Tax Professional that Specializes in Real Estate

Tax Professional that Specializes in Real Estate

Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Hi all.

I’m planning on doing a 1031 exchange where I sell a rental property in CA and purchase one in Oregon or Washington (Portland or Vancouver). At the same time, if someone can also do my normal (W-2) taxes along with that, it’d be awesome to establish a relationship.

I’m looking for someone to give guidance on tax implications of investment decisions as well as handle the bulk of the work for preparing yearly taxes. Please reach out via DM and we can chat. I’m located in San Diego but are willing to work with anyone familiar with CA and Oregon/Washington laws.


3Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 278 posts · 136 votes
3y

Hey @Jonathan Kang! I recommend using Toija Beutler (https://www.firstexchange.com/) to help out with the 1031 exchange since there are a lot of moving parts to it. She is really knowledgeable about this kind of stuff. I'm not sure if she does much on the side of the regular taxes. 

For the CPA, I'd talk with Jon - https://www.latscpa.com/

If you want to connect further, let me know! 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 278 posts · 136 votes
    3y

    Hey @Jonathan Kang! I recommend using Toija Beutler (https://www.firstexchange.com/) to help out with the 1031 exchange since there are a lot of moving parts to it. She is really knowledgeable about this kind of stuff. I'm not sure if she does much on the side of the regular taxes. 

    For the CPA, I'd talk with Jon - https://www.latscpa.com/

    If you want to connect further, let me know! 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Just be mindful that California has unique rules for taxpayers that sell a property in California via 1031 exchange.
    Make sure that you work with a tax professional who is aware of this.

  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    3y

    Jonathan Kang BP has a Tax Professional Directory as another resource to find Real Estate CPA that can help. Although, right now with 9/15 and 10/15 deadline a lot of CPAs are fairly busy. If this is for 2023 you'll have better luck finding a great CPA in November. 

  • Chicago · Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Yes,  you will need specialized help for California,  they have some claw back provisions.  Also, exchanges won't work in the US when combined with a foreign country.   

    Graham

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.