Making your spouse a business partner on your rental properties

Making your spouse a business partner on your rental properties

Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 6 votes

I have been mostly managing the rental properties on my own and more recently, after studying a lot more on the tax benefits, I realized that a couple of the trips that I take to meet with my property management companies can be deducted.  Over time, I want to start involve my spouse in parts of the business decisions and/or record keeping since we tend to travel together.  What's the right way to make that happen?  some say to put her on the payroll, but I don't have any business entity right now.  is that the only approach?  or if we start tracking how she is contributing to the business decisions, that would work as well?  Thank you in advance for this great community!

1Reply
34 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Does she own any of the rentals?
    - that makes it easier.

    Otherwise, document what she does for the company. 

    Of course, check with a tax professional.

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    .

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    My spouse stays at home with the kids while I am still working a W2 job. Since we are a single income household, this would be an easy route for DH to qualify for Real Estate Professional Status when we file taxes. 

    From my limited understanding REP Status, all of our Passive Losses can be claimed against our active (W2) income. 

    Don't forget if kids help out with mowing lawn or other tasks to contribute to the business, they can be a big tax break too. Can use them (or your spouse) as paid models on your Social Media accts, etc.? The key is to document the heck out of any such desired deduction and make sure that you CPA is on-board.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.