Should I Do a Cost Segregation on My Single Family Property?

Should I Do a Cost Segregation on My Single Family Property?

Rental Property Investor · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2021 · 72 posts · 54 votes

I'm currently in a single family house hack I am about to move out of. Can I do a cost segregation on a property I didn't purchase as an investment property but plan to use that way? Does it make sense to run a cost segregation study on a $350k property? Would it be worth it, and how do I go about finding someone to complete the study?

Thank you for your time!

3Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Attorney · Boston, MA · Member since 2023 · 139 posts · 75 votes
3y
Quote from @Jillyan MacMorris:

Thank you @Julio Gonzalez! I looked into the cost of a study, so I'll reach back out to them to ask for that analysis!


 It never hurts to get a free feasibility analysis and then run it by your tax advisor as well. 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Insurance Agent · All 50 States · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    Hi Jilyan. I would check with @Jeff Nash

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y

    @Jillyan MacMorris I'd say a single isn't worth it, especially if it was your primary. 

    It'll probably cost $5k and the best tax benefit of all is tax-free gain if you sell within 3 yrs of renting it out.  

  • Accountant · McKinney, TX · Member since 2023 · 393 posts · 580 votes
    3y

    More information would be needed like what is your tax situation (REP or not, AGI), when did you originally buy the property, what is it's value now versus when you bought it - how much it has appreciated (maybe you sell it?), are you converting it now into just a straight-up long-term rental, what are your goals? Depending on your answers to these types of questions, getting a cost seg done on an SFR might be justified. It doesn't always have to be a higher cost multi-family or commercial property to benefit you, but some preliminary analysis is needed. I'll connect with you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2021 · 72 posts · 54 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Stanley J Black:

    Hi Jilyan. I would check with @Jeff Nash


     Thank you!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 661 posts · 389 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jillyan MacMorris:

    I'm currently in a single family house hack I am about to move out of. Can I do a cost segregation on a property I didn't purchase as an investment property but plan to use that way? Does it make sense to run a cost segregation study on a $350k property? Would it be worth it, and how do I go about finding someone to complete the study?

    Thank you for your time!


     Hi Jillyan, There are a few questions that you will need to answer to get a realistic no-cost estimate of what you can expect for tax benefits and added cash flow on this property. Jeff Nash listed some above. We do studies on properties with purchase prices of between $200K and $2.5 Billion. Let me know if I can help. 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    If you will benefit from a cost segregation study in the near future(reduction in taxes) - Yes, get it done
    If all the added depreciation will just incase your suspended losses - No, do not get it done.

    Easy analysis that can be done with you and your CPA.

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Jillyan MacMorris It's definitely worth looking into. We've seen properties with a purchase price as low as $150,000 benefit from a cost segregation study. Most cost segregation companies will provide you with a free cost/benefit analysis quote so you can get an estimate as to the tax benefits you could get from doing the study.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2021 · 72 posts · 54 votes
    3y

    Thank you @Julio Gonzalez! I looked into the cost of a study, so I'll reach back out to them to ask for that analysis!

  • Attorney · Boston, MA · Member since 2023 · 139 posts · 75 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jillyan MacMorris:

    Thank you @Julio Gonzalez! I looked into the cost of a study, so I'll reach back out to them to ask for that analysis!


     It never hurts to get a free feasibility analysis and then run it by your tax advisor as well. 

  • Accountant · Edina, MN · Member since 2020 · 172 posts · 97 votes
    3y

    The cost seg engineers will give you a free analysis and it would help meeting with a real estate specific tax planning CPA to weigh all the costs and benefits. Sometimes it might look good on paper but you find out later that you didn't qualify for all of the savings. Better to find that out ahead of time.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2021 · 72 posts · 54 votes
    3y

    Thank you both, @John Malone and @Chris McCormack! That's very helpful. I'll check in with my CPA.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.