Can I take passive depreciation as a QREP against active income?

Can I take passive depreciation as a QREP against active income?

Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 414 posts · 233 votes

BP - need some help here!

I'm a full time investor focused Realtor in the Atlanta metro. I invested in a smaller multifamily deal (24 units) with my buddy where I am 100% passive. We've gotten our K1 back and there is a decent chunk of bonus depreciation there. I will not meet the matierial participation requirements for this deal. I'm waiting for feedback from my accountant on this one but wanted to see what the community has to say about this.

Am I able to take this 'passive loss' against my 'active income'?

TIA!

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Accountant , CPA, MBA in Finance, MS in Taxation · Redmond, WA · Member since 2025 · 172 posts · 135 votes
1y

If you don't materially participate in the real estate rental activity, no, you don't get to deduct the passive losses.

You need to wait until you have passive income or you dispose of the activity.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Not a tax pro, so obviously get advice from yours. 

    If you are a full time realtor, you should have REPS- if so, you should be able to use those losses against your income as an agent and investor. 

  • Accountant , CPA, MBA in Finance, MS in Taxation · Redmond, WA · Member since 2025 · 172 posts · 135 votes
    1y

    If you don't materially participate in the real estate rental activity, no, you don't get to deduct the passive losses.

    You need to wait until you have passive income or you dispose of the activity.

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Josh Bowser Since you're 100% passive in the 24-unit deal and don’t meet material participation, the bonus depreciation creates a passive loss, which generally can’t offset active income like Realtor commissions. Even if you qualify as a Real Estate Professional (REPS), you must also materially participate in the activity or properly group it with your active rentals to use the loss against active income. Without that, the loss is suspended and carried forward to offset future passive income or gains. If your modified AGI is under $150K, you may qualify for a limited $25K passive loss deduction, but this phases out quickly. Talk to a real estate CPA about grouping or election strategies to potentially unlock those losses.

    This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    Do you have a grouping election in place for your rental activities? 

    If so discuss that with your CPA. There is an impact that comes into play with having a limited partnership interest within the rental grouping and if material participation in the grouped rental activity is still possible. 

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Josh Bowser:

    BP - need some help here!

    I'm a full time investor focused Realtor in the Atlanta metro. I invested in a smaller multifamily deal (24 units) with my buddy where I am 100% passive. We've gotten our K1 back and there is a decent chunk of bonus depreciation there. I will not meet the matierial participation requirements for this deal. I'm waiting for feedback from my accountant on this one but wanted to see what the community has to say about this.

    Am I able to take this 'passive loss' against my 'active income'?

    TIA!


    Here is a detailed description of your tax situation:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51-tax-legal-issues-con... 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.