Rent Skimming - long

Rent Skimming - long

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes

Background,
A woman who couldn't afford her payments left Maryland. Her bank started foreclosure and stopped about 1 1/2 years ago. She filled out the paperwork for a deed in lieu of foreclosure and the bank refused to accept it. For 6 months or more she begged the bank to foreclose because she didn't want the liability of a vacant house in Baltimore. The Bank has done nothing.

The deal
We share the same lawyer and he asked me if I wanted the property for free, with the caveat that there was a $200k Mortgage. Out agreement states that she is aware that my taking the property will have no affect on her obligations to the bank. If there is a foreclosure it would show on her record and she would be liable for any deficiency.

Research
I asked three attorneys if it was legal for me to accept rent payments while not paying the mortgage. All concluded I have no obligation to the bank. They also felt I had little risk with the tenant because if a bank forecloses they are obligated to honor the lease. However they recommend and I obviously would disclose the possibility of foreclosure to a tenant. I will likely use a month to month rental agreement.

Tonight I read in a thread about Quit claim deeds, about "Rent Skimming" laws.

0Reply
87 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · California and Florida · Member since 2008 · 319 posts · 194 votes
13y

Why would you want to be even associated with this kind of transaction?

See this reply in the discussion

80 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    @Alex Baev @Richard Dunlop  We have had this rented for almost two years with no problems from the tenants. The bank hasn't made a peep. The loan was assigned to Deutsche Bank, which I believe is where bad loans go to die. 

    to @Aaron Norris question from 2 years ago:

    This has been by far our most profitable rental.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

    @Alex Baev @Richard Dunlop  We have had this rented for almost two years with no problems from the tenants. The bank hasn't made a peep. The loan was assigned to Deutsche Bank, which I believe is where bad loans go to die. 

    to @Aaron Norris question from 2 years ago:

    This has been by far our most profitable rental.

     Some people will always fail to see a strategic opportunity .... this one should get the 'truffle pig' award !!!

  • Lender · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Ned Carey

    Good for you! You made some money, the previous owner got out of a liability she didn't want, the tenants are getting a great value, and the neighborhood has one less vacant and neglected home. I hope you keep it for another two years. (Or more!)

    I understand the concerns of those that are against this kind of thing. There are certainly those out there with the intent to defraud and mistreat people and I have no sympathy for them. I also have no sympathy for the big banks that got taxpayer bailouts and leave problems like this for other people to solve.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

    @Alex Baev @Richard Dunlop  We have had this rented for almost two years with no problems from the tenants. The bank hasn't made a peep. The loan was assigned to Deutsche Bank, which I believe is where bad loans go to die. 

    to @Aaron Norris question from 2 years ago:

    This has been by far our most profitable rental.

    I see many dead loans assigned to DB.  Also to HSBC.

    Did your seller file BK at any point? (Sorry, can't remember the details on this one.)  BK is the common denominator I see for loans that "fall through the cracks".

    If the lender initiated foreclosure today, are values up sufficiently that you would pay it off?  Would you attempt to negotiated a discounted payoff?

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Did your seller file BK at any point? (Sorry, can't remember the details on this one.)  BK is the common denominator I see for loans that "fall through the cracks".

    If the lender initiated foreclosure today, are values up sufficiently that you would pay it off?  Would you attempt to negotiated a discounted payoff?

    As far as I know she has never filed Bankruptcy. 

    No, values are not yet up enough to make this a deal. I would however try to negotiate a deal if the bank ever wakes up.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.