Do I have to wait for 6 month seasoning before refi?

Do I have to wait for 6 month seasoning before refi?

Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 2 votes

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a property for 41K that should appraise for about 60k. I was planning on purchasing with cash and refinancing out as quickly as possible. All I ever heard was waiting for 6 months to do the refinance  - that that was/is the seasoning period required by traditional lenders. But, I was listening to a podcast yesterday (I forget which one) and the story included a guy buying with cash and refinancing right away based on the appraised value.. Does anyone know of this? Thanks in advance.

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
7y

If you refi for rate and term (just getting out what you put in) there's generally no seasoning period.  The seasoning period is if you want to do a cash out (what you put in and part of the new equity).

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y

    If you refi for rate and term (just getting out what you put in) there's generally no seasoning period.  The seasoning period is if you want to do a cash out (what you put in and part of the new equity).

  • Jay HurstBusiness Member
    Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Conventional loans (fannie/Freddie) require you to have owned the property for 6 months before using the stepped up value to pull cash out. You can rate term/refi (no cash out) with a conventional loan right away with the new value as mentioned above.   

    However, there are portfolio loans available with NO seasoning meaning with a solid appraisal you can pull cash out using the new improved value. 

    Hurst Real Estate, INC4.991 Reviews
  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dan S.:

    Hi,

    I am looking to purchase a property for 41K that should appraise for about 60k. I was planning on purchasing with cash and refinancing out as quickly as possible. All I ever heard was waiting for 6 months to do the refinance  - that that was/is the seasoning period required by traditional lenders. But, I was listening to a podcast yesterday (I forget which one) and the story included a guy buying with cash and refinancing right away based on the appraised value.. Does anyone know of this? Thanks in advance.

    There are several non-conforming lenders that allow cash-out right away. The 6 month seasoning everyone always talks about is because Fannie Mae take the lower of the appraised value or purchase price in basing its loan to values. After 6 months, the purchase price is no longer factored in, so your LTV is based on the appraised value only.

  • Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Jason Hirko, @Jay Hurst, @Joe Villeneuve - thank you for your replies... makes sense -- so the term I learned was delayed financing... I hear you all that if I am just taking out what I put in then no seasoning needed  - the problem is I can't get a conventional for below 50K I am told so far. So, @Jay Hurst since this is the case, as you mention, I would need a "portfolio loan" with no seasoning with a solid appraisal at 60K, I could pull 70% out (42K) my purchase amount. Do you know portfolio lenders who will deal with those low numbers?

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dan S.:

    @Jason Hirko, @Jay Hurst, @Joe Villeneuve - thank you for your replies... makes sense -- so the term I learned was delayed financing... I hear you all that if I am just taking out what I put in then no seasoning needed  - the problem is I can't get a conventional for below 50K I am told so far. So, @Jay Hurst since this is the case, as you mention, I would need a "portfolio loan" with no seasoning with a solid appraisal at 60K, I could pull 70% out (42K) my purchase amount. Do you know portfolio lenders who will deal with those low numbers?

     ...or, you could take on a cash partner after the fact.  What's the difference to you if you pay a mortgage company, or a partner.  I bet you can find a cash partner, that is actually looking to invest less than $50k in RE, that won't need any seasoning.

  • Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Joe Villeneuve - a cash partner who wants 5.75% for 30 years?

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dan S.:

    @Joe Villeneuve - a cash partner who wants 5.75% for 30 years?

     No.  A cash partner that gets whatever you agree to in a "%" of the cash flow.

    What would your CF be without the loan?

    What would the loan payment be, if you could get it?

  • Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Approx. $400 a month without the loan.

    Loan payments of $41K on 30 year are $239 a month reducing cash flow to about $160 a month.

    So @Joe Villeneuve I would say X person gets 50% of cash flow for a 40K loan. Do I need an amortization schedule? How would this work?

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dan S.:

    Approx. $400 a month without the loan.

    Loan payments of $41K on 30 year are $239 a month reducing cash flow to about $160 a month.

    So @Joe Villeneuve I would say X person gets 50% of cash flow for a 40K loan. Do I need an amortization schedule? How would this work?

     Unfortunately, although the concept works, I would only apply it on a property that cash flowed much higher than this to begin with.  $239/month, without a loan, means you're only getting (if nothing goes wrong...?!?), about $2868/year.  I wouldn't do a deal with this thin a CF with a loan...or a partner, so I would have a hard time giving you any advise for adding a partner on this deal.  There just isn't any room...for a partner or a loan.  Sorry.

  • Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Joe Villeneuve - when you mean a loan - you were referring to what kind of loan?

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dan S.:

    @Joe Villeneuve - when you mean a loan - you were referring to what kind of loan?

     Any type of loan.  The one you were trying to get.  The one you said would be $239/month"

  • Contractor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 311 posts · 156 votes
    7y

    I would look for a private lender.  Givem 6-8pct.  Someone would probably be glad to lend 41k at that rate out of an SDIRA.  Plus its alot easier

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.