Thoughts on ROBS?

Thoughts on ROBS?

Goodlettsville, TN · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 1 vote

Because I recently left a longtime employer, I will have the opportunity to roll out a 401(k) and a lump-sum pension. My CPA is vehemently opposed to a "rollover as business startup." I'm interested to hear other opinions about ROBS, both pro and con.

I've been a buy-and-hold investor for a decade and a half; now I'm interested in adding rehabs or other immediate-income activity. Access to the 401(k) money is not essential, but it might let me do more and do it faster.

Thoughts?

0Reply
23 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Lender · La Jolla, CA · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 26 votes
    11y

    Hi Lisa,

    Can you roll it over into a self directed IRA and put a portion into a Roth IRA, Then you can invest inside the retirement account. I know of investors killing it investing in notes.

    Terry Lewis

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y

    Here is another thread from a couple years ago where I discuss my experience:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/6436...

    Despite my follow-up post in that thread, I still wouldn't do it again today...

  • Roseland, NJ · Member since 2012 · 73 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    Lisa the IRS has a lot of issues with ROBS. There is a blog post with an article I wrote on the subject on my web site.  Otherwise, email me directly and I'd be happy to send it to you.

    Bottom line, to do it within guidelines and correctly, you need an experienced private attorney who will also guide you through the ongoing intricacies. It's tricky. 

    Jaime

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    The rollover as business startup (ROBS) transaction is a viable option for those that don't have other financing options or don't want to go into debt. Because it is an investment option within the business financing 401k plan, you don't have to use all of your retirement funds to finance your own business.  It is never a good idea to invest all of you retirement funds in just one investment option (in this case your own business); therefore, investment diversification is always the best bet. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.