that would make it a 6.4% cap, then I net a gain of $155k, then I'd need to target a cash on cash return of 6.1% or higher (my current return on equity). Am I right in that logic? 

For the record, I'm not claiming that I believe the duplex would sell at that price. I know that sort of appreciation in 18 months might seem crazy, but then again, maybe I just bought at a significant discount ;).

I'd love to hear what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

1Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Vandalia, MI · Member since 2018 · 569 posts · 264 votes
    7y

    I believe that you are thinking correctly but I do not see your numbers coming out.  You bought in 2017 and you have how much equity in the property? It doesn't look like you have any that you can access.  Buying another property in the area you are describing right now is going to take a  lot of work to find just to make $10.00 I would stay where you are.  You also said you can sell and gain 155 k. If that is true then figure out what you can buy with that 155 as your down payment find a deal but I will caution you that finding something might take a long time and you would most likely have to pay capital gains if you do not buy in the same year as you sell.

    I just think that for 10.00 a month difference I would not even get out of bed 1 minute earlier. So, for me this is a no go.

    Tag me if you have any questions

    Good Luck.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    Your numbers do not work and are based too much on assumptions. Trading up for the same cash flow is not logical. I would concentrate on finding a way to pull the equity out of your property without selling.

    Keep a very close eye on future appreciation/equity growth. At some point in time if you can not raise rents considerably higher and pull the equity you will need to sell otherwise the dead equity will turn the property into a liability. This is very common in your market. Too much dead equity is extremely wasteful since it greatly reduces your returns. If it can not be pulled you will need to sell to maximise those returns. If not you will end up as just another faith investor.

    With the value pushing up into the $600K range your rents are far too low and need to be ajusted upward or as I stated you will need to sell to maintaine the returns on your equity.

    Unfortunatly the majority of CA seemes to be a losing investment market for cash flow so inevitably you will need to either get out or heavily supliment your tenants rent out of your own pocket.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.