Leverage: Hard Money VS. Traditional Financing and Rehab Loan

Leverage: Hard Money VS. Traditional Financing and Rehab Loan

Rental Property Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 1 vote

Hey Everybody!

I am looking to put together my first deal in a couple months and I was brainstorming creative ways to do it. Originally I was thinking about going the hard money route, but am worried about the holding costs before refinancing if something goes wrong. Another idea I had was to just buy the house with traditional financing and get a construction loan to cover the rehab. Is this a possibility or does anyone have experience doing this? What terms could I expect for the construction loan?

Thanks in advance for your help!

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Garrett Hardin:

@Jay Hinrichs Thanks for the reply. I'm actually looking to invest on the east coast which I just moved from. Guess I should have specified that. Sounds like I need to do some more research into the lenders in the local area, but good to hear HM is a little softer these days

East coast lenders will be more expensive than most west coast especially if its a long foreclosure time line state like NJ or NY.. 

best rates are in CA  then everything else gets a little higher. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    on the west coast HML are only a point or two higher than a bank.. and there are very few banks that will do purchase and rehab loans.. unless your a premier depositor.. they just don't offer that product to the general public.

    this is why HML companies especially in CA have exploded and there is so much capital that its a race to the bottom on interest and points.. I mean its basically come down in HALF from when I used to loan HM just 10 years ago.

  • Rental Property Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs Thanks for the reply. I'm actually looking to invest on the east coast which I just moved from. Guess I should have specified that. Sounds like I need to do some more research into the lenders in the local area, but good to hear HM is a little softer these days

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Garrett Hardin:

    @Jay Hinrichs Thanks for the reply. I'm actually looking to invest on the east coast which I just moved from. Guess I should have specified that. Sounds like I need to do some more research into the lenders in the local area, but good to hear HM is a little softer these days

    East coast lenders will be more expensive than most west coast especially if its a long foreclosure time line state like NJ or NY.. 

    best rates are in CA  then everything else gets a little higher. 

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Garrett Hardin:

    @Jay Hinrichs Thanks for the reply. I'm actually looking to invest on the east coast which I just moved from. Guess I should have specified that. Sounds like I need to do some more research into the lenders in the local area, but good to hear HM is a little softer these days

    Hey Garrett.  @jay hinrichs is absolutely right.  West coast rates are better than we have out here, but we've seen some compression in  rates and fees as well.  For a new investor, fix and flip money has come down to about 10% and 3 points and generally 80% loan to value on the purchase.  That's a marked difference from the 12-14% and 2-4 points of 5 years ago. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Stephanie P. Is that 80% LTV for ARV or for LTC?

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Garrett Hardin

    80% on acquisition

    70-75% of ARV depending on lender

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.