Depreciation calculation based on purchase price or recent appraisal price?

Depreciation calculation based on purchase price or recent appraisal price?

Member since 2021 · 31 posts · 10 votes

New investor- I am renting my first property (my first home). My accountant - who is not real estate specific per say- sent me my schedule E forms with real estate tax calculation. The purchase price of the home I am renting was 885,000. It was appraised last year at 1,200,000.

Is depreciation calculated based on the purchase price? I was hoping it would be based on the recently appraised price?

Thanks for fielding this question.

Raj

3Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Accountant · McKinney, TX · Member since 2023 · 393 posts · 580 votes
3y

@Raj Shah I assume this was factored in, but just in case it was not there should be an allocable amount for land which is not depreciated. I've seen more than a fair share of returns where there are buildings and improvements with no land basis.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    It's always based on the purchase price.

    Don't forget to add the closing costs into the basis of your house.  So if it was 885K with 10K of closing costs you should be depreciating 895K

  • Member since 2021 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    okay great- that a is very helpful!

    I so appreciate this group- thanks for your help.

  • Ricky A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chapel Hill, NC · Member since 2014 · 135 posts · 112 votes
    3y

    Depreciation is always based on purchase price.

    Think of it this way:  Business assets (whether a piece of machinery or a house) are purchased to generate income.  These assets are assumed to have a useful life over which they will produce that income.  Therefore, the IRS lets you expense the cost of that asset (i.e., the purchase price) over the assumed useful life of that asset.

    So, I don't think of depreciation as some magical gift from the IRS.  To me, it's simply a recognition that the cost of the asset should be spread over the assumed useful life.  However, depreciation is especially great when it comes to real estate because, unlike machinery and other assets which tend to go down in value over time through use, real estate goes up in value while we still get to use the deduction for cost.

  • Accountant · McKinney, TX · Member since 2023 · 393 posts · 580 votes
    3y

    @Raj Shah I assume this was factored in, but just in case it was not there should be an allocable amount for land which is not depreciated. I've seen more than a fair share of returns where there are buildings and improvements with no land basis.

  • New to Real Estate · Texas Christian University · Member since 2022 · 118 posts · 56 votes
    3y

    Raj, take the purchase price and divide it by 27.5 years and you should get a relative amount that of which you can depreciate on your taxes. 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    It is based on purchase price not appraised valuation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.