Does anyone know of a bank that can do 20% on a Duplex?

Does anyone know of a bank that can do 20% on a Duplex?

Investor · Comstock Park, MI · Member since 2015 · 50 posts · 14 votes

I have a SF rental that I want to sell and 1031 into a duplex.  Couple of the local banks and CU that I've worked with in the past all say 25%.  Wondering if I can find a bank that's able to do 20% so I can look for a higher end duplex rather than spending more money to get into a less expensive one.  

0Reply
17 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2019 · 462 posts · 365 votes
    6y

    You haven't talked to enough local banks then. Our local bank actually does 10% down on the purchase price and finances 100% of the renovation cost as long as total debt on the property is 80% of the renovated value of the home.

    It took some hard work to find the bank that offers the best deals but they are out there and worth it!

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Sure, @Sean N. Plenty of banks and CUs will do 20% down on an investment property. Start the leg work of calling each one to see what kind of products they have.

  • Rental Property Investor · St.Louis MO · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    Agree I've done 20% down as investment property on SFR and Duplex after having to start with the 25% down. I'm assuming you've already tried Flagstar, Chase PNC, Michigan First. I had a friend in that area couple years ago that didn't go into detail but said he had gotten some good deals.

  • Battle Creek, MI · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    You might try Amerifirst Mortgage. 

  • Investor · Comstock Park, MI · Member since 2015 · 50 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    Thank you everyone for some input.  I made a list of all the CUs in my area and I'll be making some phone calls.  I have a SF I want to sell and 1031 into a duplex.  I have 2 other duplexes and for some reason I have less problems with them than the SF.  So, I want to zero in on a niche (1" wide - mile deep) and just focus on duplexes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.