Quick! How would you make this deal fly?

Quick! How would you make this deal fly?

Real Estate Broker · Bozeman, MT · Member since 2012 · 220 posts · 52 votes

I've been in the process of putting together a private money info packet, as I've not used anything other than conventional financing to date. HOWEVER, this deal has presented itself to me before my ducks are in a row, and is currently in the "too good to be true" category.

I'm still doing my research and have yet to apply my complete skeptical eye on it (i.e.: my contractor) but right now this looks like it could be my white whale if it pans out. I don't want to pass on it just because the timing is a little off.

It's a triplex, bank owned, which the numbers showing decent cash flow with room for raising the rents without much work. I'd like to make this deal work using private money for the down payment, financing the rest. Here are my questions:

1. I can't seem to come up with some natural jargon for friends and close colleagues to approach them about private money lending. It seems forced--anyone have an elevator pitch they'd care to throw at me?

2. As incentive for loaning the money, how do I offer them collateral? First lien? What if there are multiple investors? What's the best way to structure this so they have confidence in the deal and I don't have to take on a partner.

3. This is the first deal I'll do without actually living in the property (though I am considering doing an fha and living in it, but not my first choice due to pmi) so how do I complete the loan paperwork with the bank--it's a legal triplex but currently vacant due to a foreclosure a few months back. Would the bank look at rental history from the previous pm and take that into account.

Excited about the possibilities with this deal. Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice.

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13y

Try contacting the water company for historic usages.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2013 · 415 posts · 84 votes
    13y

    Maybe some others can help here.. but what if you gave Private Lenders collateral in a different property so you can have your down payment money.... Is this an option for her?

  • Real Estate Broker · Bozeman, MT · Member since 2012 · 220 posts · 52 votes
    13y

    I'm looking into using our current residence to pull a LOC for the down--we have a decent amount of equity, and I'd rather use that for a better rate than pay private or hard money rates if I can do so.

    As for it being the deal of the century -- it needs work, work that can be done but work that might be daunting to most. Plus the fact that it doesn't have tenants in place means no instant income. Let's call it an tired diamond in the rough.

    I suppose it depends on what your interpretation of a deal is--I like fixers. As long as it's the type of fixin' that makes sense.

    I'm leaning towards installing submeters for each unit to deal with the water issue, which look like they run a couple hundred up to about $700 installed. Probably install ourselves and pay the submeter company to bill the tenants, with us paying the water co. directly to avoid the scenario mentioned.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.