Skip to content
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Barrett Lund
Votes |
Lost All Faith in Contractor - What Are My Options?

Barrett Lund
Posted Nov 19 2022, 15:08

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong area to post. 

I am pretty fed up with my contractor and would like some advice on what my available options are. I started the renovation/remodel of my four unit complex in April of this year. This was quite the extensive project, and I was comfortable with the initial budget, and timeline of 90 to 120 days. We are now in November and the project is nowhere close to being completed as initially devised. Throughout the months of working on this project, there have been things that have come up that were not able to be seen in the initial inspection (wood rot, termite damage, etc). This has obviously made the initial budget more expensive. However the contractor never told me how much these things were going to cost, just that they were getting done. I asked for numbers, and never got answers. We are now at the point where he is telling me he has spent a lot more than what I have given him. I never gave permission for any overages. I have also asked on several occasions to get an updated completion timeframe and final (hard) budget number and the contractor is failing to do so. I am at the point now where, I want to (reasonably) pay for what has been done, nothing more and part ways. What is the best course of action to do so? Or general advice for my situation. I can provide more detail as needed. 

Loading replies...