Real Estate Lawyer to Write up Rental Agreement

Real Estate Lawyer to Write up Rental Agreement

New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes

Hi all,

Not looking for a specific person, but would like to know roughly how much a real estate attorney would charge (if they would even do this) to write up my rental agreements for tenants with their names on it.

I am in the process of purchasing a multi-family home and will be looking to have new rental agreements signed by all occupied tenants. There are no leases here, they are all month-to-month, so this new agreement would be set by myself. I figured having a lawyers name on this paper (and written by one) would show the tenants that I am prepared and not one who they think they can try and take advantage of. 

All thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks

0Reply
67 views

Most Popular Reply

Ray HurteauPro Member
Developer · Boston, MA · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 66 votes
11y

I agree with @Rob Beland - leases are standard forms in Boston - having an attorney's name on the top doesn't do anything - the terms you have in the lease and your lease addendum, which would be used in court (if it has to go there) are what you really should care about.  

If anything, you should come up with your own rental application rather than use the GBREB form, which is too condensed and doesn't ask for enough.  There are plenty of suggestions on BP, especially in the ultimate tenant guide, which is awesome!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Leominster, MA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 589 votes
    11y

    Go online and search for Greater Boston Real Estate Board and use their lease. Its free. Also look into joining a local landlord association. They will likely have a library of resources available. Good luck. 

  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes
    11y
    I think I'm not so much worried about language (although important) but more so having an attorney header on the agreement to show I mean business. But will definitely look into that!
  • Ray HurteauPro Member
    Developer · Boston, MA · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    I agree with @Rob Beland - leases are standard forms in Boston - having an attorney's name on the top doesn't do anything - the terms you have in the lease and your lease addendum, which would be used in court (if it has to go there) are what you really should care about.  

    If anything, you should come up with your own rental application rather than use the GBREB form, which is too condensed and doesn't ask for enough.  There are plenty of suggestions on BP, especially in the ultimate tenant guide, which is awesome!

  • Real Estate Investor · Framingham, MA · Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    Hi Robert,

    As I have yet to purchase a property I have been doing everything I can to learn and prepare as much as I can ahead of time. Something I did recently was I took 2 course's on Landlord/Tenant law which was taught by a former Landlord attorney who is working now for the DOJ. These are offered at Keefe Tech a vocational school in Framingham. The first was going over the Law's specific to MA and the second was more of a hands on course that provided you with a rental package that had all the materials needed to legally rent in MA. Prices were reasonable, under $100 for each class. 2 classes per course and were about 3 hours long. For someone who had very little knowledge it was an excellent starting point for me both in knowledge and in getting critical information and documentation. 

    Just a thought for you

  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Auger:

    Hi Robert,

    As I have yet to purchase a property I have been doing everything I can to learn and prepare as much as I can ahead of time. Something I did recently was I took 2 course's on Landlord/Tenant law which was taught by a former Landlord attorney who is working now for the DOJ. These are offered at Keefe Tech a vocational school in Framingham. The first was going over the Law's specific to MA and the second was more of a hands on course that provided you with a rental package that had all the materials needed to legally rent in MA. Prices were reasonable, under $100 for each class. 2 classes per course and were about 3 hours long. For someone who had very little knowledge it was an excellent starting point for me both in knowledge and in getting critical information and documentation. 

    Just a thought for you

     How/where did you find out about these courses? How long ago did you take it?

  • Real Estate Investor · Framingham, MA · Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    I took them earlier this year. Since I live in Framingham, I get a flyer for the Keefe At Night program for Keefe Tech which has more than just Landlord stuff, but I happened to notice it while flipping thru. 

    http://www.keefetech.org/

    That is the website for the school. They are under the Adult ED section and Keefe at Night in the catalog. They are under the Real Estate section.

     Hope this helps!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Brookline, MA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    An attorney header doesn't mean squat. In all but a couple situations the tenant will win in court. GREB is the way to go. Pre-negotiated proven wording, standard and used in thousands of rentals.

  • Investor · The Bronx · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Good Morning,

    I'm looking for an estate attorney in New York City to create or use prior Master Lease agreement with an option to purchase. This is for a 7 unit in Brooklyn.

    Thanks.

    917 449-2930 

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 958 votes
    5y

    @Hayden Obrien, check out Richard Bayer from Einbinder & Dunn LLP. Let him know I sent you. https://www.ed-lawfirm.com/tea...

  • Investor · The Bronx · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Thanks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.