Getting equity out of rented condo with >4 properties held

Getting equity out of rented condo with >4 properties held

Matthew MuellerPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Hoboken, NJ · Member since 2010 · 40 posts · 6 votes

Hi,

I have conducted a national search on getting an investor HELOC on a property I own that has doubled in value since I've bought it. It was once my primary residence but I've since rented it and am no longer living in the area. I am well past all tax-favorable primary residence dates. It happens to cashflow quite positively rental wise, and the interest rate I doubt we see again in our lifetimes (30 year fixed, 3.25%, with 23 years left on the note). So I have no incentive to sell it or refinance it. Maybe someday I will 1031 it if I cannot figure out any other strategy.

I have found a handful of firms that would do a HELOC on an investment property (PenFed, TD, Wells) but I am running into underwriting guideline roadblocks on the fact that I have four properties currently being financed. Regardless of the specifics, they are 'auto-rejects' in terms of process. Regardless of my personal situation or that of the properties themselves.

I am trying to work with local banks and credit unions; while that is much more difficult to navigate, and the fixed costs of doing so are high, we haven't even gotten to the point of the question of 4 properties or more - which I now need to start asking up front.

Problem is, at least in the case of TD, I am even being told they won't do a refinancing for me on this property because of '4 being financed', which seems crazy to me.

Does anybody have any ideas or guidance as to how I could proceed to try to pull some equity out of this place?

0Reply
6 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jeff StephensPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 94 posts · 78 votes
    7y

    Matthew, you could always go and find a private loan to place in second position on the property, instead of a bank loan or HELOC product. When you're working directly with regular people, all the terms are negotiable.

  • Matthew MuellerPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Hoboken, NJ · Member since 2010 · 40 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Hi Jeff,

    I appreciate that insight - its a good one, but my day job takes the vast majority of my work week and I am not sure of a good way to maximize my efficiency vetting the people for that process.  Any thoughts you might have on navigating that I would appreciate.

    I am just a bit stunned a the hard '4 property' rule for how I was expecting to exploit the equity, but then I realize that most lenders do not even offer this product.

    Followup - it does seem that Wells will do this, but at a 60% LTV only. Good news is no closing costs and a promotional first year advance rate.

  • Specialist · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Hi, hope is will wanted to run by you, if you are willing to walk away from a conventional loan rates then there is a chance to refi at 75% ltv

    Rates will at least be in the 6% range based on credit 

  • Matthew MuellerPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Hoboken, NJ · Member since 2010 · 40 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Thanks, its pretty easy to arrive at a breakeven on any given term / rate structure vs the existing 30 year fixed, 3.25%, with 23 years left on the note.   Of course the reason it is so low is bc it was my primary residence when I did that.

    I guess the broader point is that I want to exploit the unrealized capital gain in the asset, not back out the basis on original mortgage.  

    In theory I could use the HELOC that is available to me (limited) to pay off existing mortgages on 2 of my other properties, but that seems a bit like churning assets - the true intention of accessing credit is to buy other properties outright with cash.

  • Specialist · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Matthew Mueller PM me and I can refer you to someone who can get u the cash out for sure

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    @Jane Hu knows someone that has 7 or 8 rentals and 3 of them have HELOCs from one bank IIRC.

  • Matthew MuellerPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Hoboken, NJ · Member since 2010 · 40 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Thanks - I am aware that Fremont Bank does HELOC on investments, but as I understand, it is ONLY for those in the state of California.


    I've reached out to Jane.

  • Mortgage Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 657 posts · 275 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Mueller so are you open to the idea of just a cash out refinance, or are you a strictly only wanting a HELOC to keep your low interest rate?

  • Matthew MuellerPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Hoboken, NJ · Member since 2010 · 40 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Nicholas Covington I am generally interested in keeping the rate low but depending on how low I could get a refi I would at least weigh it for its merits.  My guess is that we are talking high 5s on 20 years, not certain 30 even would exist, a few hundred BPS higher than my current rate.  I'm not sure how compelling I find that but I am willing to listen to my options.

  • Matthew MuellerPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Hoboken, NJ · Member since 2010 · 40 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Just to summarize for the benefit of all; On the national scene the following lenders offer something, just not for my purpose:

    Wells Fargo (They actually will on a case by case basis)

    TD Bank

    Pentagon Federal Credit Union

    First Republic Bank

    Huntington Bank (in their serviced states)

    Trustco Bank (in their serviced states)

    Possibly : America First Credit Union, waiting to hear back

    After that, it gets very local

  • Matthew MuellerPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Hoboken, NJ · Member since 2010 · 40 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    I am going to bump this thread one more time to ask of the crowd if anybody knows of any other firms either nationally or in the Boston area that might offer this product, or if anybody else has any ideas.

    I have a call into a Santander branch in Boston with this question.

    Thanks

    Matt

  • Matthew MuellerPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Hoboken, NJ · Member since 2010 · 40 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    For posterity, Santander will not do HELOCs on investment properties that are Condos.  But they will do other investment properties.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.